Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   TW Questions/Comments (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Q. for Chris - Stringing for IG Radical Oversize (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453161)

Dgdavid 01-30-2013 12:52 PM

Q. for Chris - Stringing for IG Radical Oversize

Hi there,

I have recently been playing with the IG Radical OS stock and enjoying it a lot. I bought two from a friend which were strung with Alu Power in the Mains and Attraction in the crosses but both feel a bit soft already. Can you recommend a string and tension? I was going to go for RPM Blast at Mid Tension or maybe even +2 (I usually string my midplus rackets at 4-5lb below mid).

Also, you mentioned you would at weight to the IG Rad OS if you played more with it. What would you have tried?

Cheers

David

Tommyj 01-31-2013 02:50 PM

DgDavid,

I asked Chris almost the exact same question about 2 weeks ago because I just picked up 2 Microgel Radical OS's. I wanted his recommendation for what tension to go with when putting in Cyclone 17g. He suggested at least 54# because the 17g is livelier and maybe even a touch higher if I was planning on adding lead. If you check the Cyclone review, I'm pretty sure Chris used the IG Rad OS for that test and had the tension at 52#, I assume the RPM would go in at a similar tension. He also suggested starting out with lead a 3 and 9 with an equal amount at the top of the grip to maintain the original balance.

Let me know what works for you in terms of adding lead. I've got 2g at each of 3 and 9, and 4g at 12 right now. With an overgrip the balance is 4 HL which is what I like, so I didn't bother putting any weight down by the grip.

Dgdavid 01-31-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommyj (Post 7183111)
DgDavid,

I asked Chris almost the exact same question about 2 weeks ago because I just picked up 2 Microgel Radical OS's. I wanted his recommendation for what tension to go with when putting in Cyclone 17g. He suggested at least 54# because the 17g is livelier and maybe even a touch higher if I was planning on adding lead. If you check the Cyclone review, I'm pretty sure Chris used the IG Rad OS for that test and had the tension at 52#, I assume the RPM would go in at a similar tension. He also suggested starting out with lead a 3 and 9 with an equal amount at the top of the grip to maintain the original balance.

Let me know what works for you in terms of adding lead. I've got 2g at each of 3 and 9, and 4g at 12 right now. With an overgrip the balance is 4 HL which is what I like, so I didn't bother putting any weight down by the grip.

Thanks Tommy, much appreciated. I am tempted to stick a leather grip on too if I add lead. Is that your final set-up or are you still tinkering? I will go RPM Blast 17 at 55lbs and see how that goes.

Tommyj 02-02-2013 05:12 AM

I thought about leather grip as well, but that would have shifted the balance another 1.5 points HL and I'm aiming for about 11.5-11.8 oz. with overgrip and about 4 HL. I'm going to stick with the current setup for a while and see how it works out. I don't think it hurts to go with higher tension when stringing the OS - I got mine pre-strung from TW with the Sonic Pro and the power was almost uncontrollable, but I suspect that the racquet was strung well below the midpoint of the recommended range.

TW Staff 02-06-2013 10:32 AM

Much like Tommyj has said, I would add some weight (about 2-3 inches on either side of the strings at 3 & 9) and then counter at the handle. I might even add more under the grip as I like a more head light feel compared to Tommyj. I would also add a leather grip. One, because I like the feel, and two, because it helps me get the head light feel I like.

While the selection of heavy player's oversize racquets is very slim right now, the up side is there are some -- like the Radicals -- which make great platform racquets for weight/balance customization.

If you don't remove the adhesive backing on the lead tape (but secure it with some other tape like duct tape) you can move the weight around even while on court to play with the balance and feel on the fly and really dial it in.

Best of luck,
Chris, TW

TW Staff 02-08-2013 08:12 AM

OK, since this thread got started, I grabbed a Youtek IG Radical OS and Jonathan was kind enough to lead it up and string it for me. Playing some dubs at lunch with Andy, Spencer and Gran so will take it for a whirl and see how it plays.

Specs are now:
12.3oz
10 points head light
325 swingweight
The RA of my sample is 60 so just two points higher than our tested average.
Strung with TF Razor Code Carbon 16 at 58lbs.

Chris, TW

Federerkblade 02-08-2013 11:28 AM

chris would love to hear abt the razor code carbon ?

and how it plays

is it edged or round

Tommyj 02-08-2013 02:36 PM

I've been playing with my Microgel Rad OS to the specs that I mentioned earlier in this thread (11.6 oz. / 4 points HL / Cyclone 17 @ 54#). It still feels very fast and maneuverable, almost a little too fast, I find myself getting ahead of my forehand quite a bit. The Cyclone feels silky smooth in this racquet, no harshness at all and I'm usually pretty sensitive to full poly setups. I still need to bump up the tension a few more pounds - I know that TW has this frame classified as low power, but I seem to be getting way more pop than with any of the Radical MPs I've played in the past.

Curious to hear your feedback Chris on the mods you've done. I assume that most of the additional weight, aside from some at 3 and 9, has been added in the form of leather grip and also lead at the grip. Do you think adding weight at the grip and letting the balance go more HL would help slow me down coming into my ground strokes?

Thanks

TW Staff 02-15-2013 03:37 PM

Really enjoying the racquet. Lots more power and stability now from the added weight. At first we had the lead in the hoop at 10 & 2, but I moved it to 3 & 9 and it feels better. I now find it more maneuverable, but most importantly, I'm now able to control depth better. With the weight higher in the hoop, I was getting a little too much push behind the ball and was hitting long.

Razor Code Carbon plays great. Lots of grip, pockets the ball pretty well and isn't too stiff feeling. Control is decent and I'd say it is a tad livelier than Cyclone or 4G. Carbon is the only color I've hit so far.

Chris, TW

Federerkblade 02-17-2013 12:32 PM

what tension did you play the razor code at chris ?

TW Staff 02-18-2013 08:17 AM

federerkblade,

Chris mentioned this in post #6. It was at 58 lbs.

Brittany, TW

Sup2Dresq 02-18-2013 08:33 AM

I have mine custom leaded to 12.6oz and play Alu rough @62.

I was fearful that the heft would be to too much but it felt lighter than leading the same specs to a k90. Also the stiff poly didn't shock my arm, probably because it was countered by the low stiffness of the racquet. Guessing.

Federerkblade 02-18-2013 12:37 PM

Apologies i missed that.

Sup2Dresq 04-09-2013 12:48 PM

Thread with some radical oversize customization (includes pics).

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=460057