Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   "O" ring issues (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452900)

jaybear1909 01-28-2013 10:43 AM

"O" ring issues

I need to string my GF's racquet before her match tonight, and have never strung a racquet that has "O" rings. The racquet I'm stringing is the Prince Exo3 Team Tour 16x18. Once I figure out how to do the mains I'm solid. Problem is starting them has me so confused.

Any good videos out there for this particular racquet? Or articles even. Google search has done me no good.

jaybear1909 01-28-2013 11:02 AM

O port, sorry.

Confused with an A/C term.

Irvin 01-28-2013 11:07 AM

Most start at the head. With the P on the butt cap up most rackets are strung with the short side on the left side of the racket.

When you start stringing the crosses if you start on the wrong side it will not work. Also the string want to naturally pull into the top of the O port when you tension it. You must have a boomerange or some spacer to hold the string down in the bottom of the O port.

Lakers4Life 01-28-2013 12:10 PM

I hope this helps: http://www.princetennis.com/tennis/f...ourTeam100.pdf

Topspin101 01-28-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7174879)
Most start at the head. With the P on the butt cap up most rackets are strung with the short side on the left side of the racket.

When you start stringing the crosses if you start on the wrong side it will not work. Also the string want to naturally pull into the top of the O port when you tension it. You must have a boomerange or some spacer to hold the string down in the bottom of the O port.

I own and string several O ports and always start my mains with the short side on the right with the P facing down. Am I missing something here like maybe you are talking about 1 pc stringing?

Irvin 01-28-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspin101 (Post 7175081)
I own and string several O ports and always start my mains with the short side on the right with the P facing down. Am I missing something here like maybe you are talking about 1 pc stringing?

You do just what I do when stringing 1 piece. I put logo up and SS is on left (most of the time - not always.) I string all rackets with the logos up.

EDIT: I take that back I had one guy that always the wanted the points of his pitchfork (Wilson W) facing his opponent when hitting a forehand, and the tails on the knots point toward his opponent. Had to wrap the grip a certain way so it was also comfortable to hold that way. When he had a grip changed once he said they put it on backwards. That way he say he could really stick his forehand. Those are the only rakckets I mounted upside down.

Lakers4Life 01-28-2013 12:20 PM

Prince stringing instructions always show the SS on the left. It's standard practice to put the SS on the left side, but as long as you know which side is the SS, I see no problem. You will know right away if you are stringing crosses on the wrong side.

tennis_ocd 01-28-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7175111)
Prince stringing instructions always show the SS on the left. It's standard practice to put the SS on the left side, but as long as you know which side is the SS, I see no problem. You will know right away if you are stringing crosses on the wrong side.

if you're doing one piece the mains will all be in before you run into a cross issue. keep the long side on the side with the cross starting/finishing knot holes.

Lakers4Life 01-28-2013 01:37 PM

Worst case scenario, the OP strings it two piece instead of a one piece.

jaybear1909 01-28-2013 06:54 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I ended up taking it to the tennis shop since her match was only a few hours away. The pro there taught me a good bit firsthand.

I never would have thought it would be so confusing!

Lakers4Life 01-28-2013 07:06 PM

I did not think starting mains was so hard, unless you are using floating clamps and a drop wieght.

jaybear1909 01-29-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7176145)
I did not think starting mains was so hard, unless you are using floating clamps and a drop wieght.

I am using floating clamps and a drop weight.

*The main reason I was confused about the mains is because I thought I was supposed to start at the throat. I only counted 6 holes on the throat, but there's actually 8 because 2 larger holes are on the side.

Irvin 01-29-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybear1909 (Post 7178388)
I am using floating clamps and a drop weight.

*The main reason I was confused about the mains is because I thought I was supposed to start at the throat. I only counted 6 holes on the throat, but there's actually 8 because 2 larger holes are on the side.

Ouch! You will rip the grommet out of the throat like that is there is one. The string loop always has to be on a bridge between two ports.

jaybear1909 01-30-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7178451)
Ouch! You will rip the grommet out of the throat like that is there is one. The string loop always has to be on a bridge between two ports.

Yep, that's why I didn't bother trying because I knew I wasn't doing it right. I never actually tensioned, I just ran the string through a few times and saw that it looked very weird. Now I know why :P.

Lakers4Life 01-30-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybear1909 (Post 7180416)
Yep, that's why I didn't bother trying because I knew I wasn't doing it right. I never actually tensioned, I just ran the string through a few times and saw that it looked very weird. Now I know why :P.

Did you even look at the PDF I posted?

Most prince O-port rackets have 8 mains at the throat. The middle is at the top like the stringing pattern I posted. I recently strung an O3 White, O3 Red and EXO3 Black. The boomerang sure came in handy.

Tennusdude 01-30-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7180483)
Did you even look at the PDF I posted?

Most prince O-port rackets have 8 mains at the throat. The middle is at the top like the stringing pattern I posted. I recently strung an O3 White, O3 Red and EXO3 Black. The boomerang sure came in handy.

I really dont believe the boomerang works well at all. Cross strings wind up loosing alot of tension with the boomerang in my experience. 50 50 method for crosses seems to work best

Lakers4Life 01-30-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennusdude (Post 7181287)
I really dont believe the boomerang works well at all. Cross strings wind up loosing alot of tension with the boomerang in my experience. 50 50 method for crosses seems to work best

You can always add more tension. To each his own, Irvin2.

fortun8son 01-30-2013 11:02 PM

Most Prince O-Port racquets have the tie off and starting knot holes as well as short side clearly marked on the frame.
They also have two dots at the holes meant for mains.
I just use the brake, but not all machines have them, of course.

Irvin 01-31-2013 04:08 AM

If anyone has any doubt about which method is best to use to string Prince rackets I suggest you call Prince their number is 1 800 2TENNIS. The boomerang (or alternative,) brake, and 2 piece 50/50 methods all work.

pvaudio 01-31-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennusdude (Post 7181287)

This is why I don't use my boomerangs. The reason they lose more tension is because there are now multiple bends instead of a single one when going to the tensioner. Physics takes over.