Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Has anyone tried Gamma Leather Grips? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453225)

robbo1970 01-31-2013 07:48 AM

Has anyone tried Gamma Leather Grips?
 
As the title asks......

I currently use Wilson leather grips, but would like an alternative that is a bit easier to come by at a slightly cheaper price.

I understand the Head grips are almost identical to Wilson, but I was wondering about the Gamma leather grips? Does anyone know the thickness? I know Wilson is 1.6mm.

I always use an overgrip so surface tackiness is not an issue.

Any feedback is greatly received. Thanks.

struggle 01-31-2013 08:04 AM

I have not, but I use leather as you do....as a solid base for an overgrip. I have been happy with the TW leather grips.

I use the wider/thicker (25mm x 1.5mm). I see that the Gamma is about the same price and it appears to be about the same width, don't know about thickness.

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-31-2013 09:02 AM

So if you use an overgrip (I do too). Why does the leather ever need to be replaced? It never sees light!

struggle 01-31-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7182258)
So if you use an overgrip (I do too). Why does the leather ever need to be replaced? It never sees light!

while i see your point, leather does pack down over time (thinner) just as any grip does. maybe this is the issue.

yes, otherwise...they do last along time.

also, if one buys some new rackets, they may need some new leather grips...

Alex78 01-31-2013 09:48 AM

I put Gamma leather on my new IG Rad Pros, and I also use an overgrip on top. - Just didn't want to use the synthetic leather grip that it comes with. But to be honest, I don't really care about weight, balance etc... So I don't even know how heavy etc. it is.
I've been using the following set ups recently, and rather unsystematically:
Head LM Rad MP with Head Hydrosorb + overgrip
Head LM Rad MP with Head Leather + overgrip
Head MG Rad Pro with Hydrosorb + overgrip
Head IG Rad Pro with Gamma Leather + overgrip
And I've ordered a Völkl C10 Pro, which I'll be using with the original grip + overgrip.
- While I'm bound to run "hot" or "cold" on the court, I never blame it on the set up I'm using. In fact, I'd even say that I'm getting better as a general trend, but that's mainly a practice effect. I'm know I'm not gonna win Wimbledon, but I'm getting so much out of tennis now. The most important thing to me is that it is a lot of fun using different set ups.
Oh, and as an answer to the original question: Yes, I like the Gamma leather grip :wink:

dode 01-31-2013 09:54 AM

I like the Gamma leather grips as well, definitely better than the TW branded ones. I was not impressed with those as much as others have been.

John

struggle 01-31-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dode (Post 7182407)
I like the Gamma leather grips as well, definitely better than the TW branded ones. I was not impressed with those as much as others have been.

John

Good to know. Which TW version (size/thickness) are you comparing to the Gamma?

thx.

robbo1970 02-02-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7182258)
So if you use an overgrip (I do too). Why does the leather ever need to be replaced? It never sees light!

Because I have more than one of the same racket and the Wilson leather grip is not as easy to come by, whereas the Gamma is more accessible and cheaper.

Well....I got one and I really like it. Feels good, easy to wrap and a very nice colour (similar colour to the Dunlop leather). It's about the same thickness as the Wilson too.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rogael Naderer 02-07-2013 02:17 AM

I used these for a while, they wrap nicely but were too thick for my needs, I'm using Babolat now which are thickeness I need.

robbo1970 02-07-2013 04:29 AM

Yes they do wrap very nicely and unlike the Wilson grips, the colour does not bleed out.

I would say they are maybe 1.6mm thick, the same as the Wilson, which is perfect me (I didnt want to go thinner on my grip size).

All in all I am really pleased with the Gamma leather. Easy to fit, great feel, perfect thickness to replicate stock grip and looks great too. I use an overgrip though...to just show the bare leather grip would be tennis pornography...just looks too good on my Bio 300.

Rogael Naderer 02-07-2013 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbo1970 (Post 7197407)
Yes they do wrap very nicely and unlike the Wilson grips, the colour does not bleed out.

I would say they are maybe 1.6mm thick, the same as the Wilson, which is perfect me (I didnt want to go thinner on my grip size).

All in all I am really pleased with the Gamma leather. Easy to fit, great feel, perfect thickness to replicate stock grip and looks great too. I use an overgrip though...to just show the bare leather grip would be tennis pornography...just looks too good on my Bio 300.


Haha, the Gammas were clearly not contrsucted for use on their own, way too slippery. Perfect under an OG though.

robbo1970 02-07-2013 05:08 AM

I find that a tiny bit of basic olive oil, wiped over the leather actually creates a very nice surface with decent traction......but I would always use an overgrip anyway.

The_Question 02-07-2013 05:11 PM

Personal experience with Gamma leather is stiff and very thick, not soft as wilson's...

robbo1970 02-08-2013 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Question (Post 7198832)
Personal experience with Gamma leather is stiff and very thick, not soft as wilson's...

I would say it is about the same thickness as Wilson, but it is marketed as being firm and is true to that. I suspect the firmness gives the impression of feeling thicker.

Comparing the two, if you have very sensitive hands you will feel a difference. The Wilson is narrower and so will have a different feel with closer wraps/overlaps.

I think the quality of leather on the Gamma is better and I prefer it, having tried both. But its all a personal preference thing, both are good.

Spin-A-Lot 02-08-2013 01:41 PM

I just installed a Gamma leather grip on my i.Prestige Mid..it feels better than the leather grips on my K90 or Speed Pro...but then again, the leather grips on those have been around for a long time :)

robbo1970 02-11-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spin-A-Lot (Post 7200629)
I just installed a Gamma leather grip on my i.Prestige Mid..it feels better than the leather grips on my K90 or Speed Pro...but then again, the leather grips on those have been around for a long time :)

Considering its cheaper than some of the others, I think the Gamma is surprisingly good. Certainly seems very good quality.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse