Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   String for Steam 99s? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453199)

cluelessmoose 01-31-2013 12:16 AM

String for Steam 99s?
 
Since getting my Steam 99s I've tried strings like Solinco Outlast, Isospeed Pulse, Polystar turbo 15, and Genesis Twisted Razor at tensions ranging from 55-65lb. Guess what, all of these lose so much tension within an hour or two of hard hitting (4.0-4.5) that the racket becomes an unplayable rocket launcher. Big surprise with this racket, right? ;) So below are the strings that I am looking at trying out now. Which do you guys think has the best chance of holding up tension loss wise in the toy? I string with an electric constant pull tension head (Wise 2086) by the way.

Signum Pro Poly Megaforce 16
Babolat Revenge 16
Tourna Poly Big Hitter Blue Rough 16
Tourna Poly Big Hitter Blue 16 (is tension loss with this string about the same as the rough version?)

Thanks guys!

Francis27 01-31-2013 07:36 AM

The Luxilon 4G S 141 is specifically for the 99S it is fantastic at holding tension!

Torres 01-31-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluelessmoose (Post 7181463)
Tourna Poly Big Hitter Blue Rough 16
Tourna Poly Big Hitter Blue 16

Will be too soft and lively for this particular application in such an open pattern.

I'd go for something stiffer/deader.

If you don't want to go the 4G route, then something like WC Silversting 16 would probably work.

Yonex PTP 16 would also probably work as well.

Both control orientated consistent strings.

I'd avoid anything too lively or springy.

cluelessmoose 01-31-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francis27 (Post 7181888)
The Luxilon 4G S 141 is specifically for the 99S it is fantastic at holding tension!

That would be my first choice but that costs lots dollars and I'm a college student.

mmk 01-31-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluelessmoose (Post 7182101)
That would be my first choice but that costs lots dollars and I'm a college student.

Read through this thread, there are claims that Dunlop Ice, which is really affordable, is similar to 4G:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447596

Doubles 01-31-2013 10:26 AM

SPPP holds tension well. You might want to try that.

Rabbit 01-31-2013 10:32 AM

I received mine yesterday and strung them today. One is strung with Wilson Spin Cycle 16L at 54/52 and the other with Luxilon Ace 18 at 55/53. I can't wait to try them. I also ordered several sets of 4g in every gauge to try.

dmcb101 01-31-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluelessmoose (Post 7182101)
That would be my first choice but that costs lots dollars and I'm a college student.

I just ordered a reel of Pro's Pro Concept (1.38mm) for $47. It is supposed to be a standard poly that is not twisted or anything and holds fairly good tension from what I read. That would be cost effective in my book!

cluelessmoose 01-31-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles (Post 7182320)
SPPP holds tension well. You might want to try that.

How is plasma's tension maintinance compaired to megaforce?

cluelessmoose 01-31-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 7182343)
I received mine yesterday and strung them today. One is strung with Wilson Spin Cycle 16L at 54/52 and the other with Luxilon Ace 18 at 55/53. I can't wait to try them. I also ordered several sets of 4g in every gauge to try.

Wow you're adventerous trying an 18g string. The racket is a hoot to play with. Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

cluelessmoose 01-31-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcb101 (Post 7182496)
I just ordered a reel of Pro's Pro Concept (1.38mm) for $47. It is supposed to be a standard poly that is not twisted or anything and holds fairly good tension from what I read. That would be cost effective in my book!

Where did you get the 1.38? I was only able to find concept in 1.33.

Francis27 01-31-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluelessmoose (Post 7182502)
How is plasma's tension maintinance compaired to megaforce?

Plasmas tension is very similar to 4g its basically a 4g but lower price its only $8

Ross K 01-31-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Will be too soft and lively for this particular application in such an open pattern.

I'd go for something stiffer/deader.

If you don't want to go the 4G route, then something like WC Silversting 16 would probably work.

Yonex PTP 16 would also probably work as well.

Both control orientated consistent strings.

I'd avoid anything too lively or springy.
I'll almost certainly be checking out PTP in the 99s. It's a poly I liked a lot in my previous frame, the J100.

Quote:

Read through this thread, there are claims that Dunlop Ice, which is really affordable, is similar to 4G:
I may well investigate this.

