Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Davis Cup 2013 Thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452960)

Relinquis 01-28-2013 06:48 PM

Davis Cup 2013 Thread

Which countries do you favour for the Davis cup this year? Any potential match-ups you're looking forward to?

I don't usually follow the DC, but will try to watch more matches this year.

Will tomic play for Australia? Will the Czech/Spanish trash talking continue (Berdych vs. Almagro)? Have France made major changes to their team?

Davis Cup world group schedule and teams: http://www.daviscup.com/En/results/world-group.aspx

First round:
01 Feb - 03 Feb 2013

ESP - Spain (s) VS CAN - Canada (c)

CRO - Croatia (s) VS ITA - Italy (c)

SRB - Serbia (s) VS BEL - Belgium (c)

USA - USA (s) (c) VS BRA - Brazil

ISR - Israel VS FRA - France (s) (c)

GER - Germany VS ARG - Argentina (s) (c)

AUT - Austria VS KAZ - Kazakhstan (s) (c)*

SUI - Switzerland (c) VS CZE - Czech Rep. (s)

Beryl 01-28-2013 07:15 PM

So Spain is bringing Granollers and a bunch of clay mugs to Canada to play on an indoor hard court. I know Almagro pulled out injured, but where the hell are Verdasco and Feli Lopez at a time like this? Looks like Granollers will have to carry the load in both singles and doubles. Canada lacking a second proper singles player still keeps the tie close, but it's easy to imagine Spain going out at the first hurdle.

Nostradamus 01-28-2013 07:32 PM

POOR Stan

ONLY If Roger Federer played this weekend, this could have the been the Tie of the year. Czech republic VS Swiss. but then Stan once again has to carry the Flag and see it RIPed apart right in front of him.

tennisaddict 01-28-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beryl (Post 7176163)
So Spain is bringing Granollers and a bunch of clay mugs to Canada to play on an indoor hard court. I know Almagro pulled out injured, but where the hell are Verdasco and Feli Lopez at a time like this? Looks like Granollers will have to carry the load in both singles and doubles. Canada lacking a second proper singles player still keeps the tie close, but it's easy to imagine Spain going out at the first hurdle.

He has won Valencia once and runner up an other time.

Beryl 01-28-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisaddict (Post 7176216)
He has won Valencia once and runner up an other time.

Yes, that is exactly why I wrote that Granollers will be forced to carry the load for Spain. Reread my post if you think I was slighting Granollers, I most certainly wasn't.

However, it must be noted, Valencia is quite slow for an indoor hardcourt. The court in Canada should be quite fast. Outside of Valencia, Marcel doesn't have a good record either indoors or on hardcourt.

Spain should still be slight favourites. Ramos and Granollers should beat Pospisil or Dancevic, but it's hard to see either beating the Servebot. So it would comedown to doubles, where Granollers/Lopez are a very solid team and should be favourites.

Lavs 01-29-2013 02:18 AM

Good thread, just thought about creating the one..
I expect few tight and very interesting matches..
I think Italy - Croatia is most exciting. Seppi is in good shape now. And if he wins against Cilic, it could bring big problem to Croats.
Then Canada - Spain. I would not pick either safely, may be Canada with small margin (considering they play in Vancouver, indoors hard). Raonic should score at least 2 points.

namelessone 01-29-2013 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beryl (Post 7176163)

At this point I can safely say that Spain passing 1R is looking very unlikely.

Granollers as team leader?

WTF. :)

Nostradamus 01-29-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavs (Post 7176768)
Good thread, just thought about creating the one..
I expect few tight and very interesting matches..
I think Italy - Croatia is most exciting. Seppi is in good shape now. And if he wins against Cilic, it could bring big problem to Croats.
Then Canada - Spain. I would not pick either safely, may be Canada with small margin (considering they play in Vancouver, indoors hard). Raonic should score at least 2 points.

Canada Spain could be real interesting. Ferrer NOT playing, Spain is being carried by Almagro. LOL. This is his big chance. but afraid his game doesn't translate well against Raonic's big game and 1st strike tennis.

Poor Almagro, just can't get into situations where he is the HERO of davis cup for Spain. Not this time either.:(

Warmaster 01-29-2013 07:08 AM

Pospisil on a fast court will give a good fight as well. Canada are the favourites imo.

