Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Any Car Audiophiles out there? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452842)

ellipticality_224 01-27-2013 08:38 PM

Any Car Audiophiles out there?

Hey guys,

Am I the only audiophile on this board? If not, just post below what you like and what you don't, I dont think I need to explain, if your an audiophile, you know you are :)

JL audio and Kenwood is the only thing I run. I will take SQ over loudness ANY DAY, I'm not your typical tool bag rolling down the street with two 12" kickers in a ported box letting everyone in the ZIP code hes there. I like clear Highs, powerful strong mids, and nice warm tonal lows. Sealed enclosures only :) If your an audiophile you know what I just said, lol :) I would go into more detail, but...

r2473 01-27-2013 09:34 PM

For home audio, I like my LP12 turntable (modded), Hadcock tonearm, Grado cartridge (VPI specs). This all runs into 12w tube amp (modded), which powers a set of klipschhorns. (modded).

LuckyR 01-29-2013 04:34 PM

The bottom line is that a car is a pretty darn imperfect location to listen to music. Sure, you can spend whatever you want but anything above decent is not going to give you anywhere the same bang for your buck as a dollar spent on your home system.

ellipticality_224 01-29-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 7178635)
The bottom line is that a car is a pretty darn imperfect location to listen to music. Sure, you can spend whatever you want but anything above decent is not going to give you anywhere the same bang for your buck as a dollar spent on your home system.

Whats your opinion on those BEATS Headphones? Ive heard the knock offs sound better than the real ones. Theyre more of a fashion statement than a SQ tool. I like my Klipsch Headphones, Ive also got some s3s for the gym. And as for home system, I dont really have much money available to drop on my home system, along with me not having house, dropping lots of money to put into my dorm and or parents basement when Im home isnt too practical.

NickC 01-29-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellipticality_224 (Post 7178745)
Whats your opinion on those BEATS Headphones?

You answer your own question below:

Quote:

Ive heard the knock offs sound better than the real ones.
Truth. The appeal sonically about the BEATS is that supposedly it "sounds" better when in reality Monster just jacks up the low end and sells it off as an improvement. That just distorts what you're supposed to hear.

Quote:

Theyre more of a fashion statement than a SQ tool.
Quoted for truth. It's all hype and overpriced.

[/thread]

Ronaldo 01-29-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 7173578)
For home audio, I like my LP12 turntable (modded), Hadcock tonearm, Grado cartridge (VPI specs). This all runs into 12w tube amp (modded), which powers a set of klipschhorns. (modded).

Why a Uni-pivot and not a Linn arm?

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-29-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Whats your opinion on those BEATS Headphones? Ive heard the knock offs sound better than the real ones. Theyre more of a fashion statement than a SQ tool. I like my Klipsch Headphones, Ive also got some s3s for the gym. And as for home system, I dont really have much money available to drop on my home system, along with me not having house, dropping lots of money to put into my dorm and or parents basement when Im home isnt too practical.

I have a pair of Beats Solo HD. Yes, they sound good, but $200 good? Hell no. If you're willing to try out dozens and dozens of headphones out there, you'll find a pair that sound just as good but half the prize. The problem is, non-audiophile wouldn't know where to begin their search nor do they know what to look for. They just go by recognition.

Again, I think Beats are solid headphones, but 50% of the cost goes into the image of wearing Beats.

ellipticality_224 01-29-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7179007)
I have a pair of Beats Solo HD. Yes, they sound good, but $200 good? Hell no. If you're willing to try out dozens and dozens of headphones out there, you'll find a pair that sound just as good but half the prize. The problem is, non-audiophile wouldn't know where to begin their search nor do they know what to look for. They just go by recognition.

Again, I think Beats are solid headphones, but 50% of the cost goes into the image of wearing Beats.

I agree, last year, when I was in High School I heard some guy saying to another one of my friends who is an audiophile as well, "Well, if beats are so bad, then why do all the basketball players wear them coming out of the locker rooms for warm ups?"

Well, one they get paid massive amounts of money to wear them for warmups, two, the reason they pay them is for fools like you who spend 250 dollars plus on mid to low quality headphones that my 70 dollars Klipsch earbuds could match or even outdo, and three, I bet they arent even headphones that theyre wearing, theyre just plastic headphone looking head articles.

I have worn beats before, and I thought they had overpowered bass, and even at that the bass wasnt good. They looked to flashy, and they felt flimsy. I have never worn counterfeits, but I have seen on other forums that they sound better than the real ones. Whats the most expensive beats out there? Studios or Dr. Dres? All I know is they run multi hundreds of dollars, and your high quality in ear earbuds could out do them easily. I use my PULSE Headphones that are made for ps3 gameplay, they run 130 bucks and have adjustable bass on them so you can adjust to what your listening to, but I never go over half. And the warranty on my Klipsch in ears? impeccable, 2 years against all defects, but does not cover abuse (of course)

Plainly said, beats are mid range to mid low quality headphones that are better than your skullcandy juggalo stuff, but for the money, not worth it. Spend it on excess tennis shoes and rackets! Things that are necessary!