Quote:

The Luxilon 4G S 141 is specifically for the 99S it is fantastic at holding tension!
And I may well investigate this too. Would love to hear from others on how this contrasts with reg 4G, ppls overall impressions, etc.

JLK 01-31-2013 01:31 PM

Used Lux 4G 141 at 53lbs.
Created a slightly stiffer string bed.
Power was a littles less than Lux 4G 125 or ALU but spin increased.
Strings lasted 3 times as long as Lux 4G 125 or ALU.
Weight of racket strung with two over grips was 334 grams.

fibonacci888 01-31-2013 01:45 PM

had my first hour and a half of play with the Steam 99s

setup: 59.5 lbs of Pacific Xcite
strung weight: 325 grams

Profile:
35 years, with good pace on the forehand and reasonable one handed backhand with spin. Likes to hit a hard ball from the baseline, which causes failure sometimes because not every ball is suitable for those shots. Opportunitist.
Good pace on first serve, spin on second. Level compared to US. About 4.5
Racket: Tecnifibre TFlash 315 with 57 lbs Xcite. Strung weight 345 grams

Groundstrokes
The racket comes with very easy acces to power. The sweetspot appears to be huge and lets you really rip the ball. Trajectory of the ball is indeed a bit higher but a little adjustment lets you place the ball easilly near the backline. Hitting the winner takes some getting used to because the spin takes out some speed.
Best part of the racket is getting your opponent from corner to corner with your inside out spin balls. Super!
Concern is the durabillity of the tension of the strings since you can feel them move. I'm not a real stringbreaker.

Serve
Easy access to spin but struggled a bit with pace. My current rackets are 20 grams heavier and i missed a bit of pace. Did hit a killer spin second serve ace. Didn't hit enough serves to get a solid verdict on this one.

Volley
Racket feels really stable with volleys. Easy to get into place, and great for overhead smashes. I found challenges in placing a hard return deep in the court. Control was a bit missing due to ball trajectory out of the racket. Takes some getting used to.

Touch
Hitting a a good dropshot or touch slice backhand to the back of the court takes some getting used to. Balls can sail long or come short due to the stringbed. On short volley or feedback of the racket it feels great. The feedback is solid and gives enough feel for delicate shots. Just need practice.

concerns
  • Needs a string that keeps it's tension longer than avarage.
  • Hitting the "winner" needs practice
  • pace on serve

conclusion so far
Very, very interesting racket. This could be my new stick if i work/train on my concerns. It suits my type of play, so it seems, but will need to test more.

I'll test some more and share my thoughts with you guys.

JackB1 01-31-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluelessmoose (Post 7181463)
Since getting my Steam 99s I've tried strings like Solinco Outlast, Isospeed Pulse, Polystar turbo 15, and Genesis Twisted Razor at tensions ranging from 55-65lb. Guess what, all of these lose so much tension within an hour or two of hard hitting (4.0-4.5) that the racket becomes an unplayable rocket launcher. Big surprise with this racket, right? ;) So below are the strings that I am looking at trying out now. Which do you guys think has the best chance of holding up tension loss wise in the toy? I string with an electric constant pull tension head (Wise 2086) by the way.

Signum Pro Poly Megaforce 16
Babolat Revenge 16
Tourna Poly Big Hitter Blue Rough 16
Tourna Poly Big Hitter Blue 16 (is tension loss with this string about the same as the rough version?)

Thanks guys!

Obvious question...why haven't you tried 4g?

cluelessmoose 01-31-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7182870)
Obvious question...why haven't you tried 4g?

Being a college student I don't have much money to put into tennis strings at the moment. However, if the 4gs string really does last 3 times as long as alu power I may have to try a set.

JackB1 01-31-2013 02:09 PM

Anyone try Black Magic 15L?

quest01 01-31-2013 02:40 PM

Hey I also string with a wise tension head with constant pull and I tried Luxilon ALU Power on the 99s and it only lasted me like 5 hours. That's the first time I've ever snapped a poly and I'm coming from an APDGT. I'm also testing out some of the 4G stuff like the 16g and 15g. The only thing I'm concerned with is that I might generate a lot less spin with a 15g.

Doubles 01-31-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francis27 (Post 7182745)
Plasmas tension is very similar to 4g its basically a 4g but lower price its only $8

The only thing that similar is its ability to hold tension. SPPP is softer and has less spin potential than 4G.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse