Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What shot is most satisfying to you? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452812)

mmk 01-27-2013 05:34 PM

What shot is most satisfying to you?

The other night I had a number of really nice serves, a couple of overhead smashes where I could really wail, and a few great passing shots. Each felt great in the moment, and while smashes are exhilarating, the passes were the most satisfying, probably because I usually manage to screw them up. So, what shots make you really appreciate playing?

Alchemy-Z 01-28-2013 03:32 AM

I like crushing a winner on my return of serve. something about ending the point on the first shot after the serve that really gets to your opponent and causes him to tighten up.

Maui19 01-28-2013 03:36 AM

A hard BH pass against two guys at the net--I remember those vividly for quite some time.

Jeepers 01-28-2013 03:37 AM

The most satisfying shot is when the opponent is at the net and they drop shot you...you run in thinking you won't make it but just get the ball on the tip of your racket and flick it along the net past him. The ball is moving slowly and inches from your opponent but all they can do is watch it soar past them in slow motion : )

dizzlmcwizzl 01-28-2013 04:10 AM

My personal favorite is a backhand drive down the line for a clean winner.

I don't care where the opponent is as long as their shoulders slump as they realize I have just beaten then with my 9th best shot.

floridatennisdude 01-28-2013 04:44 AM

Shoulder height forehand down the line that I flatten out and it skids through the court.

It's my favorite shot and when I catch it clean, the opponent knows not to hang a high forehand to me.

floridatennisdude 01-28-2013 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 7173972)

I don't care where the opponent is as long as their shoulders slump as they realize I have just beaten then with my 9th best shot.

That's pretty funny

mib 01-28-2013 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmk (Post 7173069)
The other night I had a number of really nice serves, a couple of overhead smashes where I could really wail, and a few great passing shots. Each felt great in the moment, and while smashes are exhilarating, the passes were the most satisfying, probably because I usually manage to screw them up. So, what shots make you really appreciate playing?

A good running forehand. Nothing feels better than turning a difficult shot into an outright winner.

dlam 01-28-2013 04:54 AM

Any shot that ends the match in favorite for me to win the match. Even an unforced error in his part after a mediocre shot back into the court

North 01-28-2013 05:14 AM

Return of serve for a winner, especially if the opponent has a great serve. Whenever I hit a return like that, I just casually stroll over to the other side like the winner was exactly what I intended to do.

mikeler 01-28-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Funny stuff. I'd say the backhand down the line is always my favorite one to pull off.

Mauvaise 01-28-2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

That's my favourite too. Except it's my best shot. :)

It's one of the best things about being a 3.0 - everyone always hits to your backhand because they've been taught it's the weaker side. For me it's my stronger side, so I get to practice this shot a lot. And then just when I've got them thinking I'm always going to go up the line, I'll send one cross court. Make a pattern, break a pattern.

My second favourite is the return winner. My serve sucks so bad, that I learned early on to develop a good return. The best compliment I got was after a rec match (mixed doubles, all probably around the 6.0 range) when my male opponent told me he couldn't figure out where to serve to me because I nailed forehand and backhand returns.

IA-SteveB 01-28-2013 05:35 AM

Mine is a crush down the alley past the net guy, especially on a return of serve. Any hint of stepping to poach is a good opportunity. I don't know why, but I like that even more than an overhead.

goran_ace 01-28-2013 05:44 AM

My favorite is finishing the point with a drop volley after approaching off a big forehand from midcourt.

Cindysphinx 01-28-2013 05:57 AM

My favorite is a topspin lob winner.

Aw, it is just so very sweet. Your opponents have both come to net, believing they are on offense. They have issued a challenge: "Try to blast the ball past us, we dare you!"

And then I whip a topspin lob over them, turning defense into offense.

The very best part is how they always run for it. But they are never, ever fast enough to catch up with it if it bounces because of the spin.

Sometimes there is even a soundtrack when they try to run it down. They crash into the back curtain ("Ka-thunk!" followed by "Are you OK?"). Or they barely get a racket on it and try to throw it over one shoulder and spike it into a light fixture ("Clooooong!").

Good times.

JackB1 01-28-2013 06:01 AM

I just love slamming a return right back at the net guy who is playing right on top of the net and then watching him back up next time his partner has a 2nd serve :)

Also hitting a forehand right in between both guys at the net is fun too. Another favorite is when I am pulled way out wide on my f/h side and both guys on the other team are standing there relaxed because they don't think I will get there and then I hit a running f/h slice that barely goes over the middle of the net and dips at their feet. I LOVE this!

westside 01-28-2013 06:18 AM

The One Handed DTL winner and the return winner off a big serve are my top 2, but since they've already been said...

I love hitting a drop shot or drop volley that you KNOW they wont be getting to in time...so you just stand there watching them run to it...holding your racquet by the throat and watching that ball bounce twice.

Govnor 01-28-2013 06:21 AM

Return of a good serve for a clean winner is unbeatable!! I had one not too long ago during a doubles game on the Ad court. It was sweet, I'm not sure Andy Murray could have gotten to it, I hit it so perfectly.

Bergboy123 01-28-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westside (Post 7174205)
The One Handed DTL winner and the return winner off a big serve are my top 2, but since they've already been said...

I love hitting a drop shot or drop volley that you KNOW they wont be getting to in time...so you just stand there watching them run to it...holding your racquet by the throat and watching that ball bounce twice.

Same for me! I love that shot, except instead of watching it it's even better to hit a perfect dropshot and turn your back on the point, knowing that they can't possibly get to it.

texacali 01-28-2013 06:40 AM

I'm grateful for anything I get back, but I like the shoulder height forehand return winner.