Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Pro's don't start out using custom sticks (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453019)

christo 01-29-2013 08:43 AM

Pro's don't start out using custom sticks
 
Considering that every pro player began their career or pro journey at an early age using off the shelf frames is it safe to assume that many of them and certainly the majority of college and satellite players are using bone stock frames? There is an almost obsessive fascination with what this or that player is really using when you think that many of the players are using paint jobs over racquets that they honed their games with. Joker, Fed, Delpo, Fish are probably using frames that are extremely close to what they were given when they had no clue they would be world class.
If all the big racquet companies just churned out the same frame with a different paint job we'd all be bored to death. However I would love it if you could choose from a player's stick that came with different paint options a la the Prestige with that gorgeous green paint job from the David Wheaton era. Hello Head, are you listening? The current candy cane color scheme that seems to be in vogue is just too hideous for words:-?

dman72 01-29-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christo (Post 7177477)
Considering that every pro player began their career or pro journey at an early age using off the shelf frames is it safe to assume that many of them and certainly the majority of college and satellite players are using bone stock frames? There is an almost obsessive fascination with what this or that player is really using when you think that many of the players are using paint jobs over racquets that they honed their games with. Joker, Fed, Delpo, Fish are probably using frames that are extremely close to what they were given when they had no clue they would be world class.
If all the big racquet companies just churned out the same frame with a different paint job we'd all be bored to death. However I would love it if you could choose from a player's stick that came with different paint options a la the Prestige with that gorgeous green paint job from the David Wheaton era. Hello Head, are you listening? The current candy cane color scheme that seems to be in vogue is just too hideous for words:-?

From all appearances it looks like Djokovic grabbed a TT Radical off the shelf and added lead as he got older and stronger.

From all appearances, Fed used a pro staff and then had a frame custom designed for him as he rose in the ranks, which all of his signature racquets are somewhat based on now.

From all appearances, Nadal took an off the shelf Babolat and still uses the same racquet.

I don't think there's any mystery to it at all, but the racquet companies have to sell more frames, so they keep lying about technologies and what the pros use.

What you propose, a basic "vantage"ization of the racquet companies makes sense, but will never happen.

TennezSport 01-29-2013 10:49 AM

Correct but...........
 
You are correct that all players start off with standard racquets. However, customization usually starts because of the variances in racquet specs even in the same model. We custom weight and balance a lot on racquets for HS, college and lower ranked pro players who have 3 or more racquets.

Once they begin to feel the difference, they usually start tinkering to get that perfect feel from every frame. So you can see how the pros over time begin to customize their frames when working with the manufacturer or customization house.

Since most companies are trying to sell their racquets to the masses they cannot use pro specs as they would be too hard for rec players to play with. Their best attempt is to make a Pro, MP and light version of a model and let you select. Most companies will just say buy the frames that feels best to you and customize it to your desires.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

christo 01-29-2013 07:55 PM

Which makes perfect sense. I have heard that to many racquet techs and pros the most critical thing is the swing weight and I'm starting to believe that also.
That would change as a top junior got bigger and stronger but then again who knows?

TennisCJC 02-07-2013 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dman72 (Post 7177625)
From all appearances it looks like Djokovic grabbed a TT Radical off the shelf and added lead as he got older and stronger.

From all appearances, Fed used a pro staff and then had a frame custom designed for him as he rose in the ranks, which all of his signature racquets are somewhat based on now.

From all appearances, Nadal took an off the shelf Babolat and still uses the same racquet.

I don't think there's any mystery to it at all, but the racquet companies have to sell more frames, so they keep lying about technologies and what the pros use.

What you propose, a basic "vantage"ization of the racquet companies makes sense, but will never happen.

Fed and Nadal also customize with lead as their static and swingweights are higher than stock models. But, they are using a customized retail racket. Nadal was using an older generation and not the latest model and there's a lot of speculation that Fed is still using an older model - both use latest paint job.

Doubles 02-07-2013 09:50 AM

You bashed the paint job of the Prestige, so any argument you have is now completely invalid.

big ted 02-07-2013 08:55 PM

i dont think the pro racquets are better, they just use it because its what theyre used to. in 5 years some pro will be playing with a youtek prestige painted as the newest model because thats what hes used to

robbo1970 02-08-2013 03:33 AM

I think most players start with a base racket, but then we tweak things here and there to get the feel more to what we like and prefer. Pro's are no different.

Wilander Fan 02-08-2013 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCJC (Post 7197504)
Fed and Nadal also customize with lead as their static and swingweights are higher than stock models. But, they are using a customized retail racket. Nadal was using an older generation and not the latest model and there's a lot of speculation that Fed is still using an older model - both use latest paint job.

