Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What is behind the power of the IG Radical Pro (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452975)

VeeSe 01-28-2013 09:05 PM

What is behind the power of the IG Radical Pro

Hey all,

So it's my understanding that stiffer frames are more powerful and that heftier frames can be more powerful (when swung at the same speed) due to more mass, but what exactly is it that makes a racquet such as the IG Radical Pro much more powerful than its MP counterpart?

Is it just purely based on the additional swingweight? Even compared to other racquets outside the Radical line, it is definitely not one of the stiffer racquets out there, nor is it one of the heavier frames on the player frame side. So what exactly is it that makes everybody say that it is so powerful?

eleventeenth street 01-28-2013 09:22 PM

i've thought about this a little bit as well. maybe a lot of the weight is focused at the tip of the racquet?

VeeSe 01-28-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleventeenth street (Post 7176478)
i've thought about this a little bit as well. maybe a lot of the weight is focused at the tip of the racquet?

This should be reflected in the swingweight of the racquet, so yes, it could very well be the reason, but is the racquet more powerful than another racquet with equivalent swingweight and more or less similar mass? If so, why? :confused:

corners 01-28-2013 10:06 PM

Yeah it's the swingweight mostly and the inherent power that it brings. Look at the power potential data for the Ig Pro, the 2012 PDR and the 16x19 Donnay Pro One using this tool: http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-...mparepower.cgi

Each of these three tested frames had almost the same swingweight, so it's an apples to apples comparison. Notice that all three have pretty much the same power potential in the middle of the strings. That's a function of swingweight, which tells you how much mass is in the head of the racquet. The Pdr is stiffer, but that's an advantage only on shots hit near the tip, which is also shown in the data. Basically, the effect of stiffness on "power", meaning shot speed, is very slight. If a racquet flexed at RDC 100 it might be another story, but the difference between 62 and 72 is not so great. I have no idea why people use stiff racquets.

There might be something else going on, like local hoop stiffness - the IG Pro might have a hoop of steel, although I haven't heard anything like that - but these are the mysteries of the racquet engineers and they don't tell us about it. The fact they don't, through the marketing departments, suggests to me that any such mysteries are of little importance anyway.

Also notice that Chris at TW gave the IG Pro a pretty high power score in his review, but he gave the C10 Pro, a racquet with a "noodle" upper hoop, an even higher score. All that said, I would like to try the IG Pro; such is the allure of the mythical "powerful" frame. LOL

JGads 01-28-2013 11:10 PM

I, for one, scratched my head at the 'crazy how much power there is' TW review. For me it felt very controlled, not overly powerful at all because of the nice flex that pocketed the ball very well. Stiffer frames are always the more powerful beasts for me -- the 6.1 95, for example, or the Bab tweeners.. Those are the super powered sticks to me. I loved the Rad Pro. Or of the better offerings of the last year or so I think. If it had a tighter string pattern I'd have loved it more. But a solid, solid stick. Demo before writing it off as too powerful.

Ross K 01-28-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGads (Post 7176620)
I, for one, scratched my head at the 'crazy how much power there is' TW review. For me it felt very controlled, not overly powerful at all because of the nice flex that pocketed the ball very well. Stiffer frames are always the more powerful beasts for me -- the 6.1 95, for example, or the Bab tweeners.. Those are the super powered sticks to me. I loved the Rad Pro. Or of the better offerings of the last year or so I think. If it had a tighter string pattern I'd have loved it more. But a solid, solid stick. Demo before writing it off as too powerful.

How was it to swing, Gads? A bit slow at times? Very different I know but the older YT Rad Pro felt a bit too heavy for me in the hoop.

If anyone has experience of both, how does the Extreme Pro 2.0 and IG Rad Pro compare?

BigM 01-29-2013 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGads (Post 7176620)

Time to try the Graphene Speed Pro if you like the Rad Pro... So nice!

TRVX1912 01-29-2013 04:07 AM

The MP has a 18X20 String pattern which will give you less power but more control

The Radical Pro has a 16X19 string pattern

VeeSe 01-29-2013 08:06 PM

Thanks all for the replies!

I already use IG Rad Pro as my main stick, so I wasn't really asking for the purposes of switching to it. I was just curious.