Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How do you move on clay??? (video included) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452861)

onehandbh 01-28-2013 04:58 AM

How do you move on clay??? (video included)

Tried playing on a red clay court a few times. It seems really hard to move
on the court. I feel like I'm trying to run on an ice skating rink with shoes on.

Does wearing shoes made for clay courts make a difference?

A short video of my feeble attempt... (I'm the one closer to the camera)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8GVpJT8s0BQ

luvforty 01-28-2013 05:11 AM

i didn't see any "attempts"... where are the splits?

mikeler 01-28-2013 05:22 AM

You won't learn how to move on clay overnight. It takes time.

onehandbh 01-28-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7174077)
i didn't see any "attempts"... where are the splits?

True. I'm pretty lazy with splits overall and especially when just hitting around.
Since I'm not playing very often, I think I'll just work on something each time I hit.
Probably mostly footwork.

Pet 01-28-2013 11:24 AM

How is play with a wood raquet?

treblings 01-28-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onehandbh (Post 7174049)
Tried playing on a red clay court a few times. It seems really hard to move
on the court. I feel like I'm trying to run on an ice skating rink with shoes on.

Does wearing shoes made for clay courts make a difference?

A short video of my feeble attempt... (I'm the one closer to the camera)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8GVpJT8s0BQ

makes a big difference. the right sole gives you much more traction on clay courts.
do you prefer the pro staff or the autograph?

The Meat 01-28-2013 11:36 AM

Helps to open your legs up more and when you're running for a shot you have to really shift your weight correctly to get a stable slide.

dominikk1985 01-28-2013 01:07 PM

beautiful hitting with Wood. I really like to see that. you manage to hit a heavy and modern ball with a Wood racket that is nice to see.

do you always hit with that racket?

treblings 01-28-2013 10:08 PM

if you donīt play on clay regularly i would be careful with the sliding to the ball. better to move more like on a hardcourt, less risky:)

onehandbh 01-29-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pet (Post 7175120)
How is play with a wood raquet?

Not bad. The sweet spot is a bit smaller and the racquet has less
power so you have to adjust your swing a little bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 7175147)
makes a big difference. the right sole gives you much more traction on clay courts.
do you prefer the pro staff or the autograph?

I much prefer the pro staff. Stiffer and better feel to me.
The autograph feels like a wet noodle compared to the PS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7175153)
Helps to open your legs up more and when you're running for a shot you have to really shift your weight correctly to get a stable slide.

I'll try this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominikk1985 (Post 7175385)
beautiful hitting with Wood. I really like to see that. you manage to hit a heavy and modern ball with a Wood racket that is nice to see.

do you always hit with that racket?

Usually use a PS85 or k90, but also trying to switch
to youtek prestige pro (having tough time finding right
amount of weight to add to it and also best poly for it)

The Meat 01-29-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onehandbh (Post 7178814)

I'll try this.

Also adding a really important part to the sliding comment, don't forget to point your leading foot towards the position you are going to slide towards. Don't slide with your leading foot pointing perpendicular to the baseline(if moving laterally) and roll your ankle like my friend did on his first time on the clay courts. :(

onehandbh 01-29-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7178824)
Also adding a really important part to the sliding comment, don't forget to point your leading foot towards the position you are going to slide towards. Don't slide with your leading foot pointing perpendicular to the baseline(if moving laterally) and roll your ankle like my friend did on his first time on the clay courts. :(

Ah! Would never have thought of that.

MarinaHighTennis 01-29-2013 06:27 PM

watch nadal. He usually runs sideways towards the ball then opens up and hits open. Also, he usually is running diagonally back to hit the ball

nice groundies tho

Nellie 01-29-2013 09:14 PM

For people used to hardcourts hit and then stop to recover/prepare for the next shot. For clay, you slide into the stroke and then recover after the slide. Try intentionally sliding into a few strokes (i.e., while your racquet is back and waiting to swing) to get the feeling of the motion.

onehandbh 03-03-2013 07:13 AM

I think I might be ready to get some clay court shoes...

My worn out hardcourt shoes were deadly today... Slipped several times
and fell twice. Both times I fell was on the explosive first step.
Foot completely slipped and I bit the dirt.

The last time I tried my dunlop volleys and it was infinitely better, but not
sure if the canvas dunlop volleys will hold up over time.

Costagirl 03-03-2013 07:22 AM

It is a totally different surface than hard courts that's for sure. And red is similar but even different than green clay. If you scored a red clay court...kudos to you! That's awesome. The right sole can make a great deal of difference. Adidas Baricade 7.0 and Ascis Gel Revolution 5 are both made specific for clay. Running or getting to a ball is not a sudden jerk reaction but a smooth glide into the shot. It can be challenging at first but what isn't to achieve a good game. You'll have a blast when you get used to the movement...the footwork...length of points...and having to really use your head to finish a point in your favor. But best of luck and enjoy.

salud:)

goran_ace 03-03-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onehandbh (Post 7248113)
I think I might be ready to get some clay court shoes...

My worn out hardcourt shoes were deadly today... Slipped several times
and fell twice. Both times I fell was on the explosive first step.
Foot completely slipped and I bit the dirt.

The last time I tried my dunlop volleys and it was infinitely better, but not
sure if the canvas dunlop volleys will hold up over time.

That's the biggest difference between hard court vs clay. You cannot make a hard stop/start on clay and that is why you learn to slide into shots. Shoes will not make a difference there.

Clay shoes don't give you a deeper tread to grip the loose surface like a mud tire, clay shoes have a smaller tread so the clay doesn't get clogged in the tread (making your sole a smooth surface).

kopfan 03-03-2013 10:55 AM

Get into your form early and slide into the position. The main approach is your anticipation to where you gonna position yourself for the shot. Have fun sliding on the clay.

Say Chi Sin Lo 03-03-2013 11:00 AM

If I can slide on hard courts, does that mean no one can hit a winner on me? :)

I wish I can play on a clay court.

Power Player 03-03-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onehandbh (Post 7174216)
True. I'm pretty lazy with splits overall and especially when just hitting around.

I think a lot of people are. I can tell you that when I finally fixed this, it made a huge difference. You won't be able to get around clay or even hard court optimally until you make yourself utilize proper footwork every time, even casually. It takes some discipline and focus but its worth it.