That original APD that Nadal uses is a pretty good racket. The GT and newer cortex versions play really differently. Even old rec players search for older frames long after they have been discontinued since they are so comfortable with them.

christo 02-08-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles (Post 7198044)
You bashed the paint job of the Prestige, so any argument you have is now completely invalid.

"The current candy cane color scheme that seems to be in vogue is just too hideous for words".
Where did I mention Prestige in the previous sentence? The Prestige is one of the few sticks that does have a lovely paint job (except for the god awful Microgel mess)
I'm thinking more of Wilson and Dunlop.

The Meat 02-09-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christo (Post 7201528)
"The current candy cane color scheme that seems to be in vogue is just too hideous for words".
Where did I mention Prestige in the previous sentence? The Prestige is one of the few sticks that does have a lovely paint job (except for the god awful Microgel mess)
I'm thinking more of Wilson and Dunlop.

I actually liked the microgel paint job, the flexpoint looked like crap and felt like crap with the two holes messing up the flex of the racquet. :-?

Did you put a white overgrip and use black or red strings in the microgel? Really brings out the paint job.

novak.20v 02-09-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles (Post 7198044)
You bashed the paint job of the Prestige, so any argument you have is now completely invalid.

Truth.

I don't get how they look like candy canes to the OP.

Dave M 02-10-2013 07:40 AM

I used a "kfactor" 6.0 95 pro staff for a while not because i wanted a paintjob but because i wanted to use a 6.0 95 and no other way to get a new one.
Many though get caught up in it all because of who uses what!

rkelley 02-10-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennezSport (Post 7177766)
You are correct that all players start off with standard racquets. However, customization usually starts because of the variances in racquet specs even in the same model. We custom weight and balance a lot on racquets for HS, college and lower ranked pro players who have 3 or more racquets.

Once they begin to feel the difference, they usually start tinkering to get that perfect feel from every frame. So you can see how the pros over time begin to customize their frames when working with the manufacturer or customization house.

Since most companies are trying to sell their racquets to the masses they cannot use pro specs as they would be too hard for rec players to play with. Their best attempt is to make a Pro, MP and light version of a model and let you select. Most companies will just say buy the frames that feels best to you and customize it to your desires.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

I have three "identical" Prince Rebel 95 frames. I had to buy and sell several frames to get three that were even close to each other. The general variation was quite large. These three are still all different, and I've been tweaking each one with lead to get them to feel exactly the same. Via trial and error I've gotten them pretty close. On top of this, as I've been playing more in the last couple of years, I've been generally adding lead to the head. The handles are different too, though all theoretically L3, but I'm just living with that.

Doubles 02-10-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christo (Post 7201528)
"The current candy cane color scheme that seems to be in vogue is just too hideous for words".
Where did I mention Prestige in the previous sentence? The Prestige is one of the few sticks that does have a lovely paint job (except for the god awful Microgel mess)
I'm thinking more of Wilson and Dunlop.

"However I would love it if you could choose from a player's stick that came with different paint options a la the Prestige with that gorgeous green paint job from the David Wheaton era. Hello Head, are you listening?" You mentioned it right there.

Coach Carter 02-21-2013 10:29 AM

I think players come up using off the rack racquets and make weight customizations as they get stronger and better. As they get on the tour and get famous, the companys make changes and I think the things that happen are that the players (and we all are like this, crave consistency...we don't like our crap to change)...the players say "make them LOOK however you like but it better be the same in reality under that paint...say whatever you want to the fans but I better have 25-50 of MINE". It may just come down to customizations (weighting) or whatever, but we are creatures of habit.

TennezSport 02-22-2013 07:16 AM

Another point.....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rkelley (Post 7204266)
I have three "identical" Prince Rebel 95 frames. I had to buy and sell several frames to get three that were even close to each other. The general variation was quite large. These three are still all different, and I've been tweaking each one with lead to get them to feel exactly the same. Via trial and error I've gotten them pretty close. On top of this, as I've been playing more in the last couple of years, I've been generally adding lead to the head. The handles are different too, though all theoretically L3, but I'm just living with that.

This is another reason why customization has become so prevalent today. Manufacturering tolerances vary from brand to brand, so customization can make all of the racquets feel and perform the same. Usually how is starts for all advanced and pro players.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

canny 02-24-2013 09:41 AM

Obviously. There are tennis players who tinker/fine tune with their racquets or have them customized so they feel similar to another racquet. Then there are others who just play stock with whatever. Then there are some pro's who through play testing and data have a racquet company fine tune something specifically for them.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse