Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Hitting too far out in front with the forehand? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452840)

ace_pace 01-27-2013 08:36 PM

Hitting too far out in front with the forehand?

I have this weird problem of sometimes hitting the ball with my forehand way too far out in front (I've been learning and using the pull style forehand similar to Fed/Nadal/Verdasco). Whenever I start playing tennis, the contact point gradually shifts more and more out in front rendering the stroke weak and out of control. Anyone else have this problem and what are the possible ways of of preventing and/or fixing this?

sandiegoman 01-27-2013 09:53 PM

Try practicing with a wall and it's a good way to get rid of bad habits.

LeeD 01-28-2013 01:35 PM

Exactly, the wall and really remember to turn your shoulders, regardless of feetstance.

dominikk1985 01-28-2013 02:16 PM

you should hit the ball out front but before you "run out of racket". you still want to square the ball up not hitting it with the tip of the racket:).

in Baseball this hitting out front too far causes the bat to roll over or top the ball, which is why all Baseball coaches teach to let the ball travel deep (but not too much).

Nellie 01-28-2013 02:25 PM

If you try getting too loopy and brushing too much up at the ball, you can get the feeling of be too far in front. I especially see people get into this habit when they are not turning their shoulders to get that backhand side hand out front (e.g., hitting a reverse forehand). It is perfectly fine to have an open stance with your feet - you just can't have your shoulders open because you, then, cannot step into the shot, if needed to move forward to adjust to the ball.

rkelley 01-28-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace_pace (Post 7173483)
I have this weird problem of sometimes hitting the ball with my forehand way too far out in front (I've been learning and using the pull style forehand similar to Fed/Nadal/Verdasco). Whenever I start playing tennis, the contact point gradually shifts more and more out in front rendering the stroke weak and out of control. Anyone else have this problem and what are the possible ways of of preventing and/or fixing this?

For me when I hit too far out front I hit too flat. The stroke is actually quite powerfull, but lacks sufficient spin to stay in usually. I tell my self to wait, just let the ball come to me. Even when someone is pounding it at you, as long as you're split stepping when then hit you usually have plenty of time to set up. I also try to focus on the desired contact point and keep my eyes on it when I swing.

TennisCJC 01-29-2013 10:58 AM

hold both hands on the racket until the ball bounces. Yes, wait until the ball bounces to start your swing. Take the racket head smothly and fairly slowly to the bottom of the ball. At or near contact, pull up, thru and across into WW finish accelerating thru contact.

Read Oscar's Wegner's stuff about waiting on the ball. He advocates counting to 5 with 1 at bounce and 5 at contact. I think 5 count is too fast - he says it out loud pretty fast but it can be done.

I sometimes think BOUNCE, 2, PULL with BOUNCE when ball hits court, 2 when I start my swing and PULL at contact. I can think or say these pretty smoothly and relaxed and still have plenty of time. I use a fairly compact loop to contact.

Try this on a wall or ball machine or when just drilling. I don't think this much in matches - just a practice drill.