Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   All Prestige Experts please Help: Are my IG prestige grommets the problem????? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453089)

PointConstructor 01-29-2013 10:02 PM

All Prestige Experts please Help: Are my IG prestige grommets the problem?????

Hey friends,
I have been having a torrid time with my IGPMP.
The problem is this racquet does not have any pop and torsional stability especially when I am trying to hit with spin.It has a small sweetspot and has given me arm problems.
I have tried sonic pro 17 twice in low 50s and it killed my arm.
Tried RIP Control 17 at 52 lbs for comfort(did not use a dampner) and noticed while it brought decent pop(not much,didnt expect either.),hitting with spin would still twist the racquet in my hand. Sweetspot was also nothing special.
But as soon as I put a dampner in the strings the stringed becomes dead and stiff suddenly.I have never notice such stark contrast in playability with use of a dampner in any racquet before.What may be causing it?
The thing is unlikely to be a fake one as I got them from authorized HEAD India dealer.
Could it be because my grommets(ClearCAP) may be defective and are not allowing the strings to slide over one another?
Should I change to black ones?
How do I figure out the problem and rectify it?Is there a way out or should I dump it altogether.
I understand that with players' sticks you get what you put in but in this case I am not even getting 40% and having unwanted elbow issues instead.
I do not want to give up on the racquet as I love the easy swing,ease with which I can hit 1HBH,the way it makes you want to play aggressively and.... oh I forgot.... the money it cost me().
I can feel that there is something missing with the racquet as I have played with a few heavier player's racquets and can notice the difference.
Please help............

Ess 01-30-2013 02:24 AM

I play with three IG Prestige Pros (bought at TW) and have not noticed any issues with the grommets. Did you have arm pain before? with which racquets? The Pro doesn't bother my arm (full bed is WCSS or SPPP at 50) and the MP is softer and not likely to cause arm pain especially with the RIP. If you have never had issues with another racquet, there may very well be something to this as the IGPMP is a pretty stable racquet. I don't know if it would be th grommets, but it would be cheap enough to replace them and put you mind at ease.

PointConstructor 01-30-2013 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ess (Post 7179350)
I play with three IG Prestige Pros (bought at TW) and have not noticed any issues with the grommets. Did you have arm pain before? with which racquets? The Pro doesn't bother my arm (full bed is WCSS or SPPP at 50) and the MP is softer and not likely to cause arm pain especially with the RIP. If you have never had issues with another racquet, there may very well be something to this as the IGPMP is a pretty stable racquet. I don't know if it would be th grommets, but it would be cheap enough to replace them and put you mind at ease.

HeyEss
Many thanx for ur views.
I have never had arm issues(may be few minor ones but not recently).
I have a farely decent technique.
I have been trying to eleminate the variables,that is why I first went with Sonic Pro 17 at 55 and then 51 lbs,but that damaged my arm.
I tried Sonic in other racquet(wilson 310 gms) and noticed that while I was not having as many problems as with the prestige but that string is definitely very stiff and can harm the arm.
So then I come to rip control 17,get decent pop and comfort without dampner but cant understand why the racquet becomes totally dead once I put in a dampner?
While trying to hit with spin(Have a fast wrist action and more conventional forehand grip,not a western grip),I can feel the strings refusing to slide over each other.And since you grip is not very firm when u r hitting with spin,the racquet either twists in your hand or you can not connect properly.
I an attempt to eliminate one more variable I am thinking of changing the grommets,but I doubt that I can get black grommets in India very easily,howsoever cheap they may be.
Is there any chance that I may be right regarding my suspicion about the grommets.
I have also tried 4 gms of lead at 3&9 but did not get much benefit.
I played with Wilson N-coed six-one team(18x20,upweigthed to 315 unstrung)before Prestige and never had problems hitting good groundies or finding the sweetspot.
I need all the help as I really do not want to give up on this racquet.

MikeHitsHard93 01-30-2013 05:25 AM

The prestige naturally has a small sweetspot, and you may not be used to a racket with such a small sweet spot. The prestige mp also has a much lower sw than most players frames, which gives it low power and not much stability. Add 2grams @10 and 2 for more power, stability, and bigger sweet spot. If that doesn't work, get a new racket that's easier for you to use.

anubis 01-30-2013 08:24 AM

I have an IG Prestige MP as well and I can definitely agree that it has a very small sweet spot. I've never really realized it as much until I had a 1.5 hour hitting session last night with a new 2013 Babolat APD. That thing has a HUGE sweetspot. Not once did I mis-hit the ball. All shots felt very solid and well-connected to the racquet. It was a nice vacation from "small sweet-spot-ville".

All I can say is the Prestige is an advanced player's racquet that's designed for people who have very good hand-eye coordination. Same with the BLX 90 that Federer uses. It takes more skill to wield those sticks consistently for an entire 2 hour match and live to tell the tale.

