Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   stairclimbing as a fitness activity (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453216)

tennisenthusiast 01-31-2013 06:35 AM

stairclimbing as a fitness activity

Is stairclimbing an appropriate activity for someone who has low back problems? Does it put stress on lower back? What precautions should one take before starting stairclimbing - climbing 20 floors?

Is it a good activity to improve fitness and burn fat?

pvaudio 01-31-2013 06:43 AM

As far as the back problems, I can't help you there. It is, however, outstanding for fitness. There are very few activities which will get your heart going as quickly.

corners 01-31-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisenthusiast (Post 7181885)
Is stairclimbing an appropriate activity for someone who has low back problems? Does it put stress on lower back? What precautions should one take before starting stairclimbing - climbing 20 floors?

Are you talking running stairs or walking? If walking I wouldn't think it would be very stressful on your back at all, at least not going up. Running might be, but I find running up stairs to be very low-impact, you're kind of jumping continually upwards, pulling yourself with your legs almost and you never really land with a thud. If you're doing 20 flights you can walk to 15 and sprint at 3/4 speed for the last five. Then take the elevator down to avoid the pounding! Repeat.

tennisenthusiast 01-31-2013 07:24 AM

Thank you both for your suggestions.

At this moment, I am only talking about walking stairs and not running. I did notice that it is a great cardio workout and not even a treadmill can match that.

El Diablo 01-31-2013 08:36 AM

Going DOWN the stairs is more likely to stress your lower back, as there's a vertical impact trauma each time you stop down.

charliefedererer 01-31-2013 08:47 AM

Like any new activity, it is best to start out slowly, and gradually build up the time and intensity.
Your back will let you know if it will tolerate the stairclimbing, but its much more likely not to have problems if you don't overdo it at first.

(Did you ever get that book Pain Free, or start on some other back exercise program?)

tennisenthusiast 01-31-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliefedererer (Post 7182195)
Like any new activity, it is best to start out slowly, and gradually build up the time and intensity.
Your back will let you know if it will tolerate the stairclimbing, but its much more likely not to have problems if you don't overdo it at first.

(Did you ever get that book Pain Free, or start on some other back exercise program?)

Hi Charliefedererer - I did get the book Pain Free -- did the exercises for few days but couldn't continue them anymore due to two reasons:

1. Lack of instant gratification
Being a human being, I am so used to instant gratifications. Did those exercises for few days, did not notice any improvement and gave up on them.

2. Lack of motivation

charliefedererer 01-31-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisenthusiast (Post 7182248)
Hi Charliefedererer - I did get the book Pain Free -- did the exercises for few days but couldn't continue them anymore due to two reasons:

1. Lack of instant gratification
Being a human being, I am so used to instant gratifications. Did those exercises for few days, did not notice any improvement and gave up on them.

2. Lack of motivation

Yeah, its hard to stay on track without seeing at least some improvement.

But if weak muscles are the root cause of your low back pain, as it is in most, having a whole lifetime of back problems to look forward to is not a pleasant thought.

Any chance of some renewed interest for at least a time, to "get over the hump" and start to see some improvement?

LuckyR 01-31-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisenthusiast (Post 7181885)

No, yes, don't do it you have back problems and yes it is a reasonable one.

tennisenthusiast 02-01-2013 11:05 AM

I did 11 floors past couple of days and the next day my quads were sore which is a good sign.

Today, I climbed from 8th floor to 40th floor....32 floors....(woo hoo!) in 15 minutes. I am 33 yrs old, wow, time flies fast.

Need to wait till tomorrow to see how my body reacts to today's activity.

LeeD 02-01-2013 11:09 AM

Good stuff.
For football training back in high school, we jogged over to the stairways on 14th and QuintaraSt., where they filmed the part in DirtyHarry of the bad guy hijacking the school bus, ran up the 4 flights of app 40 each, back down, and once up up and down to jog back to 24th and Quintara where the school is located.
Coach always preached...DO NOT BEND OVER while climbing the stairs, and WALK down.

LeeD 02-01-2013 11:11 AM

Oh...
T en....
One of the good tests for conditioning is the PtReyesLighthouse stairs out there in the West. 330, and if you can run them without stopping, I'd say you're pretty fit....or pretty determined anyways. I could, 6 years ago.

BeHappy 02-01-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Diablo (Post 7182154)
Going DOWN the stairs is more likely to stress your lower back, as there's a vertical impact trauma each time you stop down.

Running at breakneck speed down the stairs is also a good way to end up in a coma.

tennisenthusiast 02-01-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliefedererer (Post 7182312)
Yeah, its hard to stay on track without seeing at least some improvement.

But if weak muscles are the root cause of your low back pain, as it is in most, having a whole lifetime of back problems to look forward to is not a pleasant thought.

Any chance of some renewed interest for at least a time, to "get over the hump" and start to see some improvement?

Thanks for your concern Charliefederer. I am slowly making progress...going to chiropractor once a month which is helping. Revisited my ortho last week and he suggested that I go to physical therapy which I plan to start next week.

Tennis + Warm weather is what is keeping me motivated and I am looking forward to Spring since I am in central US!

LeeD 02-01-2013 11:53 AM

That back.
Couple of decades ago, I had chronic soreness in the lower back.
Layed on a sofa, did 30 shoulder raises twice a day, did the trick.
Took only a couple of weeks, haven't had that lower back problem since.

tennisenthusiast 02-01-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeHappy (Post 7184812)
Running at breakneck speed down the stairs is also a good way to end up in a coma.

Thanks for the tip. I am taking elevator back down. :)

LeeD 02-01-2013 11:54 AM

One of the DB's on our team, BenjaminBrooks, ran down the stairs FOUR at a time.
He played or 3 years.

tennisenthusiast 02-01-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7184771)
Good stuff.
For football training back in high school, we jogged over to the stairways on 14th and QuintaraSt., where they filmed the part in DirtyHarry of the bad guy hijacking the school bus, ran up the 4 flights of app 40 each, back down, and once up up and down to jog back to 24th and Quintara where the school is located.
Coach always preached...DO NOT BEND OVER while climbing the stairs, and WALK down.

Can you explain this DO NOT BEND OVER? More like slouching forward while climbing?

LeeD 02-01-2013 12:10 PM

I GUESS that's what CoachPalmer meant. JimPalmer, ex 49'ers safety, 6'2" and by the time a coach, 270 lbs.
Keep upright posture, was what he preached.

USS Tang 02-01-2013 12:40 PM

OK, anyone, please tell me what's wrong with me. Walking down the stairs: no problem. Walking up the stairs: a pain behind my knee at the top of the calf and a little toward the outside (lateral side) part of the leg. Would that be the lateral cruciate ligament or simply a muscle strain?