Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Being Recruited at a Junior College (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452989)

Overdrive 01-29-2013 03:38 AM

Being Recruited at a Junior College

Hey TT, I just wanted to know the basis of being recruited at a junior college? I'm planning on going to a junior college later this year, but I haven't made any direct contact with the head coach.

Do I need any recommendations or do I just try out for the team?

I'm a 4.0-4.5, but I have a disadvantages over people that have talked to the coach when they were younger.

Oops, wrong thread. Mods, please sticky this to the College section.

schang70 01-29-2013 08:48 AM

You should contact the head coaches directly and inform them of your interest and tennis credentials, USTA ranking, a recruiting video etc. If no USTA ranking then results against opponents who do have USTA ranking. Just like D1, some JCs have tryouts for walkons and some don't, you need to ask the coach. Some JCs are more competitive and play at a higher level than others, just depends. I had a teammate in high school who was probably playing at the higher end of the 4.5 NTRP scale and got a full tennis scholarship to a community college.

Overdrive 01-29-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schang70 (Post 7177494)
You should contact the head coaches directly and inform them of your interest and tennis credentials, USTA ranking, a recruiting video etc. If no USTA ranking then results against opponents who do have USTA ranking. Just like D1, some JCs have tryouts for walkons and some don't, you need to ask the coach. Some JCs are more competitive and play at a higher level than others, just depends. I had a teammate in high school who was probably playing at the higher end of the 4.5 NTRP scale and got a full tennis scholarship to a community college.

Really? Well I will make the necessary actions to contact the head coach.
There's only eight men and 5 women so it's not competitive. :)

anhuynh16 01-29-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7176898)
Hey TT, I just wanted to know the basis of being recruited at a junior college? I'm planning on going to a junior college later this year, but I haven't made any direct contact with the head coach.

Do I need any recommendations or do I just try out for the team?

I'm a 4.0-4.5, but I have a disadvantages over people that have talked to the coach when they were younger.

Oops, wrong thread. Mods, please sticky this to the College section.

Just curious because I saw you were in Texas. If you play USTA, what level are you (zat,champs,supers?)

andfor 01-29-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7178416)
Really? Well I will make the necessary actions to contact the head coach.
There's only eight men and 5 women so it's not competitive. :)

Which JC in Texas. Most of them are pretty good. The JC's typically have up to 9 scholarships. If you hurry and get in front of the coach soon you may be able to get a scholarship offer. Talk with him ASAP.

LeeD 01-29-2013 03:52 PM

Walkons generally get the lowest priority for making the team, so you better get on your horse and make the rounds.

Overdrive 01-29-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anhuynh16 (Post 7178439)
Just curious because I saw you were in Texas. If you play USTA, what level are you (zat,champs,supers?)

Sorry, I'm in USTA, but I've never played a USTA match.

I think I should register for some local tournaments. :-|

Overdrive 01-29-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 7178511)
Which JC in Texas. Most of them are pretty good. The JC's typically have up to 9 scholarships. If you hurry and get in front of the coach soon you may be able to get a scholarship offer. Talk with him ASAP.

Central Texas.
Sorry, but I just sprained my ankle and I just started playing again.
It's pretty weak and it decreased my mobility/agility. :(

Overdrive 01-29-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7178541)
Walkons generally get the lowest priority for making the team, so you better get on your horse and make the rounds.

Why? Because of low expectations?

Some random dude shows up, and already is judged before he hits the court?

Discrimination!

I should sue and become wealthy. :cool:

anhuynh16 01-29-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7178807)
Sorry, I'm in USTA, but I've never played a USTA match.

I think I should register for some local tournaments. :-|

Yes, you should. Most college players (from texas) usually are supers, so I highly recommend playing ZAT tournaments soon.

Overdrive 01-29-2013 07:37 PM

ZAT? What's that?

And what's a super? The good people right? Usually 4.0+?

However, I really want my healing ankle to be functioning before my injury. I'm still not walking right after 6 days. :/

anhuynh16 01-29-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7179002)
ZAT? What's that?

And what's a super? The good people right? Usually 4.0+?

