Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Anyone have a Nexus7? Likes..dislikes.. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453191)

guitarplayer 01-30-2013 07:38 PM

Anyone have a Nexus7? Likes..dislikes..

I've got the iPad2 and 3. Love my Samsung GalaxyS3 and Android. Thinking of picking up the Nexus7 for a more compact unit for the road. Mainly just for browsing all my forums: numerous guitar forums and here, surfing the web, checking email. I dont watch movies on them. Mainly for my hotel stays....

So, if you have one, give me your 2 cents. Thanks

krz 01-30-2013 09:05 PM

I have an ipad3 and a nexus 7.

Only gripe I have is battery drain issue. I think it may be something in my settings or I have background applications open.

Other than that it runs smooth and works as advertised. I also love the swipe feature for typing vs the conventional keypad. I use it more than my ipad mostly because for me the 7" screen is a whole lot more convenient than a 10.

norbac 01-30-2013 09:13 PM

OP, can I ask why you posses an Ipad 2 and an Ipad 3? I myself can't see the point in having a single Ipad or smart phone if you have a decent laptop.

Andyroo10567 01-30-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krz (Post 7181364)
I have an ipad3 and a nexus 7.

Only gripe I have is battery drain issue. I think it may be something in my settings or I have background applications open.

Other than that it runs smooth and works as advertised. I also love the swipe feature for typing vs the conventional keypad. I use it more than my ipad mostly because for me the 7" screen is a whole lot more convenient than a 10.

Well, location services and brightness are a big factor in battery usage.

guitarplayer 01-31-2013 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norbac (Post 7181371)
OP, can I ask why you posses an Ipad 2 and an Ipad 3? I myself can't see the point in having a single Ipad or smart phone if you have a decent laptop.

Sure the iPad 2 is my personal iPad. the iPad 3 is my company issued iPad which I don't use for personal use.
I hate laptops.

Nuke 01-31-2013 03:45 AM

I have Nexus 7 (and a Nook Color which the wife now uses). I really love the Nexus. The battery isn't really a problem if you're mostly reading books, surfing the net, email. Some of the games are battery hogs, but you can see which ones in the settings/battery screen. The display is always the biggest power user, so you need to turn the brightness down to the lowest level that you can still operate comfortably, and turn off the WiFi when you're not using it. I use mine several hours a day, and plug it into the charger every two or three days. Sooner if I'm playing games.

krz 01-31-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyroo10567 (Post 7181373)
Well, location services and brightness are a big factor in battery usage.

Battery drains even when the screen is off and I'm asleep at night.

I will look into the location services and turning off wifi to see if that will help though.

norbac 01-31-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarplayer (Post 7181599)
Sure the iPad 2 is my personal iPad. the iPad 3 is my company issued iPad which I don't use for personal use.
I hate laptops.

OK, in that case I understand. Thanks.

Nuke 01-31-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krz (Post 7182128)
Battery drains even when the screen is off and I'm asleep at night.

My Nexus only loses about 1% of battery when in sleep mode overnite. Don't just let the Nexus time out to standby mode -- quick click the power button to put it in sleep mode when you're not going to be using it for awhile. It really shouldn't be using much power overnight.