Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Best racket for 11 year old boy ith wrist problems (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453252)

dannythomas 01-31-2013 09:48 AM

Best racket for 11 year old with wrist problems

My daughter currently uses a Wilson Pro Staff 6-1 100 " but she is getting continual wrist issues even though she really likes the racket. I have tried stringing it with natural gut with loose tension but it makes no difference . She has had the injury checked out and it is just inflammation no break. She has rested it a number of times but every time she hits it comes back. She hits with spin and comes to the net . Her coach doesn't think it's a technical issue with her strokes.
I m confused if she should change rackets and if so go heavier or lighter, head light or heavy and stiff or flexible. Any ideas or suggested rackets ? I believe the pro staff is about 10.7 strung.

ga tennis 01-31-2013 06:08 PM

Maybe try a heavier racket. At 11 the boys are hitting pretty big balls maybe 10oz is just too light. Im no expert.... Maybe pro tour will see this question he's a racket guru.

omega4 01-31-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga tennis (Post 7183445)
Maybe try a heavier racket. At 11 the boys are hitting pretty big balls maybe 10oz is just too light. Im no expert.... Maybe pro tour will see this question he's a racket guru.

I would think a heavier racquet would only tire his wrist out after repeated use and make the wrist even more prone to injury.

Pro_Tour_630 01-31-2013 07:49 PM

Are you sure you are talking about a son not a daughter :confused: even if you use 16g NG which I suspect you are it may be harsh, I would recommend 17g or even18g multi at low biphase comes to mind . We have a pro that uses a ps6.1 100 and he has had inflammation above his wrist, he rested it for two weeks. She needs rest IMO and 17g soft multi at 40lbs for one month if you insist on playing her. Good luck. I like the new aero lite, plays softer than stated , use soft replacement and add 10g to the handle to make I more HL since she likes coming to net :)

dannythomas 01-31-2013 08:48 PM

You are too sharp PT. there I was trying to be anonymous ! Ok do you think the ps 6.1 is contributing to the issue ? I thought previously you said the aero is too stiff. I have edited the post now !

Also, I know racquets like the Pro Kennex range and the Head Microgel are supposed to be good for arm protection. Would they also help with a wrist problem ?

AYone 02-01-2013 04:02 AM

Your daughter may fall into the minority of people that don't react well to the ampli-feel. Does her hand get a numbing sensation too? There are a few threads on this so I won't belabor the point. But see how she does with a different, non-Wilson racket. Although the Aero is marked as a stiff racket, it's core-tex technology rids all the vibration IMO. Also try some wrist supports. I use one from McDavid and love it.

Pro_Tour_630 02-01-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannythomas (Post 7183670)
You are too sharp PT. there I was trying to be anonymous ! Ok do you think the ps 6.1 is contributing to the issue ? I thought previously you said the aero is too stiff. I have edited the post now !

Also, I know racquets like the Pro Kennex range and the Head Microgel are supposed to be good for arm protection. Would they also help with a wrist problem ?

Wrist problems most of the time are from overuse,

Hard to tell exactly if ps 6.1 100 is the culprit , it is 65 RDC but has basalt to dampen shock. Is her grip the correct grip size? sometimes too big of a grip is not good and too small of a grip as well. Does she use wristy strokes? are you blasting volleys at her most of the time to improve her net game? Does she have the standard replacement grip that came with the frame? get her a soft replacement from volkl, not leather of course, use a thicker overgrip, use volkl dampener which dampens the string/shock very well. Like I said the strings even at 55 lbs would be harsh for an 12 year old girl if they were 16g even NG 16g, I would recommend 18g biphase at 45lbs, rest for a week and give it a try, if problems persist change frame go heavier 330g more head light 31cm more flex under 60, good luck

WoodIndoors 02-01-2013 08:42 AM

================

dannythomas 02-01-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro_Tour_630 (Post 7183992)
Wrist problems most of the time are from overuse,

Hard to tell exactly if ps 6.1 100 is the culprit , it is 65 RDC but has basalt to dampen shock. Is her grip the correct grip size? sometimes too big of a grip is not good and too small of a grip as well. Does she use wristy strokes? are you blasting volleys at her most of the time to improve her net game? Does she have the standard replacement grip that came with the frame? get her a soft replacement from volkl, not leather of course, use a thicker overgrip, use volkl dampener which dampens the string/shock very well. Like I said the strings even at 55 lbs would be harsh for an 12 year old girl if they were 16g even NG 16g, I would recommend 18g biphase at 45lbs, rest for a week and give it a try, if problems persist change frame go heavier 330g more head light 31cm more flex under 60, good luck

