Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Graphene Speed pro and Steam 99s feedback (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453106)

Broly4 01-30-2013 03:56 AM

Graphene Speed pro and Steam 99s feedback

I've been playtesting these two sticks, this is my review:

First of all, I'm a power top spin player ( aggressive, sometimes berserk according to my coach), with a full western forehand grip (almost extreme), and a 2 hnd backhand. Despite my style I prefer dense string patterns, currently playing with a leaded volkl Pb 10 mp.

Speed Pro: Really solid frame, very control oriented, it does feel stiff, but not harsh at all, it's crisp and stable, perfect for flat hitting. Best shots for me were flat serve, and inside out forehand.
It has a good sized sweet spot, but I prefer previous head shape, it had a better spin window, noticeable in killer returns and heavy top spin hitting. It has one of the densest string beds I've seen, in combination with the high stiffness it lacks some dwell time.
I've found it pretty nice for slices and specially touch shots.
All in all a great frame, better suited for hard courts, I've played four matches, against a two 5.0 and an open level player, mixed results but the stick performed greatly.

Federerkblade 01-30-2013 04:28 AM

THank you. would you say spin is lacking on forehand side ??

what about the 99s in comparison

Broly4 01-30-2013 04:30 AM

99s

I must say it's at least interesting, the ball does have a higher trajectory, it's power and easy top spin, the feel is fairly solid for its weight, the control aspect of the frame sufer from the string pattern, but I don't find it much worse than other 16x19. Good power for 1st serves, the kick however, is similar to other frames within its specs range.

I think it's perfect for baseline grinding, awesome for defending aggressively, the aggression will come from the high bounce, not from a huge cut since it can be a rocket launcher. It worked wonderfully for my backhand (which is flatter).

To sum up, I think this stick can be great for 3.0 to 4.5

I break poly each 2 sets in a 18x20, so I would need several of these in order to complete a competitive match, although I didn't use lux 4gs.

Broly4 01-30-2013 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Federerkblade (Post 7179427)
THank you. would you say spin is lacking on forehand side ??

what about the 99s in comparison

definitely lacks some top spin, the trajectory is low and quite nice, but if you go for a cross court heavy top spin forehand (I'm left handed so it's the shot that pays the bills) it lacks heavyness and net clearence.

Federerkblade 01-30-2013 04:45 AM

guess u wont be switching to the graphene pro. guess gut poly may help with spin

Broly4 01-30-2013 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Federerkblade (Post 7179461)
guess u wont be switching to the graphene pro. guess gut poly may help with spin

yeah it can help, I will try it for sure, but I hit too hard with an extreme grip, durability is always a problem.
Dwell time and spin window can be a deal breaker for me, besides worst top bumper/ grommet system ever.

Federerkblade 01-30-2013 05:22 AM

whats wrong withe top bumper grommet system ?

Cesare 01-30-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Federerkblade (Post 7179529)
whats wrong withe top bumper grommet system ?

take a look at this:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451609

Centerforward71 01-30-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broly4 (Post 7179395)

First of all, I'm a 5.5 player, power top spinner style ( aggressive, sometimes berserk according to my coach), with a full western forehand grip (almost extreme), and a 2 hnd backhand. Despite my style I prefer dense string patterns, currently playing with leaded a volkl Pb 10 mp.

Speed Pro: Really solid frame, very control oriented, it does feel stiff, but not harsh at all, it's crisp and stable, perfect for flat hitting. Best shots for me were flat serve, and inside out forehand.
It has a good sized sweet spot, but I prefer previous head shape, it had a better spin window, noticeable in killer returns and heavy top spin hitting. It has one of the densest string beds I've seen, in combination with the high stiffness it lacks some dwell time.
All in all a great frame, better suited for hard courts, I've played four matches, against a two 5.0 and an open level player, mixed results but the stick performed greatly.

It's like I just wrote the above, exactly my findings. I have about 5+ hours with both frames. I've written plenty on the 99s so read that over there. One thing I will say is that two totally different sticks. One is more game improvement oriented the graphene is much more players stick. I will say that I wish it had a tad more spin but regardless this has to be one of the most precise and control oriented sticks I have ever hit with. Alot of power specially on flat shots and flat serves, I have a pretty big flat serve usually. As Broly4 said kick serve and top spin serve not as good due to lack of spin. I strung a textured poly 17g at 50 I may drop that tension by about 5 lbs or even maybe to 38-40 to try it out got a feeling will be good. I really think this stick is asking for lower tensions. I'm gonna test that and report back. To reiterate above great feel great balance all around great stick if I can find a little extra spin with string setup it's going in my bag even if not it may still find a place in the bag.

cork_screw 01-30-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broly4 (Post 7179395)

First of all, I'm a 5.5 player, power top spinner style ( aggressive, sometimes berserk according to my coach), with a full western forehand grip (almost extreme), and a 2 hnd backhand. Despite my style I prefer dense string patterns, currently playing with leaded a volkl Pb 10 mp.

