Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Did I just fry my machine? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453065)

ellipticality_224 01-29-2013 03:49 PM

Did I just fry my machine?

I have an eagnas combo 6010 (yes I know, not a good brand). Tonight I was stringing a racket and all was well until one time I was pulling a main to tie a knot at 65 pounds, I turned around briefly as the string was tensioning to change the song that was playing and suddenly I hear a "pop!" It scared me thinking I had just broken my racket, but to my relief it was just the string. It was because the stringer started to tension the string, and never stopped! It kept pulling and pulling until the string popped, I am reliefed it was not my racket that gave way first. So, I turn it off thinking the computer system was just crazy and reset it and turn all the tensions back to normal and cut a new half set of string (polylon so it doesnt really hurt my wallet) and pull the first main again, and it just kept pulling and pulling long past 58 pounds until I pressed the button to release the tension head. At this point I am sure something is wrong. So I cut it off AGAIN and try it at its starting tension when you first turn it on, which is a low 9.9 pounds awaiting you to edit it, so I pull it at 9.9 pounds and again it keeps pulling and pulling long past 9.9 pounds, until I once again cut it off. Im not sure what I did, or if I did anything to mess it up. Or if its just cheap wiring that eagnas puts in their machines. Someone please help, this was a thousand dollar machine.

struggle 01-29-2013 05:04 PM

Were you pulling 65# on the knot?

ellipticality_224 01-29-2013 05:13 PM

Thats just the way I prefer to do it, I dont like to lose tension when i tie knots, my ways may be questionable, as no one actually taught me how to string, I kinda trial and errored it by looking at an already strung racket, but that was several years ago, I have since picked up refined skills and different methods. But thats just the way I pull knots. My pet peeve is a loose string on the the upper, lower and sides of the racket. Ive never broken or damaged a racket like that either and have been stringing for 3 years I think.

ellipticality_224 01-29-2013 05:17 PM

I've also had this Eagnas Combo 6010 machine for a while now and before that it was the SMART 6000 which I sold to upgrade to this one. Ive never had problems with Eagnas machines until tonight. Not sure what happened, but Ive already called eagnas and they just told me to recalibrate it, and it works fine now, I guess the tension sensor was just whacked. For a few minutes there I though I was going to be out of a stringer for a few weeks and a pretty handsome repair fee, along with shipment fees. I actually learned to string on an Alpha Crank, and I hated it, I used to work up a sweat moving all around that thing because the turntable was so rough.

db10s 01-29-2013 05:36 PM

You really aren't supposed to tighten the knots with the tensioner. It puts a large amount of force on an area of the racket that isn't supposed to have that much force applied to it. It puts an unnecessary stress on the racket, IMO.

ellipticality_224 01-29-2013 06:07 PM

No, I wasnt tightening the actual knots with the tensioner, I was tightening the string tighter to tie the know to compensate for tension loss after I tighten the know.

Lakers4Life 01-29-2013 07:04 PM

Isn't the Combo 6010 and Smart 6000 the same machine? Excpet for the trigger on the string gripper on the Combo 6010.

Aside from your major fault of using the tensioner to pull knots. I assume you were trying to over tension the last main or cross to tie off, which is OK. It's called the "Knot" fuction on some machines, but was not intended to pull knots.

I guess you seemed to have fix the problem, by re-calibrating your machine.

ellipticality_224 01-29-2013 08:13 PM

Again I was not using the tensioner to tighten or pull the knots, just to increase the tenison on the last main to compensate for tension loss when the knot gets tightened, by my hand!

And yes, they are the same machine, It was time for a new one anyway, or I wanted a new one, all in all I ended up only spending 429 dollars on my combo 6010 when I sold the smart 6000.

Lakers4Life 01-29-2013 08:35 PM

I once considered a Plus 8000, but I got lucky and got a Sensor.

ellipticality_224 01-30-2013 04:24 PM

Anyway, I was in a sort blown off by Maxline Eagnas. An asian man picked up the phone and was very hard to understand, and I eventually had to ask for someone else, I ended up talking to a girl named michelle whom I could understand easily. She seemes to not want to help me, she didnt offer a walk through or asked me if If I knew how to calibrate my machine. The first thing she said was "send it in and we will fix it." which would have cost me probably 200 dollars with shipping factored in. When in reality nothing needed to be fixed, at most they would have replaced a part anyway, maybe just recalibrate it, and charge me for labor as well.

After she immediately told me to send it in without helping me troubleshoot, I asked her if there was anything I could try to fix it, and she said "try recalibrating it." and proceeded to attempt to get me to hang up trying to say "is that all?", that was it. Very blunt and not something I would expect from a company. Luckily I knew how to calibrate a machine and had the tools to do so, otherwise if it were a newbie to techincal problems (I have great experience in repairing electronic devices so I could have probably done a repair myself if need be) I would have been completely lost and would have wasted a good amount of time and or money trying to get it fixed.

Although I fixed it, I am not happy with customer service from Eagnas. I know some have had similar experiences with Eagnas and CS, with them not wanting to help you with their own faulty products.

PBODY99 01-30-2013 08:05 PM

This company's price is for product, not service. They work on a commodity model.