Thank you again Pro Tour. Funnily enough her coach let her play with his Aero Pro Drive French Open today and she didn't complain once about her wrist. Of course the fact that it was a limited edition " French Open " racquet gave her a buzz . I have no idea if this could be a long term solution ( there are a few still around ) and it was strung with Pro Hurricane Tour at mid tension. I did notice that she was having to work less hard to generate pace with the heavier racquet
Both on ground strokes and serve. It didnt seem to adversely effect her volleys or overheads either. I believe the strung weight is 320 which is way heavier than the aero pro team she used to use before the Wilson. He suggested doing a cross string with natural gut and the Hurricane at the lower end of the tension range.
What do you think ? It is of course much stiffer than you suggested and she is certainly going to feel special playing with it so there may be a placebo effect !
Out of all the questions you asked I think she should step up from a 1 size to a 2 size grip ( in fact she played with a 3 today but that may be 1 step too far.

Pro_Tour_630 02-01-2013 07:21 PM

yes 2 is better especially if she uses an overgrip, the french open aero is not as nice as the new 2013 aero though, not sure about NG cross, do not like it. if you insist NG go with 18g if you can find it

klu375 02-01-2013 08:32 PM

Do not use Pro Hurricane Tour. Look at Pro Hurricane 17 - much softer string.

dannythomas 02-02-2013 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro_Tour_630 (Post 7185714)
yes 2 is better especially if she uses an overgrip, the french open aero is not as nice as the new 2013 aero though, not sure about NG cross, do not like it. if you insist NG go with 18g if you can find it

Just 1 more question on this PT ( no more I promise ! ) i ran TW racquet finder search using your suggested criteria and the only racquet that checked nearly all the boxes is the Head Radical Microgel. Since I know this is also highly recommended as being arm friendly I wonder what you think of it. It is also very inexpensive at $90 which I guess means it is being discontinued. It will need a restring since it comes with Head Sonic Pro.
Thanks for your advice on this. Kids will be kids and I can already tell that she would be happy to show off an Aeropro French open even if the new Aeropro is a little better !

dannythomas 02-02-2013 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klu375 (Post 7185854)
Do not use Pro Hurricane Tour. Look at Pro Hurricane 17 - much softer string.

Thank you Klu for that. I will take your advice

Pro_Tour_630 02-02-2013 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannythomas (Post 7186200)
Just 1 more question on this PT ( no more I promise ! ) i ran TW racquet finder search using your suggested criteria and the only racquet that checked nearly all the boxes is the Head Radical Microgel. Since I know this is also highly recommended as being arm friendly I wonder what you think of it. It is also very inexpensive at $90 which I guess means it is being discontinued. It will need a restring since it comes with Head Sonic Pro.
Thanks for your advice on this. Kids will be kids and I can already tell that she would be happy to show off an Aeropro French open even if the new Aeropro is a little better !

The head microgel radical mp is 18X20 use very thin string to get more pop, the sonic pro that comes with it is not bad, try it out and then cut it out, I also like the microgel extreme mp

dannythomas 02-05-2013 11:15 AM

Wow ! I just tried out a Head Microgel Radical MP myself and on EVERY shot there was excess vibration and some pain in the wrist. And I dont even have wrist problems. There is no way I can let my daughter play with it right now . It may be great for tennis elbow and other arm problems but for a wrist problem ... I dont think so .
Anyway she had a clear MRI scan so she is starting to get used to the Aeropro French Open and says it feels better though she still has some pain on impact with forehand volleys. She did until less than a year ago play with the Areopro Team and before that the aeropro lite and she never used to have wrist problems so I guess this racquet is a natural progression for her . The physical therapist says the volley issue will soon disappear as everything else has. If it doesnt then she will have to rest it again ... Fitness only until it is 100 %
For now we have strung it with Klip Legend and Hurricane 17 loose at 52. If the racquet is lacking in control for her we can do a higher tension once her wrist is 100 %.
PT i hope we are on the right track ?

