Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   TW Questions/Comments (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   TW: String setup for Prestige S (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452830)

Minion 01-27-2013 07:54 PM

TW: String setup for Prestige S

Hi, i'm battling a bit to find the right string setup for my Prestige S.

At the moment i have my Dunlop Bio Max200G strung with Pro Hurricane Tour 16 @ 56lbs, and its perfect.

I have my Youtek Prestige MP strung with Pro Hurricane Tour 17 @ 54lbs, and is also perfect.

I tried the PHT 16 @ 56lbs in the Prestige S, but didn't quite like it - i almost expected the same result as with the BioMax200G as both have the same head size and string pattern, but it felt weird, not at all what i was looking for. So i'm a bit confused:confused:

You playtested all the above racquets, can you please offer some advise? I really like the Pro Hurricane tour strings - they're nice and crisp, great pop and doesn't hurt my elbow or shoulder.:)

JackB1 02-01-2013 10:31 AM

the Presige S is lower powered than your Bio Maxx 200G. It's also known to be very string sensitive, so you may have to experiment some until you get it right. I would suggest trying a full multi in the Prestige S at around 53 lbs. Something like Xcel or NRG2 or NXT Tour.

Minion 02-02-2013 06:56 AM

Thanks, will keep that in mind. I had it strung with PHT 17 @54lbs this morning, but i havent had a chance to try it out yet.

JackB1 02-04-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minion (Post 7186379)
Thanks, will keep that in mind. I had it strung with PHT 17 @54lbs this morning, but i havent had a chance to try it out yet.

you tried PHT at 56 and didn't like it. So you try it again at 2 lbs less and expect different results??? This makes no sense to me.

TW Staff 02-04-2013 08:48 AM

Hi Minion,

Can you describe what you didn't like about it? Too stiff and underpowered? Too dead off-center? Also, are you comparing apples to apples? Meaning, are you comparing broken-in PHT to freshly strung PHT? Give us some kind of reference point and we'll see if we can make a recommendation.

Jonathan

Minion 02-04-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7190512)
you tried PHT at 56 and didn't like it. So you try it again at 2 lbs less and expect different results??? This makes no sense to me.

True, but there is quite a difference between PHT 16 @ 56lbs and PHT 17 @54lbs....

Minion 02-04-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7190666)
Hi Minion,

Can you describe what you didn't like about it? Too stiff and underpowered? Too dead off-center? Also, are you comparing apples to apples? Meaning, are you comparing broken-in PHT to freshly strung PHT? Give us some kind of reference point and we'll see if we can make a recommendation.

Jonathan

Both racquets freshly strung. In my BioMax 200G the result is perfect, i got this explosive pop, plus some very nice pocketing and great control.

With the Prestige S, i found mush less pocketing, and it felt hard to control. It may have been a dodgy string job (on the bottom part of the cap grommet shared hole - the strings were strung over each other instead of next to). It really felt springy, and unless i hit the sweet spot 100%, i had no control.

I'm not a pro, but my timing is pretty good.

TW Staff 02-05-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minion (Post 7192154)
Both racquets freshly strung. In my BioMax 200G the result is perfect, i got this explosive pop, plus some very nice pocketing and great control.

With the Prestige S, i found mush less pocketing, and it felt hard to control. It may have been a dodgy string job (on the bottom part of the cap grommet shared hole - the strings were strung over each other instead of next to). It really felt springy, and unless i hit the sweet spot 100%, i had no control.

Minion,

If the stringbed is too springy (as you claim), than increasing the tension is obviously an option. If you find that you cannot increase the tension without making it too "boardy", than you might consider going with a softer co-poly or even a control oriented multi (both of which would allow you to string tighter without giving away too much comfort).

Your pocketing comment is a little trickier when coupled with your other comments, so I'll just add this: some people complain of less pocketing w/stiffer strings at high tensions. So if you do increase the tension to solve your springiness issue, than be aware of how that affects whatever you mean by pocketing. Overall, though, my gut tells me you should try a softer string at a higher tension because it seems like you want to lose the excessive springiness* without also losing the "pocketing" & comfort. *I would not say the PHT is particularly springy, as polys go, but I'm trying to work with your comments.

Keep in mind: sometimes it takes a while to find the perfect string & tension for a given racquet. However, if you are having constant trouble finding the right setup for a particular racquet, you might also have to turn your focus on the racquet.

Jonathan

Minion 02-05-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7193524)
Minion,

If the stringbed is too springy (as you claim), than increasing the tension is obviously an option. If you find that you cannot increase the tension without making it too "boardy", than you might consider going with a softer co-poly or even a control oriented multi (both of which would allow you to string tighter without giving away too much comfort).

Your pocketing comment is a little trickier when coupled with your other comments, so I'll just add this: some people complain of less pocketing w/stiffer strings at high tensions. So if you do increase the tension to solve your springiness issue, than be aware of how that affects whatever you mean by pocketing. Overall, though, my gut tells me you should try a softer string at a higher tension because it seems like you want to lose the excessive springiness* without also losing the "pocketing" & comfort. *I would not say the PHT is particularly springy, as polys go, but I'm trying to work with your comments.

Keep in mind: sometimes it takes a while to find the perfect string & tension for a given racquet. However, if you are having constant trouble finding the right setup for a particular racquet, you might also have to turn your focus on the racquet.

Jonathan

Thanks for your comments Jonathan:) I have a feeling that the Prestige S might not suit my playing style. I've tried altogether 4 different string setups, but none of them worked for me. I have a fast swing speed, and can swing freely with the Prestige MP's and the Max200G, and still have the control and pocketing in the stringbed that i like. I dont know if this is related to the weight / swingweight of the racquet.

I will definitely be giving the new Biomimetic M 2.0 a try:) From the specs it looks almost identical to the Max200G, just a tad smaller head size.

Pity though, i really love the Prestige racquets (would sleep with them under my pillow, but the wife wont let me:neutral:) , but i play better with the Max200G...so i guess that's that. Thanks again.