Overall, I think Serbia will win it again, it looks like Djokovic is willing to play again this year and with Tipsarevic they have a very solid second player. Troicki as a reserve and Zimonjic for the doubles. Strong team.

rev200g 01-29-2013 07:22 AM

Almagro has pulled out I believe.

CDNguy87 01-29-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beryl (Post 7176643)
Yes, that is exactly why I wrote that Granollers will be forced to carry the load for Spain. Reread my post if you think I was slighting Granollers, I most certainly wasn't.

However, it must be noted, Valencia is quite slow for an indoor hardcourt. The court in Canada should be quite fast. Outside of Valencia, Marcel doesn't have a good record either indoors or on hardcourt.

Spain should still be slight favourites. Ramos and Granollers should beat Pospisil or Dancevic, but it's hard to see either beating the Servebot. So it would comedown to doubles, where Granollers/Lopez are a very solid team and should be favourites.

I don't know about Spain being favoured in doubles. If Canada has a Nestor/Pospisil duo for doubles, that might be quite formidable on indoor HCs. Spain's doubles team has an atrocious record at Davis Cups in recent years, so it should be very interesting.

If I were the Canadian coach, I'd sit Pospisil out for the first day of singles (against Spain's #1 singles player) so that he's well-rested for the potentially crucial doubles match. If it comes down to the decisive 5th rubber with each team's #2 singles player (which means either Milos loses one or Canada blew it in doubles), then I'd substitute in Pospisil for that as he's the better singles player than Dancevic.

thejackal 01-29-2013 07:57 AM

I'll be in Vancouver later this week to cover the tie.
http://tennisconnected.com/home/2013...panish-armada/

Actually think Guillermo Garcia-Lopez will be the second singles player after Granollers. Ramos is not very good on hardcourt, nevermind a fast indoor court. Garcia-Lopez has beaten both Nadal and Murray on hard, and play the kind of flat game that can give the Canadians trouble

Agreed with CDNguy87 regarding Pospisil. Actually just wrote the Team Canada preview saying essentially the same thing. You never know with something like Mono, so we'll see how much Vasek is actually going to play.

As for the doubles, the Spanish team matches up well against Nestor, especially in best-of-five (2-0 last year, both on hard courts). I'd say the Canadians are slight underdogs there actually.

FEDERERNADAL13 01-29-2013 08:19 AM

I'm really excited about Canada vs. Spain. The Canucks can really make something happen here!

If we get through, we'll play either Croatia or Italy, which I think we could take that tie too!

Imagine a Canad Serbia semifinal. That'd be epic :)

underground 01-29-2013 12:29 PM

Could Switzerland win with a one-man team? I mean Stan going out full power against Berdych and Stepanek, plus miraculously winning the doubles to advance.

thejackal 01-29-2013 12:33 PM

team Canada preview
http://tennisconnected.com/home/2013...y-canucks-2-0/

GRANITECHIEF 01-29-2013 12:35 PM

Very good first round matchups.

Spain and Switz will have their hands full.

norbac 01-29-2013 12:35 PM

^^^Stepanek is out, Rosol is to replace him.

augustobt 01-29-2013 01:35 PM

Wawrinka x Berdych
Marco x Rosol
Doubles
Wawrinka x Rosol
Marco x Berdych

Is that correct?

InvisibleSoul 01-29-2013 02:58 PM

Had such high hopes when the Davis Cup tie against Spain was first announced, and then to see Nadal, Ferrer, and then even Amalgro pulling out was a huge downer.

But at the very least, this gives Canada a real shot at actually winning the tie.

If Raonic can win his two matches, then Canada just has to pull off one upset out of the remaining three matches... very doable.

Love Game 01-29-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquis (Post 7176092)
Which countries do you favour for the Davis cup this year? Any potential match-ups you're looking forward to?

I don't usually follow the DC, but will try to watch more matches this year.

Will tomic play for Australia? Will the Czech/Spanish trash talking continue (Berdych vs. Almagro)? Have France made major changes to their team?

the information regarding the tournament s/b included in the OP, because if sometody else posts it furtehr down page 1 or on later pages, it can easily be missed by members expecting to find it here.

what are the dates?
who's playing?
is there a link?

thx,