Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Suggested String Tension Yonex R-22 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453240)

deco0028 01-31-2013 08:46 AM

Suggested String Tension Yonex R-22
 
Hi all
Picked up a Yonex R-22 some weeks back, it had an old 1-piece string job on it. They were syn gut, and measured tension using a Tourna Stringmeter was in the low 40s to high 30s. That would suggest a reference tension of somewhere in mid 40s.
Racquet played great then.

I snapped the strings almost 2 weeks ago, and restrung it with Klip Legend 16G natural gut mains at 50 lbs, with Weiss Cannon Silverstring 1.25mm crosses at 47lbs.
The racquet feels OK, but the sweet spot has become much smaller, and topspin is noticeably less.
For those that have had experience with this racquet, do you have any suggestions? I was lucky in that I had used the stringmeter on it before the strings broke, so I suspect the racquet performs better at lowish tensions to open up the sweetspot. I think a lower cross-string tension with perhaps a different string may be needed in this racquet.
What do you think?
Thanks

ctromano 01-31-2013 11:20 AM

stick with syn gut
 
your best bet is to stick to the old syn guts, like prince syn gut original or gosen syn gut or even wilson syn... these older racs like the old syn. guts, as far as tenison, i'd go with 56-58lbs. I use the r-22, I tried to use the multi-stuff and lux's of the world, never played the same way untill I put syn gut in there, I think Prince syn. gut original 17g in gold is your best bet. :)

deco0028 01-31-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctromano (Post 7182622)
your best bet is to stick to the old syn guts, like prince syn gut original or gosen syn gut or even wilson syn... these older racs like the old syn. guts, as far as tenison, i'd go with 56-58lbs. I use the r-22, I tried to use the multi-stuff and lux's of the world, never played the same way untill I put syn gut in there, I think Prince syn. gut original 17g in gold is your best bet. :)

I think you are right. The feel before was so much better than the NG/poly hybrid. Maybe I will cut the crosses out and replace with syn gut and see how NG/syn gut hybrid works, and report back.
Cheers

esgee48 01-31-2013 04:57 PM

The R22 had an initial recommended tension between 55-60 pounds. That was in the days when makers recommended higher tensions. Today the makers recommend tensions at least 5 pounds lower.

LeeD 01-31-2013 05:29 PM

Preference for string tension is personal.
A lower average for pros is around 50, only new string jobs.
Guys with slower, shorter strokes can use lower tension.
What works for one person can be poison for another.

AlfaAce 01-31-2013 07:39 PM

I just restrung both of my R-22s with 100% 17G Wilson NG at 55# (will settle to about 50# in a few hours of hitting). Works great for me.

coachrick 01-31-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deco0028 (Post 7182859)
I think you are right. The feel before was so much better than the NG/poly hybrid. Maybe I will cut the crosses out and replace with syn gut and see how NG/syn gut hybrid works, and report back.
Cheers

You could try a fun multi as a cross to maximize the feel with the nat gut. Do be very careful if you are going to replace only the crosses. The 'corners' of the R-22 don't take kindly to too much 'breathing' on the machine.
When I repped YY back in the mid-80s, we also carried Babolat. We had some pretty sweet-playing demos with all that VS on hand :) .

deco0028 01-31-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachrick (Post 7183766)
You could try a fun multi as a cross to maximize the feel with the nat gut. Do be very careful if you are going to replace only the crosses. The 'corners' of the R-22 don't take kindly to too much 'breathing' on the machine.
When I repped YY back in the mid-80s, we also carried Babolat. We had some pretty sweet-playing demos with all that VS on hand :) .

Hi
Thanks. I may try some Alpha 2000 or Reaction.
Cheers

coachrick 01-31-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esgee48 (Post 7183323)
The R22 had an initial recommended tension between 55-60 pounds. That was in the days when makers recommended higher tensions. Today the makers recommend tensions at least 5 pounds lower.

Yonex was all over the map with string tensions...lower tensions for lighter rackets(generally makes sense) and the oft-recommended -5# for the crosses. I had one of the best wins of my life with an R-10 strung with VS Declasse(15L) @ 50#. I thought it was a marshmallow at first; but I could really do some 'stuff' with that racket ;) .

deco0028 02-04-2013 08:24 PM

Feedback: Cut out the WeissCannon SS crosses(were at 47lbs), and left the Klip Legend 16G mains at 50 lbs.
Replaced crosses with 16G Wilson Extreme syn gut, and the racquet opened up, with much better spin and larger sweetspot. Despite the thicker crosses compared with before, the drop in tension from 47 to 45 lbs really helped.
I think as it loses even more tension, the topspin will improve.

Roadway 02-12-2013 07:52 PM

i strung my R10 at 60 lbs, but i still feel it is too springy and somewhat less of control. perhaps the string pattern is too open. otherwise the hoop is compressed to be narrower than the original about 4 mm, i am afraid of it cracking, so i never go higher than 60 lbs.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse