Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Will Gut Really Make a Difference? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453257)

USS Tang 01-31-2013 10:10 AM

Will Gut Really Make a Difference?

For me (67 years old, 4.5 NTRP, national ranking at 65+ level) who for three decades has played with synthetic gut. I'm not a big hitter or a topspin-meister, just an all-courter with slice groundstrokes and a reasonably good volley. Will natural gut add anything to my game?

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-31-2013 10:53 AM

Gut don't discriminate on style of play.

WileyCoyote 01-31-2013 11:01 AM

Short answer: Yes.

If nothing else, it will add an incredible feel and comfort when you hit the ball correctly.

Read Mikeler's thread on multis where he describes the standard by which his multis are judged.

And if you are not a string breaker, it will likely last longer than what you play with now. Especially if you combine it with with a high quality poly like 4G in the crosses it will feel even better and you will not have to straighten strings anymore because they snap back into place.

Your mileage may vary, batteries not included.

Harry

NLBwell 01-31-2013 11:40 AM

Full Gut - Feel and power and some additional spin. String higher tension than your syngut.
For even more spin, gut with poly crosses. However, be aware that when the poly loosens up and/or goes dead after some number of hours, it can become uncontrollable. If you have or are a good trusted stringer you can restring the crosses only to extend the gut's life.

slowfox 01-31-2013 01:10 PM

When I do natural gut I get more spin than syn gut. Heck, more power and feel too. Thing is, for me, I like that crisp crackly feel of syn gut. But playability is definitely natural gut's big advantage.

Lambsscroll 01-31-2013 02:47 PM

Feel is what you'll probably get from gut. Feel for me adds consistency and creativity.

McLovin 01-31-2013 04:14 PM

The only way to answer your question honestly is to do the following (assuming you have two frames that are identical):
  • String one with your regular Synthetic
  • String the other with Natural Gut
  • Bring both racquets to the baseline with you and, without looking at the stringbed, randomly grab one.
  • Hit with that one for a few minutes, then grab the other (again try not to look at the stringbed).
After hitting for a few minutes, if you can tell the difference, determine which one you liked better, and you have your answer.

It also helps if you put brand new, identical overgrips on both. This way you won't know by the color or feel of the grip.

rodrigoamaral 01-31-2013 04:16 PM

I would go ahead and try it and make direct comparison on the various components of your game and judge for yourself whether it is a wise investment or not.. To answer your question, yes it will make a difference!

ultradr 01-31-2013 04:31 PM

Single best investment in tennis equipment in my life.

netguy 01-31-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 7183248)
The only way to answer your question honestly is to do the following (assuming you have two frames that are identical):
  • String one with your regular Synthetic
  • String the other with Natural Gut
  • Bring both racquets to the baseline with you and, without looking at the stringbed, randomly grab one.
  • Hit with that one for a few minutes, then grab the other (again try not to look at the stringbed).
After hitting for a few minutes, if you can tell the difference, determine which one you liked better, and you have your answer.

It also helps if you put brand new, identical overgrips on both. This way you won't know by the color or feel of the grip.

Good advice!

lcalamar 01-31-2013 08:25 PM

yes. makes me regret trying everything else. should have just gone to gut. better in EVERY way

sansaephanh 02-01-2013 02:05 AM

I'm definitely not the best player, but i've hit gut/alu rough vs black magic and it felt the same to me lol. Gut had a teeny more pop and a little better feedback, but both nice and soft with plenty of spin and decent power. But overall it felt the same. Thats just me. Two different rackets, two different tensions, if it helps.

Lambsscroll 02-01-2013 06:41 AM

Do you want to be asking this question 13 years from now?

mikeler 02-01-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote (Post 7182565)
Short answer: Yes.

If nothing else, it will add an incredible feel and comfort when you hit the ball correctly.

Read Mikeler's thread on multis where he describes the standard by which his multis are judged.

And if you are not a string breaker, it will likely last longer than what you play with now. Especially if you combine it with with a high quality poly like 4G in the crosses it will feel even better and you will not have to straighten strings anymore because they snap back into place.

Your mileage may vary, batteries not included.

Harry

Also note I did not say I liked natural gut the best versus all the multis I've tried. It just has too much pop for me.

luvforty 02-01-2013 06:56 AM

this is a $50 question - the cost of actually trying it.

rolliges 02-01-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultradr (Post 7183281)
Single best investment in tennis equipment in my life.

We have a winner!

ultradr 02-01-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7184212)
Also note I did not say I liked natural gut the best versus all the multis I've tried. It just has too much pop for me.

Have you given enough time to get familiar with it?

For me, it took 30+ hours of playing time, 20% higher then nylon tension,
until I finally connected to the beef intestines.:)

Once I got connected, I've got a few zoning experiences next couple of weeks,
and next 1 or 2 year my shot productions have made a quantum leap,
especially my 1 handed backhand.

Cost-wise, it worked out ideally for my 18x20 stringbed, had 3x4 times
longer playability life.

Poly makes me win more but hurted my wrist. So NG since then.

scotus 02-01-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7184212)

The amount of pop can be controlled by tension.

I typically string natural gut about 5 lbs higher than synthetic gut in a 98-100 sq in racquet.

mikeler 02-01-2013 01:38 PM

Durability of gut is not good for me. Stringing it tighter will make it even worse.

slowfox 02-01-2013 04:48 PM

OP - Perhaps just hybrid gut mains with syn gut crosses, and give it a try.