Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Wilson BLX PS 6.1 90 vs Dunlop 4D 100 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453255)

jacp 01-31-2013 09:53 AM

Wilson BLX PS 6.1 90 vs Dunlop 4D 100

Hello everybody,
I will appreciate you thoughts on both racquets. Has anybody played both back to back?
I have both and I am in process of deciding which to make #1 and buy more of.
Dunlop is freshly strung with Tonic+(BT) 16@57.
Wilson still has fairly chewed-up TF X1@52 (waiting to break, to use Tonic+ 16@50).
Wilson is stock, Dunlop has 2&2g lead at 3&9 and overgrip=344g, 6HL (thinking of adding 6g to hadle).
I am flat hitter, 1HBKH.
Thanks
Jack

season25 01-31-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacp (Post 7182400)
Hello everybody,
I will appreciate you thoughts on both racquets. Has anybody played both back to back?
I have both and I am in process of deciding which to make #1 and buy more of.
Dunlop is freshly strung with Tonic+(BT) 16@57.
Wilson still has fairly chewed-up TF X1@52 (waiting to break, to use Tonic+ 16@50).
Wilson is stock, Dunlop has 2&2g lead at 3&9 and overgrip=344g, 6HL (thinking of adding 6g to hadle).
I am flat hitter, 1HBKH.
Thanks
Jack

I've played with both. And 4D 100 is actually my stick of choice sine 2010 and I use it with 1,5 g of lead on 3&9. Gives far more stability and some power, specially on the returns when I just block the ball with my bkh slice.
Both racquets have quite a muted feel IMO. I fell that the Dunlop has a slightly bigger sweet spot and is far more maneuverable. In stock Wilson seems to be more stable and that's why I've added some lead. Solves the problem. You can surely hit bigger with the PS, but Dunlop is just easier to play with. Spin generation is quite the same I think. Both racquets are great for serving, but the Dunlop is the best racquet for volleys I have ever used.
I really like the plow that Wilson offer on my forehand (long swing, eastern grip), unfortunetly I can't get the same effort with the Dunlop. Dunlop great for 2HBH even though I mostly use my 1BKH slice. Overall I just find the Dunlop to be much easier to play, with the low mass (specially on my forehand) beeing the only downside. Just tiny bit more plow would be great.
I string my with Polystar Turbo mains and Cannon Explosive crosses, 52/54 lbs.

jacp 01-31-2013 11:18 AM

Thanx season25.
Wouldn't addition of lead in upper hoop and same amount in handle increase plow?
I am thinking of basically matching weight and HL of Dunlop to Wilson.
Am I on right track.
Jack

NLBwell 01-31-2013 11:23 AM

If you are stringing the Dunlop at 57, why are you planning to string the Wilson at 50? Are you not happy with the tension on the Dunlop?

jacp 01-31-2013 12:27 PM

I am going by racquet recommended range: 55-65 for Dunlop, 50-60 for Wilson.
Dunlop is new, so it is first stringing. 1st session feel stiff but it is loosening now.
In WIlson TF X1 felt very stiff at 52 for many weeks. I am stopping to use TF X1. I like ball getting pocketed and cannot wait weeks untill feel is there (when string starts to fry). It takes long because I hit flat, on the rise.
I am opened for suggestions.
Thanx
Jack

season25 01-31-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacp (Post 7182615)
Thanx season25.
Wouldn't addition of lead in upper hoop and same amount in handle increase plow?
I am thinking of basically matching weight and HL of Dunlop to Wilson.
Am I on right track.
Jack

That's pretty much what I've tried to do (leather grip was an extra 12 grams
+ 10 grams around the head), but then I felt the stick being very sluggish and the sweet spot smaller. Don't know why that is. I've ended up with the weight of around 355, but with that weight the stick wasn't as maneuverable as the 6.1. The feel of the racquet also changed and I didn't like it. To me it's just not the same having that mass distribution equally all over the frame (I mean stock) comparing to adding some ''here and there''.
At the minute it's 340 with a Wilson Hybrid grip, an Wilson pro overgrip
and 3 grams of lead.
Anyway I'm really curious what You ae going to end up with Jack:)
Bart

jacp 02-01-2013 05:56 PM

Hi season25
I will experiment a bit with Dunlop weight and balance.
Definitely will let you know.
Thanx
Jack