Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How good is Federer's defense? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452984)

Jeffrey573639 01-28-2013 11:59 PM

How good is Federer's defense?

Obviously it's a bit reduced now, but for the older members, just how good was Fed defensively during his younger years?

FedererDropShot 01-29-2013 12:02 AM

RoS:

It's still up there against the biggest servers.

Baseline:

It's still gr8. Just not as good as like the rest of the Big 4 probs.

TheCheese 01-29-2013 12:03 AM

Watch Federer highlights from his prime. He was lightning fast and his running forehand was ridiculous.

The Meat 01-29-2013 05:09 AM

Defense was so good it could turned into an offensive attack in a flash.

The current Federer's defensive tactics are pretty much to get the ball in play until the opponent makes a mistake or he neutralizes the rally to try to get on the offensive side.

djokovic2008 01-29-2013 05:26 AM

Tennis has evolved his defence is not a patch on nadals murrays or djoker if you don't believe me watch the last point of the 2012 O2 finals where fed smashes djoker out wide and somehow djoker still hits a winner on championship point ridiculous.

axel89 01-29-2013 06:08 AM

5th in the top ten not as good as ferrer djokovis murray or nadal BUT in his prime it was just under djokovic or murray's

forzamilan90 01-29-2013 06:33 AM

Prime Fed's defense is up there in the all time rankings. It's still great these days, he can still hang with the young guys in rallies.

tudwell 01-29-2013 06:38 AM

He never had the pure speed of Nadal or Djokovic, but he had an incredible read on the game and could change direction better than anyone. I think, in his prime, his anticipation was some of the best in history and that allowed him to defend on a level a bit better than his pure running speed would appear to allow - not that he's anywhere close to slow, though. Add to that he could hit amazing shots on the dead run, especially his marvelous flick backhand passing shot. His explosiveness has declined with age and that has begun to hamper him, particularly when defending on the forehand wing. Now he can get blown off the court by a big hitter, as indicated by his losses in slams to Soderling, Tsonga, and Berdych. In his prime he could absorb whatever pace was thrown at him and still turn the point around.

heninfan99 01-29-2013 06:41 AM

When he was 26 yrs old he was as good as anyone.
I was always impressed when someone ripped a return low to his feet and he'd get down and rip a backhand like it wasn't a big deal. He still does that actually.

tudwell 01-29-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heninfan99 (Post 7177163)
When he was 26 yrs old he was as good as anyone.
I was always impressed when someone ripped a return low to his feet and he'd get down and rip a backhand like it wasn't a big deal. He still does that actually.

That's an aspect of Federer's defense I didn't mention: He didn't give up ground. He did his best to stay forward and take the ball on the rise. Obviously, one can't always do that, but it made things harder for the attacker when the ball came back as fast as you hit it and the other guy's still waiting on the baseline for your next shot.

tennis_pro 01-29-2013 06:51 AM

Very good.

Onto the next thread.

Cesc Fabregas 01-29-2013 07:02 AM

He has good lawyers.

ark_28 01-29-2013 07:09 AM

It is excellent still he was defending superbly against Tsonga in the quarters it is still very difficult to hit through Federer's defense.

That is why the display from Isner last year in the Davis Cup is all the more amazing having lost the 1st set to hit back and win so well in 4 sets with his brand of big time tennis was incredible.

Huge serving and forehands bullying Federer around the court, great as Federer's defense still is there was nothing he could do about that!

El Diablo 01-29-2013 07:52 AM

It's admittedly early in the year, and defense is difficult to quantify, but if service break percentage is an indicator of turning a defensive posture into an offensive one, Roger's not doing so well. He ranks 64th on the ATP list of service break percentage this year.

ultradr 01-29-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tudwell (Post 7177157)
He never had the pure speed of Nadal or Djokovic, but he had an incredible read on the game and could change direction better than anyone. I think, in his prime, his anticipation was some of the best in history and that allowed him to defend on a level a bit better than his pure running speed would appear to allow - not that he's anywhere close to slow, though. Add to that he could hit amazing shots on the dead run, especially his marvelous flick backhand passing shot. His explosiveness has declined with age and that has begun to hamper him, particularly when defending on the forehand wing. Now he can get blown off the court by a big hitter, as indicated by his losses in slams to Soderling, Tsonga, and Berdych. In his prime he could absorb whatever pace was thrown at him and still turn the point around.

+1
Yep. He doesn't own pure speed of Nadal,Djokovic,Murray. But his ability to
anticipate and read on the points is probably GOAT.
And yep he definitely slowed down a bit with aging.

Anaconda 01-29-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tudwell (Post 7177157)

Good post, I think the only guy I've seen overpower the Federer of old and win was down under in 2005 when Safin came to play, other than that, most big hitters had hardly any success against Federer, if any.

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-29-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaconda (Post 7178280)
Good post, I think the only guy I've seen overpower the Federer of old and win was down under in 2005 when Safin came to play, other than that, most big hitters had hardly any success against Federer, if any.

That's because Marat Safin was another freak of nature with his skills set. He hit like some of the bigger guys but moved like some of the little guys.

I thought Marat Safin was really the only guy that gave Roger Federer any problems.

axel89 01-29-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaconda (Post 7178280)

nalbandian not a big hitter but back then was a Massive hitter could hit anywere angles up the line

Defcon 01-29-2013 02:13 PM

No one still has Fed's ability to handle balls right off the bounce for amazing pickups. In his prime he would routinely hit those for winners as well.

And Fed's ability to turn defense into offense was also unmatched. Nowdays you see someone like Djoker/Murray slowly gain the advantage in a rally, but Fed could turn things around in an instant, even from the most defensive of positions.

But I think the biggest difference is he just didn't miss, no matter how long the rally or hopeless the position. Now its common to see Fed lose the point with an error, or hit a weak passing shot attempt straight back to the guy at net. This never used to happen.

Anaconda 01-29-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7178289)
That's because Marat Safin was another freak of nature with his skills set. He hit like some of the bigger guys but moved like some of the little guys.

I thought Marat Safin was really the only guy that gave Roger Federer any problems.

On occasion I agree, but I do think if Safin wasn't dead, he would have won the final in AO 2004, he was great against Roddick and Agassi. I used to be harsh on those guys for not beating Federer as often, but then I see Federer at 30 pushing these current champions, sometimes laying beatdowns to them and I think these guys did really well against Federer when he was literally the boss.