Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Any Other Neutral Runners Out There? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453281)

Swerve 01-31-2013 02:01 PM

Any Other Neutral Runners Out There?

So I've been playing with the Zoom Vapor 8's because I like Nike stuff, but my feet don't always feel that great afterwards. I have only really started playing tennis competitively so I've never worn shoes made solely (no pun intended) for tennis.

When I run distance however, I know I am a neutral runner and prefer a lighter shoe. I am currently wearing New Balance 890 v2, with an 8mm heel-to-toe drop.

I know a lot of tennis players who run distance as well, so I was wondering if there were any other neutral runners who have a tennis shoe recommendation for me.

Thanks!

westpac690 01-31-2013 05:58 PM

I'm a runner as well. Anywhere from 2-7 miles per run depending on what's happening that week. I rotate between Brooks Glycerin 9's, Nike Zoom Vomero 6's, and Brooks Ghost 4's.
I've tried a number of high end tennis shoes with all the bells and whistles. Most of the popular shoes have some sort of plastic support piece in the midsole, and for the most part, all that stuff did was inhibit my movement forward, and some caused some degree of foot, or arch discomfort at some point.
I'm playing in the K-Swiss Ultrascendor II's right now, and they're the best shoes I've ever played with. They're light, stable, and the cushioning is just as good as the more expensive and popular shoes I've tried. I'm hoping K-Swiss keep them in production, and they do like the original Ultrascendor, and not change anything about it.

Swerve 01-31-2013 08:12 PM

Thanks for your input! I used to run in Zoom Vomero's until I went for a more minimalistic approach, and I enjoyed them so it's good to have a baseline as to what would be comfy. I'll look into those Ultrascendor's and see how they work out.

Chotobaka 02-01-2013 07:31 AM

Although I am a longtime Brooks Beast guy, I think the Glycerine is a terrific shoe. I use these for light and short days -- they are the epitome of a high quality neutral shoe IMO.

hollywood9826 02-04-2013 04:33 AM

If you got a place where you try on the shoes guive the Asics Gel Solution Speeds a try as well. There are one of the lightest tennis shoes around. Low to the ground and feel great to me.

At the moment to me they are the closest to a running shoe you will find for the tennis court.

r2473 02-04-2013 08:17 AM

What does "neutral" mean to you?

For what its worth, I'm a "neutral" runner as well.

Dedans Penthouse 02-04-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 7190610)
What does "neutral" mean to you?

running in place?

Sentinel 02-05-2013 01:06 AM

I have a suspicion he means a runner who neither lands on his heel, nor toes, somewhere in between. At first I thought he meant neither a supinator nor a pronator.

OP, in my running days they use to recommend keeping two different kinds of shoes and alternating. Maybe things have changed a lot since then. I remember the Nike Vortex being a pretty light shoe, and another even lighter one I loved which was sort of pink, possible used by some for racing.

"Epic" was a heavy horrible shoe, Nike's first 100 dollar shoe.