Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Boris Becker Racquets winding down? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453183)

yonexRx32 01-30-2013 05:32 PM

Boris Becker Racquets winding down?

Boris Becker racquet supply seems to be dwindling.. no new models ... Are they getting out of the racquet business? If so it would be sad because their racquets were definitely not the worst of the market.

Overdrive 01-30-2013 06:33 PM

A guy on here said that they will have some new models near RG/Wimbeldon.

I don't know why though, they are great racquets. Better than those darn Babolats... :mad:

But I'm glad that they are on a fire sale! :D

sundaypunch 01-30-2013 07:09 PM

Boris who?

That's why they are winding down. They may be fine racquets but good luck finding a person under 40 that wants to use them.

pshulam 01-30-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundaypunch (Post 7181206)
Boris who?

That's why they are winding down. They may be fine racquets but good luck finding a person under 40 that wants to use them.

Why do players under 40 dislike their racquets?

dje31 01-30-2013 07:32 PM

Lack of relate-ability? BB played an all-court, attacking game. Who among the current generation does that? You'd think the net was radioactive.

Overdrive 01-30-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Boris who?

I'm under 40...

That's one.

Overdrive 01-30-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Boris who?

That's true though.

No one except my team captain knows who Boris Becker is... :confused:

Bobo96 01-30-2013 08:03 PM

I'm a high level 16 yr old. I switched to the BB london from head prestige pro back in the summer. I have been playing great ever since, alot more authority and aggression in my game! Unfortunately I am forced to search for a new racquet because of the lack of activity from the company. I'm not sure how long they will be able to hang around with their lack of sales. I question that they will be able to make quality racquets in the future as well, I mean they gotta be on a pretty tight budget at this point.

It really is a shame.

Bartelby 01-30-2013 08:15 PM

They went through a lot of turmoil, along with Volkl, but the situation looks like it's stabilising.

It's what happens when you don't just use an oem but also license the brand out.

RollTrackTake 01-30-2013 08:24 PM

Anyone think re-branding the company with a different name (hopefully catchier or more relevant) would help their sales and/or market visibility? Maybe if Volkl absorbed their offerings or spun it off their racquets as a different line? Hate to see them fold up, they make really good racquets.

Overdrive 01-30-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollTrackTake (Post 7181313)
Anyone think re-branding the company with a different name (hopefully catchier or more relevant) would help their sales and/or market visibility? Maybe if Volkl absorbed their offerings or spun it off their racquets as a different line? Hate to see them fold up, they make really good racquets.

They did.

It's called Boris Becker-Volkl. I've seen a few on E bay.

NLBwell 01-30-2013 08:42 PM

People played with Jack Kramer rackets long after he quit being a player.

RollTrackTake 01-30-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7181320)
They did.

thx for the info. back to the drawing board then.

yonexRx32 01-31-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7181320)
They did.

The Boris Becker - Volkl predate the Boris Becker line, if I am not mistaken. The BB-V BB10 was around in 2007... So no, BB is not being transferred to Volkl, at least you cannot infer that from some old stock racket being posted on an auction site.

Tennisspieler 02-01-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Boris who?

People also keep on buying Fred Perry and Lacoste apparel, though both of these former Tennis players have died quite some time ago.

ttwarrior1 02-01-2013 01:22 AM

If he changed the name to nadal or joker would they sale out

Relinquis 02-01-2013 03:14 AM

Do any of the top 50 pros use these racquets?

Kids, juniors and rec players want to use what their favourite players use.... Or at least the sam brand /style of stick.

mikeespinmusic 02-01-2013 03:32 AM

I think Boris owns half of Volkl. But either way. I hope he doesn't wind them down by any means

yonexRx32 02-01-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquis (Post 7183903)
Do any of the top 50 pros use these racquets?

Kids, juniors and rec players want to use what their favourite players use.... Or at least the sam brand /style of stick.

I am not sure this logic applies necessarily. Yes, to compete with Babolat, Head, and Wilson, you would need a representative player to use it on the tour. However, to stay in business, you need a quality product. Pro Kennex, Volkl are companies who do not sponsor many top players. Yet their rackets are used and appreciated in many circles, including on the challenger tour. The C10 Pro is one example. Another example is the Prince Mid Diablo, and POG which aren't "endorsed" by any player on the tour, yet they sell good numbers.

I think the issue with BB, judging by the company's website is a lack of professional management. It seems that both product line and general commercialization lack focus. I don't think Boris pays too much attention to what's going on. He probably licensed his name and that was that.

uabucks 02-01-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeespinmusic (Post 7183920)
I think Boris owns half of Volkl. But either way. I hope he doesn't wind them down by any means

I always thought the Becker rackets were essentially volkls, with slight
modifications. Similar head shape, materials, etc.