P.S. Most people I see with beats (usually a younger crowd around my age 17-24 year olds) arent even wearing them on their ears, they just hang them around their necks and dont even have the aux cable plugged into them, clarly indicative of, "Hey, I just wasted money on a fashion fad."

ellipticality_224 01-29-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellipticality_224 (Post 7179039)
I agree, last year, when I was in High School I heard some guy saying to another one of my friends who is an audiophile as well, "Well, if beats are so bad, then why do all the basketball players wear them coming out of the locker rooms for warm ups?"

Well, one they get paid massive amounts of money to wear them for warmups, two, the reason they pay them is for fools like you who spend 250 dollars plus on mid to low quality headphones that my 70 dollars Klipsch earbuds could match or even outdo, and three, I bet they arent even headphones that theyre wearing, theyre just plastic headphone looking head articles.

I have worn beats before, and I thought they had overpowered bass, and even at that the bass wasnt good. They looked to flashy, and they felt flimsy. I have never worn counterfeits, but I have seen on other forums that they sound better than the real ones. Whats the most expensive beats out there? Studios or Dr. Dres? All I know is they run multi hundreds of dollars, and your high quality in ear earbuds could out do them easily. I use my PULSE Headphones that are made for ps3 gameplay, they run 130 bucks and have adjustable bass on them so you can adjust to what your listening to, but I never go over half. And the warranty on my Klipsch in ears? impeccable, 2 years against all defects, but does not cover abuse (of course)

Plainly said, beats are mid range to mid low quality headphones that are better than your skullcandy juggalo stuff, but for the money, not worth it. Spend it on excess tennis shoes and rackets! Things that are necessary!

P.S. Most people I see with beats (usually a younger crowd around my age 17-24 year olds) arent even wearing them on their ears, they just hang them around their necks and dont even have the aux cable plugged into them, clarly indicative of, "Hey, I just wasted money on a fashion fad."

When I said fools, I was not referring to the TT member, to make that clear, the fool is the person in the first sentence

ellipticality_224 01-29-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickC (Post 7178966)

Truth. The appeal sonically about the BEATS is that supposedly it "sounds" better when in reality Monster just jacks up the low end and sells it off as an improvement. That just distorts what you're supposed to hear.

[/thread]

Monster is the same company that thinks that you should spend massive amounts of money on HDMI cables for a better picture, with HDMI, you either get a nice picture, or you get no picture at all, its all the same, though audioquest (a cable exclusive company) makes good higher grade HDMI cables that improve the sound area of HDMI and speed and responsiveness of the cable. I have many of their cables, from IPOD cables in my car deck, to the HDMI cables, and I love them

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-29-2013 09:35 PM

I think Monster and Beats put out a line of quality product. Is it for everyone? Probably not, but quality nonetheless.

NOW, the real question that I posted earlier is whether or not they're worth the money.

I don't consider myself an audiophile at all, but I know what sounds good TO ME. When I bought the Beats Solo HD, I admit I bought into the hype, marketing, "It's expensive as hell, must be good" logic, and finally, it does sound good to me. However, if I did a little more research and spent more time looking for headphones, I definitely won't get the Beats Solo HD.

I do have post-purchase remorse with my Beats, not because I think it's a bad product, simply because I think I over-spent. I listened to some $100 Sony headphones, and they sound just as good as my Beats Solo HD. I listened to some similarly priced Bose headphones, and they blew my Beats out of the water. But I'm not about to justify a bad purchase with another purchase.

To the average consumer who aren't audiophiles and know everything about music/sound, the plethora of choices on the market can simply confuse the consumer.

Lastly, I heard stuff from AKG aren't half bad either?

hollywood9826 01-30-2013 04:55 AM

Monster aint makin beats anymore. Beats didnt renew the deal and are making the stuff by themselves now.

Monster has there own headphones own.

From the sound engineers of Beats by Dr Dre® headphones comes the newest in headphone technology, Monster® DNA™. Hear every detail, feel every beat, and express a bold, iconic, new look.

230 bucks

Fearsome Forehand 01-30-2013 05:10 AM

The marketing of stereo equipment is as funny as the marketing of tennis rackets. :)

When I was a kid, I upgraded the 6x9 rear speakers of my parent's car with speakers called MindBlowers. I think I bought them at Bradlee's which was sort of a Kmart type chain in New England for about $40. They had 30 watt amps attached and were extremely loud/obnoxious which was the whole idea. They were made by a company called Tenna, which was an OEM and aftermarket audio equipment manufacturer out of Cleveland. I think their components were actually made in the USA; imagine that. They went out of business in the mid 1980's. Later, as an adult, I worked in the OEM audio system industry for a number of years.