Yup agree with this, as with dr325i's review. It's a good stick, solid, good control and good power but I prefer the older IG mp 315. Spin and redirecting any heavy hard pace balls was pretty effortless with older model. The spin was just monster and the kick was amazing. I just wanted something more along those lines, as opposed to coming out with something completely different. This shouldn't even be called the speed because it was a complete overhaul of an already pretty amazing frame. The mold is completely different and resembles more of an IG Instinct, the head is more elongated. And I the head shape of the older frame created that massive spin. The strings were pretty spread out. This current racquet's head shape is much more squashed around the center and resembles more of a prestige, it lost that roundness for an a more elongated approach. And I have no idea what TW was saying about small sweet spot. That racquet was a total sweet spot. It was huge and I felt it was bigger than the prestige mids out now. And a bigger sweet spot than my 57e's. That is my favorite racquet and I hope head in the future brings some of those attributes back that made it so special. I've hit with a touring player and the IG mp 315 is the real deal.

Federerkblade 01-31-2013 12:23 AM

i asked on andy and he said on you tube the spin was huge with graphene pro

JGads 01-31-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cork_screw (Post 7181344)
Yup agree with this, as with dr325i's review. It's a good stick, solid, good control and good power but I prefer the older IG mp 315. Spin and redirecting any heavy hard pace balls was pretty effortless with older model. The spin was just monster and the kick was amazing. I just wanted something more along those lines, as opposed to coming out with something completely different. This shouldn't even be called the speed because it was a complete overhaul of an already pretty amazing frame. The mold is completely different and resembles more of an IG Instinct, the head is more elongated. And I the head shape of the older frame created that massive spin. The strings were pretty spread out. This current racquet's head shape is much more squashed around the center and resembles more of a prestige, it lost that roundness for an a more elongated approach. And I have no idea what TW was saying about small sweet spot. That racquet was a total sweet spot. It was huge and I felt it was bigger than the prestige mids out now. And a bigger sweet spot than my 57e's. That is my favorite racquet and I hope head in the future brings some of those attributes back that made it so special. I've hit with a touring player and the IG mp 315 is the real deal.

Are you comparing to the older IG Speed 18/20 or 16/19? I think the 18/20 but just curious. I dug the last Speed line, didnt understand all the hate, particularly the 16/19. Usually veer toward 18/20 frames but the 18/20 seemed to feel a bit more unstable than the 16/19, but it was a super brief demo.

Centerforward71 01-31-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Federerkblade (Post 7181492)

Arghhh? Can he comment on that. I love the stick but spin ain't the reason. I am gonna try low tension poly 40+\- I gotta filin !

Broly4 02-01-2013 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Federerkblade (Post 7181492)

I read that answer, but take into account that control is outstanding, and it's pretty easy to maneuver, hence you can swing out fast and with confidence, getting the spin desired, but again, the pattern is really dense and the frame lacks some natural top spin.

Here some data:
The spin window has been reduced from 6.16 to 5.91 (the head shape is more oval and it has a thicker beam) 5.91 is still a good spin window however.
Net clearance of the standard shot from 3.08 to 2.99 ( 3.08 is one of the highest only comparable to the exo3 18x20, whereas 2.99 is one of the lowest.

I feel this can be solved with a thin shaped poly at 50 and below, and all things considered I think is a great stick.

Centerforward71 02-01-2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broly4 (Post 7183942)
I read that answer, but take into account that control is outstanding, and it's pretty easy to maneuver, hence you can swing out fast and with confidence, getting the spin desired, but again, the pattern is really dense and the frame lacks some natural top spin.

Here some data:
The spin window has been reduced from 6.16 to 5.91 (the head shape is more oval and it has a thicker beam) 5.91 is still a good spin window however.
Net clearance of the standard shot from 3.08 to 2.99 ( 3.08 is one of the highest only comparable to the exo3 18x20, whereas 2.99 is one of the lowest.

I feel this can be solved with a thin shaped poly at 50 and below, and all things considered I think is a great stick.

Again I agree with all above. Net clearance also means more loop and more time for opponent to get to ball and to read its path. Flatter trajectory with sufficient spin for control and weight of shot at least to me is still more effective shot than the loop spin unless your Rafa, but does require cleaner strokes. Like I've said before this is a players stick not a game improvement one but a true weapon in the right hands.