However, I really want my healing ankle to be functioning before my injury. I'm still not walking right after 6 days. :/

Yes,

ZAT: large pool of players: mixed of beginners and sometimes a person coming from out of state(usually good). Usually 2-3 tournaments a month( different regions of texas)
CHAMPS: Gets narrowed down just a bit, smaller pool and you have some really bad people and some good people. Usually 1 or 2 tournaments a month.
Super Champs: Best players in Texas (mostly). Starts getting really competitive in the 16s div. That is the age group where a lot of kids decide to quit or go on. I'd say the 16s are 4.5-5.0 because I have a few friends in 16s and they can easily win 5.0 tournaments at clubs. 1 tournament a month for 12s and 14s and 1 for 16s and 18s. In June there is the "Grand Slam" which all supers qualify for. Its a huge tournament that lasts 4 days. Actually headed to dallas in a couple of days for the supers tourney.

Hope you heal up fast!

andfor 01-30-2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7178812)
Central Texas.
Sorry, but I just sprained my ankle and I just started playing again.
It's pretty weak and it decreased my mobility/agility. :(

Which JC? Central Texas? Does not appear they have a tennis team or do they? Or are you at Temple JC?

JLyon 01-30-2013 07:57 AM

I got a full ride to a JUCO in AL being only Mid-level Championship (Granted 15 years ago), if you look around someone might be interested. Unfortunately in many areas the JUCO's are moving the way of the dinosaur slowly but surely.

Overdrive 01-30-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 7179567)
Which JC? Central Texas? Does not appear they have a tennis team or do they? Or are you at Temple JC?

Temple JC.

Overdrive 01-30-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anhuynh16 (Post 7179068)
Yes,

ZAT: large pool of players: mixed of beginners and sometimes a person coming from out of state(usually good). Usually 2-3 tournaments a month( different regions of texas)
CHAMPS: Gets narrowed down just a bit, smaller pool and you have some really bad people and some good people. Usually 1 or 2 tournaments a month.
Super Champs: Best players in Texas (mostly). Starts getting really competitive in the 16s div. That is the age group where a lot of kids decide to quit or go on. I'd say the 16s are 4.5-5.0 because I have a few friends in 16s and they can easily win 5.0 tournaments at clubs. 1 tournament a month for 12s and 14s and 1 for 16s and 18s. In June there is the "Grand Slam" which all supers qualify for. Its a huge tournament that lasts 4 days. Actually headed to dallas in a couple of days for the supers tourney.

Hope you heal up fast!

Hmmm... :-|

Thanks for the information!

Don't forget to post on the board and tell us about the tournament!

P.S. Please give a brief description (playstyle) of all the players you watch.

Also, thanks for the recovery sympathy. It sucks not moving like I used to.

Overdrive 01-30-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLyon (Post 7179830)
I got a full ride to a JUCO in AL being only Mid-level Championship (Granted 15 years ago), if you look around someone might be interested. Unfortunately in many areas the JUCO's are moving the way of the dinosaur slowly but surely.

What do you mean? :confused:

lstewart 01-31-2013 07:05 AM

Overdrive, I assume you are going to Temple anyway, and would like to play on the team? If that is the case, just send the coach an email, tell him you are enrolling, and want to play on the team. He can let you know what it would take to make the team, if you need to go through try-outs, etc. If you are only interested in going to Temple if you can play tennis, you absolutely need to get in touch with the coach. I would think a Texas JC would be pretty competitive, with all the tennis talent in the state. I don't know about Temple, but I played college tennis with guys that came from Tyler JC and they were all good. With your lack of tournament experience, you'll probably have to prove yourself to the coach so he knows you are a solid player. Just shoot him an email and give him all your info. Good luck!

lstewart 01-31-2013 07:08 AM

Also, you can't judge a team not being competitive by having 8 guys. College tennis has 6 guys playing, and many programs are not allowed to carry big rosters due to the expense. My son is talking to college programs and many of them have limits on their roster size. But that probably is a good sign for you having a chance to at least make the team.

Chemist 01-31-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstewart (Post 7181940)
Overdrive, I assume you are going to Temple anyway, and would like to play on the team? If that is the case, just send the coach an email, tell him you are enrolling, and want to play on the team. He can let you know what it would take to make the team, if you need to go through try-outs, etc. If you are only interested in going to Temple if you can play tennis, you absolutely need to get in touch with the coach. I would think a Texas JC would be pretty competitive, with all the tennis talent in the state. I don't know about Temple, but I played college tennis with guys that came from Tyler JC and they were all good. With your lack of tournament experience, you'll probably have to prove yourself to the coach so he knows you are a solid player. Just shoot him an email and give him all your info. Good luck!

Temple College or Temple University? Temple U is a D1 school with several pretty good players. Walk on Temple U will not be easy.