Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Blade 93 (2013) thread ! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453037)

Sundan 01-29-2013 11:44 AM

The Blade 93 (2013) thread !

So,just starting a thread where we can post about our 93:s.

I'll start with my impressions so far;
Great balance,solid feel. A bit stiff at first but it came with a synthetic gut at high tension, i cut it out and replaced it with a multi/poly hybrid at 26/25kg and it was better.

However since i wanted my elbow to heal up faster i cut that out too after a few sessions in benefit for full multi(sensation) at 24kg, and it was a even better,so ill stick with that until my arm is better.

Another player at my club did the opposite,he cut the sensation out and replaced it with rpm blast and he felt that was alot better,so if you dont have arm problems it could be worth trying.

I was impressed by the 98 18/20 version regarding serve,and that has more weight in the head so i just added close to 4grams total at 3/9-ish to see if it would widen the sweetspot and add some pop to serves.

I have an overgrip on,my scale indicates it at ~6grams so balance is still about the same.

Looking forward to next session to see if i notice any difference :)

marsh 01-29-2013 01:04 PM

I have this racquet and it is currently strung with full 4g at 60 lbs. Before anyone makes a _ comment, I normally play full poly at 60 lbs. I really like it on every stoke except for my forehand, I get great control, but I really have to swing out.

I'm trying to figure out what string to try next. I may even try a full bed of multi in it.

Great pace and placement on serves, volley are solid with nice pop, backhand is rock solid. I really like the solid feel of the stick.

donnayblack99 01-29-2013 02:28 PM

Blade 93 man

I've been playing with the blade for over a month now... it's the modern day ProStaff 85. This is what Wilson should have done with the ProStaff line- make a PS 93... instead they called it the Blade 93.

This stick is solid from the baseline. Mine is strung with NRG 18g @ 50 lbs and plays like a dream. I'm coming off playing with the Prince Original Graphite 93 for almost 20 years. Everything about this stick is a winner for a player's racquet. It's not too stiff like a Prestige, not too dead like a Dunlop 200 series and not too noodlely like a Becker London Tour/ Volkl PB 10. It's just right...

It dampens the vibrations, it has a more than generous sweet spot, its paint job is killer and it's not string sensitive. I've strung mine with Gosen synthetic gut 18g, Technifibre blackcode 18g, prince synthetic gut w/ duraflex 18g, Luxilon Big Banger, Tourna big hitter black and Technifibre NRG18. For me, the NRG plays best either as a full string job or as a hybrid with a black code or big hitter black poly.

I'm a former NCAA DIV 1 singles player, now 40. I only play once a week, however, I can still out hit most guys out there. It you're looking for a nice and comfortable player's stick... look no further... Blade 93 is it.

Ronski 01-29-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnayblack99 (Post 7178176)
I've been playing with the blade for over a month now... it's the modern day ProStaff 85. This is what Wilson should have done with the ProStaff line- make a PS 93... instead they called it the Blade 93.

This stick is solid from the baseline. Mine is strung with NRG 18g @ 50 lbs and plays like a dream. I'm coming off playing with the Prince Original Graphite 93 for almost 20 years. Everything about this stick is a winner for a player's racquet. It's not too stiff like a Prestige, not too dead like a Dunlop 200 series and not too noodlely like a Becker London Tour/ Volkl PB 10. It's just right...

It dampens the vibrations, it has a more than generous sweet spot, its paint job is killer and it's not string sensitive. I've strung mine with Gosen synthetic gut 18g, Technifibre blackcode 18g, prince synthetic gut w/ duraflex 18g, Luxilon Big Banger, Tourna big hitter black and Technifibre NRG18. For me, the NRG plays best either as a full string job or as a hybrid with a black code or big hitter black poly.

I'm a former NCAA DIV 1 singles player, now 40. I only play once a week, however, I can still out hit most guys out there. It you're looking for a nice and comfortable player's stick... look no further... Blade 93 is it.

"Modern day ProStaff 85" I like the sound of that... Blade 93 im goint to try you out... :)

Relinquis 01-30-2013 01:23 AM

i really want to try this stick.

How do you like the string pattern on the Blade 93 (18x20) in terms of spin? Can you get enough spin on slices, drop shots and topspin ground strokes?

I want to try a mid with a tighter string pattern than what I currently have (mine is a 14 x 18, so pretty open, same head size 93").

v205 01-31-2013 04:04 AM

How does this 2013 Blade 93 compare with K-blade Tour (93) and BLX Blade Tour / 93?

Is it the most arm friendly of the 3 different generations?

mykoh 01-31-2013 04:54 PM

i've been eyeing this stick for the longest time.

my only worry is that i like my sticks to be around 355-360g 4-5pts HL 340-345SW, and a leather grip if possible. do you guys think those specs are possible with the blade93 and lead?

Sundan 02-02-2013 12:50 PM

So,i played a couple of days ago with the added lead,its about 3,5grams in total,split at just above 3 and 9.