By the way I forgot to mention that my first use with this stick was on clay and I will tell you that this is NOT a clay specific stick for the obvious. This is a faster surface type stick again in my humble opinion. Doesn't mean can't be used on the clay but I could not produce certain shots that I can with my speed mp315 16x19, specifically the big kick and top spin serve and the heavy top short angle shots were a lot touchiest and harder. I'm gonna go pretty low I got a feeling this stick will really wake up with low 40s. Maybe even 40poly /44 syn cross or gut cross.

This stick has more to give than with the run of the mill 50lb poly. I'll report back when I try. What have you used string and tension so far ?

Mulach 02-01-2013 07:03 AM

I switched to the Graphene Speed Pro and am absolutely loving it. Before that I was using the IG Prestige MP and before that the IG Prestige Pro.

I'm scratching my head a bit at those that find top spin to be lacking. I only find lack of top spin when I swing too flat for the situation...which I think is to be expected. It could be that the deflection angle is lower than some are used to coming from a more open string pattern. Swing faster and problem solved, IMO.

Andy is dead on. I admire his game, respect his opinion and happen to agree with it based on my experience with this stick, so far. Power, spin control and touch are all "just right" on the high side in my book.

I'm still getting used to the higher SW but it feels pleasantly light in hand and easy to swing ground strokes. At net I notice the higher swingweight most and miss time some reaction volleys.

I'm currently with a full bed of 4G at 52lbs.

I'm rated 4.0 and play USTA singles. Approaching 4.5 in my optimistic assessment :)

Broly4 02-01-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centerforward71 (Post 7184095)
Again I agree with all above. Net clearance also means more loop and more time for opponent to get to ball and to read its path. Flatter trajectory with sufficient spin for control and weight of shot at least to me is still more effective shot than the loop spin unless your Rafa, but does require cleaner strokes. Like I've said before this is a players stick not a game improvement one but a true weapon in the right hands.

By the way I forgot to mention that my first use with this stick was on clay and I will tell you that this is NOT a clay specific stick for the obvious. This is a faster surface type stick again in my humble opinion. Doesn't mean can't be used on the clay but I could not produce certain shots that I can with my speed mp315 16x19, specifically the big kick and top spin serve and the heavy top short angle shots were a lot touchiest and harder. I'm gonna go pretty low I got a feeling this stick will really wake up with low 40s. Maybe even 40poly /44 syn cross or gut cross.

This stick has more to give than with the run of the mill 50lb poly. I'll report back when I try. What have you used string and tension so far ?

Totally, a heavy low trajectory ball is more difficult to anticipate, this really shines on a hardcourt, I've hit with head sonic pro, and going to try it with cyclone 1.25, which I feel will be great.

Broly4 02-01-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulach (Post 7184259)
I switched to the Graphene Speed Pro and am absolutely loving it. Before that I was using the IG Prestige MP and before that the IG Prestige Pro.

I'm scratching my head a bit at those that find top spin to be lacking. I only find lack of top spin when I swing too flat for the situation...which I think is to be expected. It could be that the deflection angle is lower than some are used to coming from a more open string pattern. Swing faster and problem solved, IMO.

Andy is dead on. I admire his game, respect his opinion and happen to agree with it based on my experience with this stick, so far. Power, spin control and touch are all "just right" on the high side in my book.

I'm still getting used to the higher SW but it feels pleasantly light in hand and easy to swing ground strokes. At net I notice the higher swingweight most and miss time some reaction volleys.

I'm currently with a full bed of 4G at 52lbs.

I'm rated 4.0 and play USTA singles. Approaching 4.5 in my optimistic assessment :)

Let's see, I play with 18x20 racquets, with scary( if you allow me) swing speed, and with a full western to hawaian forehand grip, so I get all the top spin I can need, too much sometimes. Simply put the previous version has more spin potential. Much as I admire the work of the Tw crew, and they're truly helpful, the final goal is to sell. Finally kudos to you, you got yourself an awesome frame.

ollinger 02-01-2013 08:55 AM

^^ Yes your swing speed is truly "scary." Allow me to bring you and your ego back to earth by pointing out that you titled this thread as a review of two frames and failed to even mention one of them in your opening post. But yes, your swing speed is terrifying.

Broly4 02-01-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7184482)
^^ Yes your swing speed is truly "scary." Allow me to bring you and your ego back to earth by pointing out that you titled this thread as a review of two frames and failed to even mention one of them in your opening post. But yes, your swing speed is terrifying.

Sorry if I offended you, I sound a bit cocky, maybe I am, but it doesn't mind actually.
I think it was better to devote one post to each frame. Try to shed some light on the review, I just wonder how good was one of your last posts, and how useless has been this one.