Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Randy Moss....... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453142)

struggle 01-30-2013 10:25 AM

Randy Moss.......

So, Randy Moss says he is the greatest WR ever to play football.
Abit brash, yes.

BUT it made me think of my view of Serena.

He may be right, he may be the most talented ever.

I'd say the same about Serena.

But Jerry Rice is the GOAT, no doubt.

TMF 01-30-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7180024)
Abit brash, yes.

Wrong forum. Please visit this thread for discussion.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...439615&page=11

Borrelli 01-30-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7180024)
Abit brash, yes.

Because she looks like she should be on the football field instead of a tennis court?

amx13 01-30-2013 12:36 PM

Serena wouldn't play WR, but LB perhaps...

DropShotArtist 01-30-2013 12:46 PM

I see her more as a fullback.

GS 01-30-2013 01:13 PM

Years ago, Serena actually told the media, "Hey, I'm booty-licious."

Fearsome Forehand 01-30-2013 01:49 PM

There is a long list of great WR's. Hard to see definitively who is/was the greatest. Impossible to compare players from different eras. Same deal as in tennis.

Disgruntled Worker 01-30-2013 02:13 PM

Scott Van Pelt and Ryen Orsillo were discussing this too. Moss was the best of his generation. But then he had years when he just fell off mentally (like the end of his stint with New England). He also was controversial during his Minnesota days, getting into altercations with teammate Matt Birk as well as others. I can't say I was around when Jerry Rice dominated. But looking at the numbers exclusively and without bias, it's not even a question:

Jerry Rice 1549 career receptions to Moss's 982
22,895 receiving yards compared to 15,292
13 Pro Bowls compared to 6
and of course 3 Super Bowl rings compared to 0

TMF 01-30-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 7180431)
There is a long list of great WR's. Hard to see definitively who is/was the greatest. Impossible to compare players from different eras. Same deal as in tennis.

If you compare them by the same position(receiver) they play, I don't see why not. You put any receivers in Rice's era and and situation, no way anyone of them are going to racked up those mind boggling numbers.

TMF 01-30-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disgruntled Worker (Post 7180471)
Scott Van Pelt and Ryen Orsillo were discussing this too. Moss was the best of his generation. But then he had years when he just fell off mentally (like the end of his stint with New England). He also was controversial during his Minnesota days, getting into altercations with teammate Matt Birk as well as others. I can't say I was around when Jerry Rice dominated. But looking at the numbers exclusively and without bias, it's not even a question:

Jerry Rice 1549 career receptions to Moss's 982
22,895 receiving yards compared to 15,292
13 Pro Bowls compared to 6
and of course 3 Super Bowl rings compared to 0

It's the same with comparing Federer to Sampras. Federer basically has everything above Sampras. Only a few die-hard Sampras fans(and Moss fans) are in denial.

Disgruntled Worker 01-30-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 7180526)
It's the same with comparing Federer to Sampras. Federer basically has everything above Sampras. Only a few die-hard Sampras fans(and Moss fans) are in denial.

There will never be another Jerry Rice. His longevity of 20 NFL seasons is similar to the crazy endurance Federer had making it to the Semis of all those majors.

Fearsome Forehand 01-30-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 7180518)
If you compare them by the same position(receiver) they play, I don't see why not. You put any receivers in Rice's era and and situation, no way anyone of them are going to racked up those mind boggling numbers.

It is hard to compare someone like Raymond Berry to Jerry Rice. Or, Don Hutson. The game has changed so much over time. 16 games seasons, multiple rounds of playoffs, 50+ passes per game, etc. Just like it is hard to compare Fed to Laver or to Tilden.

Rice has to be on everyone's top five. He had a great career. Moss not so much.

krz 01-30-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 7180431)

I think in this situation this is not the case. You can debate GOATs at every single position. Every position except one, WR. Rice is pretty much the unanimous GOAT, it's almost impossible to make an argument for anyone else.

LeeD 01-30-2013 04:36 PM

Being a 49'er fan since 1957, I'd compare Moss to Owens and MichaelIrving of Dallas. A handful for sure, but sometimes the effort just wasn't there.

krz 01-30-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7180799)
Being a 49'er fan since 1957, I'd compare Moss to Owens and MichaelIrving of Dallas. A handful for sure, but sometimes the effort just wasn't there.

Owen's issue was his big mouth and throwing QB's under the bus(e.g. Garcia, McNabb), I don't think effort was ever an issue. On the field the guy was a soldier. He produced everywhere he went. SF, Dallas, miraculous comeback to play in the SB for Phili after breaking his leg and putting up a monster game, played hard for Buffalo too when he was here and even the Bungals.

I'm honestly surprised that no one wants to give him a chance anymore, he's stayed in shape and is as ripped as ever.

p.s. If you didn't notice I'm a huge fan of TO haha.

Nostradamus 01-30-2013 05:02 PM

Moss can get open better than Rice

LeeD 01-30-2013 05:15 PM

Yes, Moss can get open better than Rice, but.....
Rice after year 2 made adjustment's to GO FOR THE BALL. Moss, no. He runs his pattern, if the ball doesn't float into his arms, he runs his pattern still...
TO. Same as nowadaze Moss. He could make spectacular catches, but more often than not shortarms the ball that lands on BOTH his hands without breaking stride, his elbows bent 90 degrees. He needed warmup catches before the real thing.
Either way, getting open to entice the QB to throw your way is nothing like making the effort on every ball to CATCH IT!
Effort is not related to talent, or god given physical ability.

r2473 01-30-2013 05:17 PM

I'd like to know what Moss meant when he said he is/was the greatest. Obviously, he wasn't simply looking at stats.

To watch Moss play for Minnesota (before his "attitude problems") was pretty amazing.

LeeD 01-30-2013 05:20 PM

He prolly thinks about the NFL combine requirements.
Fast 40 time.
Tall.
Great vertical leap.
Period. Like no credence to effort, desire, or work ethic.

r2473 01-30-2013 05:23 PM

Now, now. You're being a bit harsh. You're just remembering the "attitude problem" Moss. The the early version was simply amazing.

I loved hearing Chris Carter when he was discussing "The Bounty" scandal, talk about how they had to protect Moss in those days because everyone was out to injure him (because he was just tearing them apart)