I believe it added a little length in general and some extra pop in serve,if its imaginary or real i dont know :)

Will keep it for a while and see how it works.

frunk 02-02-2013 01:05 PM

Doesn't even come close to the KBlade tour. Also, wilson changed the handle on the tour and I really dislike it.

Sundan 02-24-2013 08:19 AM

Did anyone try low tension on this one ?
Im at about 54 pounds but considering 48-50 pounds to get a softer feel,im worried it could turn into a rocket launcher though,it does feel quite firm still so it could work.

Im using wilson sensation 16,so its a soft string but my arm is bugging me so i have to go softer tension or softer racquet.

Could be interesting to try a hybrid at even lower tension with a poly mains, to add some spin to make the shots dip down faster.

I just read that just from changing string pattern 18*20 vs 16*19, the 18*20 should be stringed up to 5 pounds lower to feel the same,and this one also have smaller head so i guess it would add even more stiffness.

That could explain why my Vcore 100s feels softer at 60 pounds and same string.

Relinquis 02-24-2013 08:35 AM

if you're not a string breaker try a thinner gauge string, 17g or so if full-bed* multi. it will feel softer at the same tension. Dropping the tension is another option.

I don't know if the headsize is another factor in feeling stiffer than the same setting in a bigger headed stick with a similar rating. It makes sense that the stringbed might feel stiffer on a smaller head at the same tension. I'm sure the resident experts will let us know if this is the case. ;)

* Probably not the best idea to have such a thin gauge multi in a hybrid.

Sundan 02-24-2013 08:48 AM

The options on strings is very limited where i string my racquets,so its easier to drop tension first.

Relinquis 02-24-2013 09:11 AM

cool. hopefully that works out. let us know either way.

zoobears 04-05-2013 02:43 PM

how does it compare to the kblade tour? I have both but I haven't had the chance to hit with the blade 93 yet. The head size of the 93 is slimmer and more oval shaped than the kblade tour.

gavna 04-06-2013 08:42 AM

I don't play with the 93 but I will say this its the COOLEST looking FU%#ing frame out there!!!!! Wilson did a brilliant job - well done.

zoobears 04-08-2013 08:29 AM

I played with it past 2 days. The grip it comes with is SO fat. I took it off and placed a flatter one. after you put the overgrip on you can't feel the large buttcap as much.

Once the grip size was fixed and I put some lead on 3 and 9, it was the similar balance to my ag100...

to be honest... I can't feel an extreme difference with the extra 3 inches of head. It doesn't feel more or less forgiving.. I have to brush up more now because of the string pattern. I definitely miss the unintended super spin that would come off my racquet from the ag100.

John Z. 01-14-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundan (Post 7233438)
Did anyone try low tension on this one ?
Im at about 54 pounds but considering 48-50 pounds to get a softer feel,im worried it could turn into a rocket launcher though,it does feel quite firm still so it could work.

Im using wilson sensation 16,so its a soft string but my arm is bugging me so i have to go softer tension or softer racquet.

Could be interesting to try a hybrid at even lower tension with a poly mains, to add some spin to make the shots dip down faster.

I just read that just from changing string pattern 18*20 vs 16*19, the 18*20 should be stringed up to 5 pounds lower to feel the same,and this one also have smaller head so i guess it would add even more stiffness.

That could explain why my Vcore 100s feels softer at 60 pounds and same string.

---

@Sundan: i used to play with 61 pound on a 97 sqInch prince (titanium response 97). Lately started to play with Blade 93 2013; an amazing player stick with as much emphasis on control and feel as is possible. Due to various arm issues i progressively went from high 50s to 45 pounds (with prince syntgut w duraflex - 16), and it feels like i could prob drop it even a bit further and still have plenty of control on the ball. The 18 by 20 pattern combined with a small 93 sqInch frame makes 45 pounds feels like 60 in any babolat rocket launching sticks (most of babolat's, that is).

Blade 93 2013 is the single best player stick i have ever tried. I would rather have it in a 95 sqInch format... but you can't just have it all now can yah :)

Hope this helped.

zoobears 01-15-2014 06:06 AM

Kblade tour is the best.blade 93 has a horrible buttcap.

thatguymattin 01-15-2014 12:29 PM

I don't see why you guys don't like the buttcap. It's only a little rounder than other racquets because of it's grip, I still like it though.

thatguymattin 01-15-2014 12:51 PM

I used to play with blx tours', but switched to the blade 93, and I can say that the blade has a more dampened feel than the tour 90's. The frame feels like it has a very generous sweet spot for its racquet head size. For me, my one-handed backhand is my favorite shot with this racquet; serves are also very nice. My forehand, one the other hand, feels iffy. I feel as though I have to play more flat with this racquet, otherwise the ball seems to float longer with topsin compared to the blx tour.

Currently, my frames are strung with a full bed of rpm blast 17g at 54lbs. I'm thinking to increase the tension to 56 or 57 because it feels a bit too damp, and I'd like to have a more crisp feeling. Has anyone tried the racquet at higher tensions?