It's not the cap grommets, either. There isn't anything special about them, only that they add more weight to the hoop (which is their purpose).

Also, 52 lbs with a multi? that must be rather powerful. Honestly, you should be stringing that thing no less than 56 or 58 lbs with a soft, powerful multi such as RIP control. I think you may find better stability with your shots.

I don't use multis in my Prestige, I use poly so I can get away with stringing @ lower tensions. I understand you may have arm issues, but that's a really soft frame. If you still have arm issues with a soft multi @ 58 lbs on a 62 RA racquet, then you perhaps should see a doctor. It doesn't get much softer than that.

OR, your stroke could be off. What's your grip? SW? E? W? Perhaps post a vid of yourself hitting in the Tips section.

vsbabolat 01-30-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis (Post 7179896)
I have an IG Prestige MP as well and I can definitely agree that it has a very small sweet spot. I've never really realized it as much until I had a 1.5 hour hitting session last night with a new 2013 Babolat APD. That thing has a HUGE sweetspot. Not once did I mis-hit the ball. All shots felt very solid and well-connected to the racquet. It was a nice vacation from "small sweet-spot-ville".

All I can say is the Prestige is an advanced player's racquet that's designed for people who have very good hand-eye coordination. Same with the BLX 90 that Federer uses. It takes more skill to wield those sticks consistently for an entire 2 hour match and live to tell the tale.

It's not the cap grommets, either. There isn't anything special about them, only that they add more weight to the hoop (which is their purpose).

Also, 52 lbs with a multi? that must be rather powerful. Honestly, you should be stringing that thing no less than 56 or 58 lbs with a soft, powerful multi such as RIP control. I think you may find better stability with your shots.

I don't use multis in my Prestige, I use poly so I can get away with stringing @ lower tensions. I understand you may have arm issues, but that's a really soft frame. If you still have arm issues with a soft multi @ 58 lbs on a 62 RA racquet, then you perhaps should see a doctor. It doesn't get much softer than that.

OR, your stroke could be off. What's your grip? SW? E? W? Perhaps post a vid of yourself hitting in the Tips section.

C.A.P. System Grommets are not there to add more weigh to the hoop. They are there to protect the hoop and strings from damage when coming into contact with the court.

If you liked the Babolat Aero ProDrive so much better I highly recommend you switch to it. You are comparing a 16x19, variable widebody 100sq.in frame to a 18x20, straight beam, 95sq.in frame. They are two totally different animals.

TheRed 01-30-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsbabolat (Post 7179944)
C.A.P. System Grommets are not there to add more weigh to the hoop. They are there to protect the hoop and strings from damage when coming into contact with the court.

If you liked the Babolat Aero ProDrive so much better I highly recommend you switch to it. You are comparing a 16x19, variable widebody 100sq.in frame to a 18x20, straight beam, 95sq.in frame. They are two totally different animals.

I totally agree that the comparison to an APD is pointless. That's like saying you drove a miata and a camry and the miata is so much more fun to drive. The APD and Prestige are aimed at completely different parts of the market. By the way, I find the sweetspot on the prestige mp to be fairly large for and 18x20 95 sq in frame.

taurussable 01-30-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis (Post 7179896)

rip control is far from a powerful multi, 58 lbs on prestige is too much

MikeHitsHard93 01-30-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taurussable (Post 7179960)
rip control is far from a powerful multi, 58 lbs on prestige is too much

Agreed. The sweet spot would be minuscule...

Gee 01-30-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7180037)
Agreed. The sweet spot would be minuscule...

I agree. First I had my IG Prestige MP strung at 27/26 kg (59/57 lbs) that felt way too boardy. Lately I had it strung at a 24/23 kg (53/51 lbs) tension that feels much better to me.

PointConstructor 01-30-2013 10:33 PM

Thank you guys.
You all are very welcome to help me out.
My logic is simple. It could be either me or the racket underperforming.
I have played with a few players rackets such as earlier ProStaff90,PS95 6.1si,Dunlop200G(18x20,2002-2004 version, don’t know the exact iteration because it's not on the racket.).I could play very comfortably with each of them though wielding them for 1-2 hours would tire me out.
I have also played with K-90(Asian version 320gms) but never had problems finding sweetspot,spin and comfort.
I asked other guys to hit with my IGPMP,they all seem to agree that the racquet is transferring shock to the arm and the stringed feels stiff.I have following doubts that you can clear
Why does the racket becomes totally dead as soon as I put on a dampner, even with a multi (RIP Control 17) at low tension?
Has anybody ever noticed change in racket’s performance after replacing grommets.Are grommets likely to be the culprits?
I am open to question my own abilities but there is definitely something with the racket also. I also agree with views that IGPMP’s performance improves with weight modifications but shouldn’t the stock racket must also be fairly acceptable?

