Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   References (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Have not heard from seller since payment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453210)

ellipticality_224 01-31-2013 05:47 AM

Have not heard from seller since payment

I bought a racket from a user on this board, I will not reveal the username just yet, as he has a few good refs on the board and I dont want to taint those good refs just yet. Anyway, I payed the seller on monday morning and I got an email from the seller saying that the payment was received and he would be shipping the racket later on that day. Well, around 6 in the evening EST I emailed him asking if he got a chance to ship the racket off and he said "No, Im sorry, I couldnt find a box.", I was fine with it and didnt think anything of it, but that was the last email I received from him. Monday evening was the last time I heard from the seller. It is now thursday morning and I have not seen an email from him since. I find this to be a tad suspicious. The way that he maintained excellent communication before payment, but after I sent payment, he seemed to taper off and fall off the grid. How much longer should I wait to file a dispute with paypal? (I payed with a credit card so I should be able to get everything back if in fact I have been ripped off, but I dont think I have) and furthermore, how long should I wait to leave a bad ref with the username in it saying that I might have been scammed? And one last thing, If the racket DOES arrive here and he just did not use tracking, or maintain contact, should I leave a neutral ref or a negative ref?

Again, I am not concerned as of now, as it has been a little under three days, Im am just wanting to know what should be the course of action?

Thanks

ellipticality_224 01-31-2013 05:50 AM

Just FYI, the email quote "No, sorry I couldnt find a box." was shortened, the email wasnt that blunt. It was more along these lines "No, sorry I couldnt find a box and was going to ship it today, but I will make one and ship it out tomorrow!."

SteveI 01-31-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellipticality_224 (Post 7181817)
Just FYI, the email quote "No, sorry I couldnt find a box." was shortened, the email wasnt that blunt. It was more along these lines "No, sorry I couldnt find a box and was going to ship it today, but I will make one and ship it out tomorrow!."

Not everyone here has boxes to ship with and maybe has not done enough shipping to know to use the two pri mail boxes to make a racket box. He also might have a very busy work life... In my small town.. the PO is only open from 9 AM to 4 PM. If you have a 9-5 job... how do you get to the PO?
For us that have done many many deals.. we are old pros.. know all the ins and outs of shipping and have many boxes to use.. since we do deals all the time. I would relax a bit and drop the guy another e-mail just asking for shipping details.. Carrier, Service, ship date and tracking. If you have a full time job.. 2-3 kids.. etc. Making time to get to the PO or UPS store can be an issue. You used a CC and PP.. you are pretty safe.

If you do not get the frames... file a claim or turn your case over to FFH..:-)

Have a good one... BTW.. it is only a frame right? No one died??

Fearsome Forehand 01-31-2013 07:27 AM

Once again, we see how a silly lack of follow up communication (a very simple thing) has unnerved a buyer.

I think the buyer's concern is warranted. Most likely, the seller may have already shipped and neglected to tell the buyer (which is both stupid and inconsiderate.) Since the buyer was smart and paid via PP (hopefully not as a gift) and used his cc besides, if the seller can't prove delivery, the buyer will be refunded.

OP, you say the seller has good refs, that is in your favor. I'm not understanding why he can't take a few seconds and email you the shipping info.

If a few more days go by and no word and no racket, file a did not receive PP claim (or a PP dispute at least) and PP will contact him and ask him to prove delivery within 10 days. You are covered so don't sweat it. If the seller flakes, you have recourse.

As far as a reference, if the racket shows up and is okay, I would leave something like the racket was as described but shipping was somewhat slow and communication was bad/no tracking number was provided despite inquiries.

This is a similar scenario:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=452918

The no box excuse is sort of lame IMHO. Worst case, some bubble pack, one or two two plastic garbage bags and some tape will get it there. Or, take the racket to one of the many shipping stores and let them handle it. Walmart sells boxes. I am not aware of a box shortage.

Let us know how it works out.

ellipticality_224 01-31-2013 07:58 AM

To SteveI I have sent him two emails a day since then, normally one in the morning and one in the evening, so my communication is not lacking, you would think that the seller would at least maintain a good stream of contact until I have received the racket and approved it. Especially AFTER payment, I can understand this spotty communication before payment. I haven't heard from him still. Maybe this post will get his attention and he'll get back in touch with me to tell me he shipped the racket and just forgot to tell me. I just want a constant stream of communication. Will keep you updated.

ellipticality_224 01-31-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 7181983)
(hopefully not as a gift)

I do recall being asked to send payment as gift, but this may have been the other racket I bought the same day, which I respectfully declined(who ever it was that asked me). I sent extra money to both sellers to cover PP fees (I dont see the need because PP fees at most are a dollar or two, I just did it to make the sellers content) that racket with that TT User is going swimingly, he shipped it out the same day within hours of payment, and provided tracking as well. And responds to emails typically within a few hours. So, no I did not send money as gift, I will gladly send a few extra bucks if the seller desires it, to receive the EXACT amount of money the wanted for he racket. Hey, its worth it for the PP buyer protection, because if I recall sending as gift does not give you protection or the right to open a dispute.

