Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Fed vs Murray on clay now - how would that go down? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452987)

Towser83 01-29-2013 12:51 AM

Fed vs Murray on clay now - how would that go down?

Thinking about the AO semi final, I am of course not surprised that Federer lost. In fact we all know it could have been a lot worse. Federer got killed by Murray on grass (alright he was wiped but he could have been a bit tired in this match too) and the AO is probably the worst surface Federer could face Murray on. It's the slowest surface apart from clay, and Murray is not that good on clay.

But that got me thinking, would Murray have a good chance to beat Federer on clay NOW? Has Federer become too bad on slow surfaces recently? Murray's movement on clay is still not as good as Nadal, Djokovic or even Federer but given his human backboard style game, could he actually match up well vs Federer despite being underdog vs Ferrer and several other clay naturals?

In Fed's prime I don't give Murray much chance, but if they happen to meet this year on clay at RG, how would that match go down? I'm not sure but I still like to think Federer would win this in 4.

FedererDropShot 01-29-2013 12:59 AM

Murray's movement on clay is bad.

And if you take movement away from Murray, he's basically a goner. (see his injury causing him to lose so quickly in sets 3 and 4 in AO13 finals)

Federer has the upper hand. Even if Murray wins, I'd think it'd be in 5 AT BEST. Otherwise, Federer in 4.

Terenigma 01-29-2013 01:14 AM

Murray is getting better on clay but its no secret that its his worse surface so i still think Federer has the edge here. I dont really see Murray being the fave in any matchup vs the top 5 on clay at all.

Altho with that said, i really dont think its set in stone who will do the best on clay this year, Ferrer is pretty good on clay and i dont expect Nadal to come straight back to the king of clay since the other main guys have all showed extremely good form this year.

Towser83 01-29-2013 01:22 AM

yeah i still think Federer would exploit Murray's movement issues on clay nd win, I just get this feeling that by the time they finally do meet on clay Federer will be too past it to win, maybe he'll not have the stamina anymore. But hopefully that's not the case.

Gonzo_style 01-29-2013 01:41 AM

Murray has played great against Nadal and Djokovic on clay in 2011, if he returns to that form, I think he can beat Federer on clay

batz 01-29-2013 01:44 AM

Roger would still be clear favourite on clay IMO.

Murray's 2011 clay season is still his high point.

Prisoner of Birth 01-29-2013 02:03 AM

I think Murray could beat him. Depends on Federer's preparation this year, though. But I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Federer's consistency and longevity mean he loses to players who only recently have become that good.

Towser83 01-29-2013 02:28 AM

what's funny is between the 4 of Fed, Nadal, Djoko and Murray, Fed vs Murray on clay is the only match up that hasn't happened. All other player vs player on whatever surface has happened.

axel89 01-29-2013 03:41 AM

I would say 60 -40 federer in the lead just barely though Murray I think is working on clay the most at this point

JRAJ1988 01-29-2013 04:47 AM

I always thought after all the training in Barcelona in his youth, Murray would be a force on clay. He's not though has made the quarters or better 3 out of the past 4 years.

Goosehead 01-29-2013 04:54 AM

for some reason murray is a camel on clay..poor sliding / movement ??,:confused:

every year i keep expecting more..that semi vs djokovic in 2011 at rome ?? was he best effort although he lost..in 2012 on clay he didnt do alot (back problems, pulled out of madrid)

so..federer all day long on clay.

augustobt 01-29-2013 04:58 AM

If Ferrer and Berdych can make Murray looks like their ***** on clay... imagine Federer.

batz 01-29-2013 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by augustobt (Post 7176992)
If Ferrer and Berdych can make Murray looks like their ***** on clay... imagine Federer.

If Donald Young and Alex Bogomolov can make Murray look like their b1tch on hardcourt.....imagine Federer.

cknobman 01-29-2013 06:37 AM

Fed in 3 or 4.

Murray is just simply not that great of a clay court player.

tudwell 01-29-2013 06:45 AM

I don't have a hard time imagining Murray beating Federer on clay based on the tactics employed in most of their other matches, but the monumental difference in their achievements on clay would make Federer the huge favorite.

joeri888 01-29-2013 07:34 AM

Fed's the favourite, but it's not unthinkable he loses.

pvaudio 01-29-2013 07:37 AM

Has anyone saying Murray actually seen him play a clay court match? There is no competition here, any of the Spanish squad could blow him off the court.

Tammo 01-29-2013 07:38 AM

Murray played very well against Djokovic Rome, Nadal MC (2010?) and Nadal RG (2011?) So he can play well on clay

Homeboy Hotel 01-29-2013 07:43 AM

Murray can play very well on clay.

It all comes down to who is serving better, Federer had an AWFUL serving RG last year and his movement is seriously exposed on the clay.

******** vs Murray, I'd probably tip Murray in 4.

kalyan4fedever 01-29-2013 07:50 AM

first he should get past ferrer to think of federer