PointConstructor 01-31-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRed (Post 7179957)
I totally agree that the comparison to an APD is pointless. That's like saying you drove a miata and a camry and the miata is so much more fun to drive. The APD and Prestige are aimed at completely different parts of the market. By the way, I find the sweetspot on the prestige mp to be fairly large for and 18x20 95 sq in frame.

Man,I wish I could sneak in my prestige in your bag and run away with yours:twisted:.BTW I also dont like the APDs much as I prefer more compact and conventional frames.

TheRed 01-31-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointConstructor (Post 7181430)
Thank you guys.
Why does the racket becomes totally dead as soon as I put on a dampner, even with a multi (RIP Control 17) at low tension?
Has anybody ever noticed change in racket’s performance after replacing grommets.Are grommets likely to be the culprits?
I am open to question my own abilities but there is definitely something with the racket also. I also agree with views that IGPMP’s performance improves with weight modifications but shouldn’t the stock racket must also be fairly acceptable?

I don't think it's the dampener. The dampener is just quieting the racquet so it's not making a pop when you hit the ball. It may have been the "pop" giving you the illusion of hitting harder.
As for strings, RIP control is a fairly dead string. It's a great alternative to polys but doesn't give you the pop multi users are expecting. The IGPMP is fairly muted as well. Combined with rip and dampener, you have a fairly dead racquet. Ideally the racquet should play fine stock, but I believe racquets have gotten just a bit too light for fairly advanced players. My guess is Head (and other mfg) just expects you to customize a bit. While the IGPMP isn't too light, it's SW is too low for advanced players.
My advice: add a bit of weight and change at least the mains to something with more pop. I'd use gut but that depends on what kind of a string breaker you are.

PointConstructor 01-31-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRed (Post 7181961)
I don't think it's the dampener. The dampener is just quieting the racquet so it's not making a pop when you hit the ball. It may have been the "pop" giving you the illusion of hitting harder.

I am not convinced.First of all one needs to trust me.Without dampner the ball I was hitting would easily clear the net with some pace,with dampner it would struggle to cross the net and send vibrations to my arm.
I feel that string are not sliding over each other and that's why all the stringbed placidity,no spin or pop and shock to the arm.
What may be causing this is my simple query.

3fees 01-31-2013 08:38 AM

i have a trio of LM Prestiges Mid plus, Head measures differently on prestiges, it says 98 sq in , yet measuring the string bed excluding the frame they are 95 sq in with a simple formula, measuring including the frame they 98 sq in, 95 sq in has a more compact sweet spot than 98 sq in, thus better hand-eye coordination is called for, as to the vibration-try a gel grip, I added two grams at 3 and 9 o'clock, slight power increase-nice.

:)

dreamneedle 01-31-2013 10:49 AM

What was your stick of choice before deciding to switch? How fast do you break poly?

PointConstructor 02-02-2013 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamneedle (Post 7182531)
What was your stick of choice before deciding to switch? How fast do you break poly?

Wilson n-code 6.1 team(95 sq in,18x20,upweighted to 315-320 unstrung).
mostly play doubles so polys last fairly long.
hit hard forehands(more conventional grip a bit like roger's) and serves.

mikeespinmusic 02-04-2013 08:54 PM

Its the youtek technology making the racquet go stiff at the last point of impact. The stiffness then transferring the shock to your arm. You're also using stiffer poly's. Which is shrinking the sweet spot. Try using a soft poly or hybrid-ing with a multifillament.

I used to own one of these and I swapped it with a friend because when I added lead to it, it would go way to stiff to quickly.. especially on the back scratch part of my serve...

I personally think this is why head has stopped using Youtek and Innegra and moved forward to the graphene compositions.

PointConstructor 02-04-2013 09:17 PM

It's not that.
The point you are making about racket getting stiff at the time of impact should infact make the shots more powerful.
My problem is that it is not the racket that is stiff,it is the stringbed which feels stiff and strins dont move over each other easily,that's why all the problem while hitting with spin,lack of power,smaller sweetspot,twisting and vibrations etc.
My question is
1. Could the grommets be causing this?I am not blaming HEAD clear grommets generally but mine may be defective.As one knows the strings are never in direct contact with racket frame,they are in contact thrugh the grommets.
2. My strings go completely dead and stiff as soon as I put the dampner on even with a multi(RIP Control 17)at low tension(52 lb).Could this phenomenon be indicating towards any problem with the grommets.
3.Has anyone gone through similar problem found solution by changing the grommets.
My queries are very specific.Guys,please help without digressing.Your help is much appreciated.

mikeespinmusic 02-04-2013 10:19 PM

18 x 20 strin pattern isn't going to get much string movement man.. you'll need a textered or sharper shaped string for spin with this frame.