SteveI 01-31-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellipticality_224 (Post 7182051)
To SteveI I have sent him two emails a day since then, normally one in the morning and one in the evening, so my communication is not lacking, you would think that the seller would at least maintain a good stream of contact until I have received the racket and approved it. Especially AFTER payment, I can understand this spotty communication before payment. I haven't heard from him still. Maybe this post will get his attention and he'll get back in touch with me to tell me he shipped the racket and just forgot to tell me. I just want a constant stream of communication. Will keep you updated.

He should have e-mailed you of course. Some folks are real good about it.. other not so much. It only takes a few seconds to do. I am sure you will get the frame based on his refs. Good luck.

ellipticality_224 01-31-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveI (Post 7182103)
He should have e-mailed you of course. Some folks are real good about it.. other not so much. It only takes a few seconds to do. I am sure you will get the frame based on his refs. Good luck.

I completely agree with you that it may be difficult to get to the PO with a 9-5 job. Im betting it will show up here in a day or two, the latest on monday. If it doesnt show up monday "by end of day" and still nothing from him I will be filing a dispute and getting my money back, as I have other potential sellers responding to my WTB post for the frames, and I could be buying their frames instead of wasting my time.

As FF said, Im at ease now that I know I am covered because of CC and PP. I am sure he will ship given his good refs. None the less, a neutral reference will be left, regarding that the racket was received in a timely manner, but communication was lacking.

I do believe that this experience will help me be a better seller when I do decide that I can handle selling frames here on TT (I am just 18). As a buyer I now know how unnerving it can be when you have sent out hard earned cash to a stranger and not hear from them or receive a tracking number. I have done several deals on Jeepforums.com, RCnitrotalk.com and CL, all of which were done face to face or put the items on the bay on buyitnow to have that sort of buyer protection, This is my first couple of deals without any sort of auction sight or face to face meeting was involved. I must say it is different. But as I said, I now know how I buyer feels when communication after payment is not present. Its can be nerve racking, especially if you have payed with funds from PP or sent as gift.

Fearsome Forehand 01-31-2013 08:46 AM

Most of the problems here have been with yutes. :) Is the seller a kid?

Not a fan of the gift thing. Too much downside risk for my taste.

Generally, the seller absorbs the PP fees and that should be reflected in his pricing unless he states otherwise up front. Always amazes me how cheap some people are.

I would say good sellers ship within 3 business days of PP payment. The super duper sellers ship business next day and will forward tracking info unprompted. I think it is common courtesy for a seller to advise a buyer of the shipping plan when payment is rendered. I will get it out this week, I will ship by Wednesday, etc. (It is also a good idea for the buyer to ask about the shipping scheme before he pays.) And then, once shipped, send a quick email, racket shipped, tracking number x, expect delivery y. Not so hard to do. Some people are simply clueless. :roll:

There are a couple of stickies at the top of the reference section that address most of the caveats and best practice issues. Not a bad idea to review them every now and then.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=303732

ellipticality_224 01-31-2013 08:57 AM

no, I know for a fact he is not a kid. I was told by another TT user, the guy I bought the other racket from at the same time, that he is an adult or at least over 25, and he also told me his occupation, which makes me wonder why he has been lacking in communication, as you say that anyone below 25 with few refs is suspect for bad deals.

And thank you for the comment :). I have my dumb moments. I look back at when I was 15 and think "wow I was so stupid then!" and Im sure when I turn thirty, I will look back to my age now and think "wow, I was so supid then!" I have been told that will happen by my grandpa. He looks back at when he was 60 and thinks "wow I was so stupid then!" and hes 80 now.

I have history of doing pretty stupid things more than the normal teenager that I learned from and I think they made me a better person now.But these are all just typed words on a forum, for all you know, I could be an ex con who is forty years old who just got out of prison, or I could be a 12 year old brat who is just saying these things to get people to think thats who I am.

ellipticality_224 01-31-2013 10:04 AM

UPDATE: Seller just emailed me saying that he dropped the package off at USPS yesterday. Apparently it is coming from Texas, so it should be here at the latest on monday, we shall see. I think my ad may have reminded him to contact me, or possibly to ship the racket. I still do not have a tracking number, so it will not be known until the racket gets here.

Rjtennis 01-31-2013 05:20 PM

He needs to provide you with the tracking number if it has shipped. You paid him and he should supply a tracking number.

ellipticality_224 01-31-2013 08:41 PM

UPDATE: Seller updated tracking info on pay pal, estimated delivery by monday. Communication is now back on track between the two of us. Seems as though it was just a little bit of gas in the digestive tract of this transaction.

If you like metaphors... lol :)

SteveI 02-01-2013 12:16 AM

Great news... Enjoy the frame