Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Bumper guard or head tape needed for wood racquets? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452862)

onehandbh 01-28-2013 05:03 AM

Bumper guard or head tape needed for wood racquets?

I started playing with my wood Jack Kramer Pro Staff.
Wood seems quite vulnerable to scrapes on a hard court.
Do people who use them more regularly put head tape on that head?
It seems like when you pull off the tape, it can rip off small chunks or
splinters of wood.

How about on a clay court? Do I need to protect the head?
I don't play very much anymore, but when I do, I'll be playing on a clay
court.

This one in particular:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8GVpJT8s0BQ

MAX PLY 01-28-2013 06:29 AM

I actually put two layers of head tape on my wood racquets when I play with them to keep them is the best condition possible. I also take the tape off after I finish--so fresh tape each time I play with them. Good luck.

joe sch 01-29-2013 04:55 AM

Head tape is smart to prevent court rash on wood rackets for hard court play. Clay is also abrasive and gets in the holes so tape really helps protect the hoop. Wood likes grass unless its wet :)

onehandbh 01-29-2013 06:32 PM

Thx for the tips. I'll add some tape. Had not thought of using
fresh tape each time. Seems wasteful, though.

mmk 01-30-2013 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onehandbh (Post 7178878)

I used to use athletic tape, and left it on until it started to wear through.

MAX PLY 01-30-2013 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onehandbh (Post 7178878)

Perhaps, but the reason I take it off after each time is I also don't want to build up sticky residue on the frame either.

PBODY99 01-30-2013 08:30 PM

I use tape, only change it as needed.

AtTheNet 02-12-2013 12:20 PM

Having bought some woodies recently, I am interested in protecting the heads from "court rash". I think that a layer of blue painter's masking tape against the wood, topped with a layer or two of athletic tape would work well. The blue tape is a low-tack tape, and shouldn't leave a sticky residue.

The blue tape is widely available at home improvement stores, hardware stores, paint stores, etc.

I would think it best to remove all of the tape after each use.

onehandbh 02-16-2013 05:55 AM

Not sure if the blue painter's tape would be sticky enough.
Let me know if it works.

Btw, I looked at the strings in my JK prostaff and just
noticed it has a full poly string job!:shock:

I asked for synth gut. no wonder it felt kind of weird.
At least it'll probably last a long time...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtTheNet (Post 7209679)
Having bought some woodies recently, I am interested in protecting the heads from "court rash". I think that a layer of blue painter's masking tape against the wood, topped with a layer or two of athletic tape would work well. The blue tape is a low-tack tape, and shouldn't leave a sticky residue.

The blue tape is widely available at home improvement stores, hardware stores, paint stores, etc.

v-verb 02-16-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAX PLY (Post 7179406)
Perhaps, but the reason I take it off after each time is I also don't want to build up sticky residue on the frame either.

Good call. I have racquets from the 90's that have nasty residue after I took off the head tape. Tape also took off some of the paint from my Prince Thunderbolt

Hi I'm Ray 02-22-2013 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtTheNet (Post 7209679)

Masking tape can be very difficult to remove if left on too long - it won't come off in one piece, tearing into little pieces, and can leave a bad residue + discoloration. Wouldn't recommend it for more than a very short application on anything.

jimbo333 02-22-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ray (Post 7229813)
Masking tape can be very difficult to remove if left on too long - it won't come off in one piece, tearing into little pieces, and can leave a bad residue + discoloration. Wouldn't recommend it for more than a very short application on anything.

Absolutely agree. The residue left from old masking tape can be an absolute nightmare to get off!