The typical OEM car system is quite good now compared to what it was in the 1970's/1980's and before. Most don't require upgrades unless you really want to get nuts with subwoofers, etc. Not really worth it IMHO but to each his own.

r2473 01-30-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 7178980)
Why a Uni-pivot and not a Linn arm?

I've tried a lot of arms on my rig (and a lot of rigs). This is the best sound for the money I've found. It's tough to get the uni-pivot set up just right (as its tough to get the LP12 setup just right too). But when you do, it sounds great.

LuckyR 01-30-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

I have never used them and since close to 100% of my headphone use is on airplanes, sound cancellation is what I am experienced with. Though I will say that they do look like an overpriced fashion statement, the way they are marketed. To be honest, even if they were great, sonically, I would get a different brand just so I don't appear like someone trying to look like they are in High School.

Is all of your music in File format?

ellipticality_224 01-30-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 7179505)
The marketing of stereo equipment is as funny as the marketing of tennis rackets. :)

When I was a kid, I upgraded the 6x9 rear speakers of my parent's car with speakers called MindBlowers. I think I bought them at Bradlee's which was sort of a Kmart type chain in New England for about $40. They had 30 watt amps attached and were extremely loud/obnoxious which was the whole idea. They were made by a company called Tenna, which was an OEM and aftermarket audio equipment manufacturer out of Cleveland. I think their components were actually made in the USA; imagine that. They went out of business in the mid 1980's. Later, as an adult, I worked in the OEM audio system industry for a number of years.

The typical OEM car system is quite good now compared to what it was in the 1970's/1980's and before. Most don't require upgrades unless you really want to get nuts with subwoofers, etc. Not really worth it IMHO but to each his own.

Quite the contrary with me Fearsome, lol. I have a 99 jeep wrangler, and the ones I took out (factory originals) had paper cones, tiny magnets. But you can get some pretty nice sounding stuff from JL Audio. Youd be amazed at how clear the music is, even in a jeep wrangler with a soft top on! Some people, lik people that have used ONLY beats think that they are the best, but they put on some Bose or Klipsch headphones, and are astonished by the SQ in them.

ellipticality_224 01-30-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywood9826 (Post 7179483)
Monster aint makin beats anymore. Beats didnt renew the deal and are making the stuff by themselves now.

Monster has there own headphones own.

From the sound engineers of Beats by Dr Dre® headphones comes the newest in headphone technology, Monster® DNA™. Hear every detail, feel every beat, and express a bold, iconic, new look.

230 bucks

Did you get that off of the beats website? Probably just more overpriced plastic, with over powered bass. And note that they actually advertised how they look, clearly indicating they are also a fashion statement. Other comapnies make good looking headphones but dont advertise that they look good, because most people that but those for SQ dont care all that much about how they look, yea they look sleek and good, but thats not what theyre made for.

Disgruntled Worker 01-30-2013 02:42 PM

There's really no perfect headphone. You have to try out stuff before you buy it. Beats are actually the reason I got into headphones. I'll never forget it! Horrible, harsh treble combined with an over-inflated low end. It sounded like someone was hitting a cat with a bagpipe. If you want what audio engineers and musicians use, Guitar Center has PLENTY of quality stuff from Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Beyerdynamics, Klipsch, and even AKG.

mad dog1 01-30-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disgruntled Worker (Post 7180685)
There's really no perfect headphone. You have to try out stuff before you buy it. Beats are actually the reason I got into headphones. I'll never forget it! Horrible, harsh treble combined with an over-inflated low end. It sounded like someone was hitting a cat with a bagpipe. If you want what audio engineers and musicians use, Guitar Center has PLENTY of quality stuff from Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Beyerdynamics, Klipsch, and even AKG.

don't forget to add Grado to the list.

mad dog1 01-30-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellipticality_224 (Post 7180674)
Quite the contrary with me Fearsome, lol. I have a 99 jeep wrangler, and the ones I took out (factory originals) had paper cones, tiny magnets. But you can get some pretty nice sounding stuff from JL Audio. Youd be amazed at how clear the music is, even in a jeep wrangler with a soft top on! Some people, lik people that have used ONLY beats think that they are the best, but they put on some Bose or Klipsch headphones, and are astonished by the SQ in them.

Did you just mention Bose and audiophile in the same thread??? :shock: :confused:

Bose is as far from audiophile as audio gets. Bose is just a cheaper version of Bang & Olufsen.