sureshs 02-05-2013 11:26 AM

Try Wilson Shockshield grip

Chemist 02-05-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannythomas (Post 7182383)
My daughter currently uses a Wilson Pro Staff 6-1 100 " but she is getting continual wrist issues even though she really likes the racket. I have tried stringing it with natural gut with loose tension but it makes no difference . She has had the injury checked out and it is just inflammation no break. She has rested it a number of times but every time she hits it comes back. She hits with spin and comes to the net . Her coach doesn't think it's a technical issue with her strokes.
I m confused if she should change rackets and if so go heavier or lighter, head light or heavy and stiff or flexible. Any ideas or suggested rackets ? I believe the pro staff is about 10.7 strung.

I have a feeling her racket is not the major cause for her wrist pain. She might have a weak wrist and would need to strengthen her wrist with tubes or weights. Or her mechanics is not completely ideal. You may want to have another coach look at her mechanics when she volleys.

My son was complaining about pain in his wrist when he volleyed last summer. No wrist pain when he did everything else on the court. His coaches never said anything about his volley mechanics for years! So, I started my own investigation. This was what I found - when he volleyed, his racket and his forearm was forming an angle around 150 degrees. When I looked at pros in slow motion, the angle between the racket and forearm is usually maintained and it is rarely over 120 degrees. The wrist would be less stressed when volleying heavy passing shots if the racket is held more naturally. After he corrected the mechanics, his wrist paint disappeared and moreover, he could hit volley with more control and penetration. BTW quick feet, proper court positioning, and good anticipation would also minimize the situations that one has to stretch out to volley passing shots when the wrist is mostly stressed. Just hope it helps:)

Number1Coach 02-05-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannythomas (Post 7182383)

Danny give her some time off til the wrist is not hurting then start with a light weightlifing program then slowly increase it to and intense level but keep the weights lite and this will more then likely get rid of te problem , best to you and your girl

dannythomas 02-05-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 7193636)
Danny give her some time off til the wrist is not hurting then start with a light weightlifing program then slowly increase it to and intense level but keep the weights lite and this will more then likely get rid of te problem , best to you and your girl

Good advice Number 1 she has rested it a few times and it seemed to be better but it is worth doing it again. She will get super fit in the meantime with all the fitness and strength training while she is not hitting !! But do you think that if it has come down now to only hurting her on forehand volleys ( before it hurt her on everything except backhand ) there is any harm in her practicing her other strokes where she has no pain ? But no matches only working with her coach ? I dont mind her only doing fitness but she will !

dannythomas 02-05-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemist (Post 7193629)
I have a feeling her racket is not the major cause for her wrist pain. She might have a weak wrist and would need to strengthen her wrist with tubes or weights. Or her mechanics is not completely ideal. You may want to have another coach look at her mechanics when she volleys.

My son was complaining about pain in his wrist when he volleyed last summer. No wrist pain when he did everything else on the court. His coaches never said anything about his volley mechanics for years! So, I started my own investigation. This was what I found - when he volleyed, his racket and his forearm was forming an angle around 150 degrees. When I looked at pros in slow motion, the angle between the racket and forearm is usually maintained and it is rarely over 120 degrees. The wrist would be less stressed when volleying heavy passing shots if the racket is held more naturally. After he corrected the mechanics, his wrist paint disappeared and moreover, he could hit volley with more control and penetration. BTW quick feet, proper court positioning, and good anticipation would also minimize the situations that one has to stretch out to volley passing shots when the wrist is mostly stressed. Just hope it helps:)

Agreed. Her issue is more poor footwork than technique. It's pretty clear that when she is lazy with footwork in practice she can be late with her strokes. Don't really know a quick fix answer , her coach gives her movement drills every day . So all we can do is keep her working on that and give her the best racquet protection we can and keep her doing strength training for her wrist and the rest of her body.
The issue is a little different from your son because it was at first pain on forehand, serve , forehand volleys and overheads. Now it is down to forehand volleys only so it's clearly getting better. But I agree that a combination of sloppy footwork and growing too quickly without enough strength training may be more responsible than the racquet. But if she plays with a racquet that is too light for her that doesn't help and the grip size was too small for her.
We have rectified the racquet side so now its up to her to work on her feet !