Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Article on Djokovic's "ugly tennis" (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453158)

librarysteg 01-30-2013 11:55 AM

Article on Djokovic's "ugly tennis"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion...eserved-credit

Interesting to read, but I'm not sure many of his points add up. Is the love people have for Federer really all about the beauty of his game? That's a part of what I enjoy about watching Federer, but I don't think it's as simple as Federer plays beautiful tennis while Djokovic plays ugly tennis.

sureshs 01-30-2013 12:02 PM

Djokovic's tennis is not ugly at all. He makes fantastic contact with the ball and is very efficient in his strokes.

veroniquem 01-30-2013 12:42 PM

Looking for an angle I guess but not convincing. Interestingly, Nadal suffered the same accusations. Supposedly, Fed would have the monopoly on "aesthetically pleasing" tennis. Fancy excuse to keep heaping praise on Fed when he loses and take away whatever credit possible from the others when they win. Fed nuts are relentlessly devoted to their cause, you have to give them that.

axel89 01-30-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veroniquem (Post 7180415)
Looking for an angle I guess but not convincing. Interestingly, Nadal suffered the same accusations. Supposedly, Fed would have the monopoly on "aesthetically pleasing" tennis. Fancy excuse to keep heaping praise on Fed when he loses and take away whatever credit possible from the others when they win. Fed nuts are unrelentlessly devoted to their cause, you have to give them that.

tbh i find murray's or djokovic is game more aesthetically pleasing nadal right after and then fed

christinamaniac7 01-30-2013 01:15 PM

I get the point and though not totally but somehow agree with the article... One thing is for sure, that nole despite being at his best form and times of his career Isn't as popular as fedal... not only personality-wise but also aesthetically we all would agree that fedal are on another league than murray and novak.

corners 01-30-2013 01:24 PM

Djokovic is the super grinder, the uber grinder who transcends grinding with his ability to defend both sides of the court equally well and then explode into offense. His consistent depth is amazing. Not my cup of tea at all as far as watching pleasure goes, but he's playing fantastically effective tennis.

smoledman 01-30-2013 01:31 PM

I guess if you find this pleasing:

Sid_Vicious 01-30-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christinamaniac7 (Post 7180472)
I get the point and though not totally but somehow agree with the article... One thing is for sure, that nole despite being at his best form and times of his career Isn't as popular as fedal... not only personality-wise but also aesthetically we all would agree that fedal are on another league than murray and novak.

No, we can't all agree with this. Especially about Nadal. You can say whatever you want about Murray and Djokovic's personality, but they are definitely not below Nadal when it comes to aesthetics. Nadal with his over-the-head forehand finishes and scrappy backhands is no oil painting on court..

mariecon 01-30-2013 01:40 PM

What a thing of beauty. Is this tennis or a boxing match?

http://youtu.be/gDUBFPgAcZE

The fans are applauding their stamina, not their style.:twisted:

djokovic2008 01-30-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoledman (Post 7180510)
I guess if you find this pleasing:

I do find it pleasing I think that's a great shot it won him the O2 finals last year.

Masayoshi 01-30-2013 01:48 PM

Djokovic's movement seems unsightly, but there's something very ruthless and efficient about it all the same. In that sense, it is also aesthetically-pleasing, but it's a very different aesthetic - Novak is basically a Gumby Terminator. Fed's is more like a ballerina, and I guess that one's easier for people to appreciate.

Sid_Vicious 01-30-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariecon (Post 7180537)
What a thing of beauty. Is this tennis or a boxing match?

http://youtu.be/gDUBFPgAcZE

The fans are applauding their stamina, not their style.:twisted:

Even as a Federer fan, I have no problem admitting that it was an amazing point. :neutral:

mariecon 01-30-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid_Vicious (Post 7180556)
Even as a Federer fan, I have no problem admitting that it was an amazing point. :neutral:

It was a looooong point. How does that make it amazing? It was two ball bashers pummeling each other into the ground.

NLBwell 01-30-2013 02:10 PM

I think Djokovic's game is aesthetically pleasing

beast of mallorca 01-30-2013 02:19 PM

What is all this talk about aesthetics ? This is a tennis match. You do what you have to do. Get that ball over the net within those lines using that racquet. Winning is what counts, imho.

dominikk1985 01-30-2013 02:54 PM

of course aesthetics Play a role.

for that reason also seles sometimes doesn't get a lot of respect. she was really good but her game was really ugly (plus the screaming). that turned a lot of People off.

same is with fed. People just love his game.

merwy 01-30-2013 02:57 PM

I get the feeling that how he plays is very dependent on who he's playing. For example the AO final was just horrible. He adjusts his game to his opponent. Murray didn't play aggressive, Djokovic felt that he didn't need to be aggressive either to win. He thought he could tough it out and he did. Against Federer he feels like he can't play to defensive or Federer will hit a couple of winners and run away with the match, he can't let Federer dominate. So in a way, he plays just as offensive as the opponent.. only does it better.
I don't know, his last match against Murray was just too boring and passive for me to be able to enjoy it, but I loved his match against Federer in the US Open 2011 (despite the outcome). I've watched the highlights of that match at least 10 times. Just laser beams all over the court.

Hodgey20 01-30-2013 02:59 PM

Love watching Djokovic 2.0 play. Grinding out points takes heart, and he fights for every point.

Steve0904 01-30-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merwy (Post 7180723)
I get the feeling that how he plays is very dependent on who he's playing. For example the AO final who just horrible. He adjusts his game to his opponent. Murray didn't play aggressive, Djokovic felt that he didn't need to be aggressive either to win. He thought he could tough it out and he did. Against Federer he feels like he can't play to defensive or Federer will hit a couple of winners and run away with the match, he can't let Federer dominate. So in a way, he plays just as offensive as the opponent.. only does it better.
I don't know, his last match against Murray was just too boring and passive for me to be able to enjoy it, but I loved his match against Federer in the US Open 2011 (despite the outcome). I've watched the highlights of that match at least 10 times. Just laser beams all over the court.

Good points, but the USO courts are a bit faster too. Fed and Djokovic's AO matches are not exactly great either.

tennis_pro 01-30-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7180338)
Djokovic's tennis is not ugly at all. He makes fantastic contact with the ball and is very efficient in his strokes.

thats so cool, his tennis is still ugly