Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   2013 Davis Cup First Round - SPAIN vs. CANADA (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453282)

Down_the_line 01-31-2013 02:04 PM

2013 Davis Cup First Round - SPAIN vs. CANADA

2013 Davis Cup - First Round
SPAIN vs. CANADA

February 1 - 3, 2013

Thunderbird Sports Cenre - Vancouver, Canada

Team Canada

Milos Raonic
Vasek Pospisil
Frank Dancevic
Daniel Nestor

Team Spain

Marcel Granollers
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez
Albert Ramos
Marc Lopez

Draw:

R1: M. Raonic vs A. Ramos
R2: F. Dancevic vs M. Granollers
R3: D. Nestor / V. Pospisil vs M Granollers / M. Lopez
R4: M. Raonic vs M. Granollers
R5: R. Dancevic vs A. Ramos

TV: Rogers Sportsnet (Canada), TVE (Spain)

FEDERERNADAL13 01-31-2013 02:08 PM

I'm so excited... and I just can hide it!

wintintu 01-31-2013 02:41 PM

milos wins both singles, canada still loses 3-2

CDNguy87 01-31-2013 02:47 PM

(posted this in the other thread):

Just as I suspected. I'm almost certain Canada will sub in Pospisil for Dancevic if the 5th rubber proves decisive. Smart move keeping him fresher for the doubles match and the singles tie where he'll have a much better chance of pulling off an upset....having him waste his energy in a probably hopeless match against Granollers on Day 1 would have been pretty stupid.

Needless to say, Milos needs to win both singles. Since it's on his favourite surface against 2 lower-ranked players, he has no excuse not to.

Best chance for Canada to get the 3rd point and pull off the upset may be the final singles between Popisil and Ramos. Popisil would be the clear underdog, but Ramos is only about #50 in the world, so it really wouldn't be that huge an upset considering it's on indoor HCs in Canada. I'm also not sure if Ramos has a lot of big match experience....in a decisive leg, there could be a ton of pressure on him to avoid a first round loss for a team that has dominated the DC over the last 5 years, whereas Popisil might feel he has much less to lose.

CDNguy87 01-31-2013 06:50 PM

Interesting note: it looks like the bookies have Canada as a moderate favourite for this. Surprising...I would have guessed Spain would be slight favourites or at most a 50/50 shot for Canada.

pound cat 02-01-2013 04:24 AM

Canada.com

The first rule of Davis Cup is don’t talk about Davis Cup lineups.

At least, not in any meaningful sense.

Asked who his singles players will be for this weekend’s World Group first round tie at UBC, Spain’s captain, Alex Corretja, looked at the players flanking him at the press conference and replied, “One of these four.”

Then, just to hammer home the pointlessness of the question, he added with a laugh: “Don’t underestimate Lopez.”

That would be Marc Lopez, one half of Spain’s sensational doubles team and the one player who can clearly be ruled out for a singles match, considering he last played one on tour two years ago.

So, when it comes to Canada’s doubles team on Saturday, for what is often the turning point of a Davis Cup tie, any piece of information must be viewed with a certain skepticism.

Still, it sure sounded convincing at UBC on Tuesday when Canada’s ageless doubles wonder, Daniel Nestor, let it slip that he’ll partner Vancouver’s Vasek Pospisil against Lopez and Marcel Granollers.

“They’re probably the second best [doubles] team over the last year,” Nestor said when asked about the Spanish duo. “They’ve been very consistent. They’ve had bad luck with injuries at inopportune times — in the semifinals of the last two Grand Slams. I haven’t had much success against them, so hopefully playing with Vasek will turn that around.”

Was it an accidental slip? Hard to see that. Nestor has been around the block a few times. A bit of gamesmanship? A vote of confidence?

It felt like the latter, though Canadian captain Martin Laurendeau followed it up with a non-committal response (see rule one).

Nestor will certainly have as much, if not more, say than Laurendeau when it comes to picking his partner.

There was plenty of intrigue around the decision last February against France. Pospisil was announced as the partner at the official draw on the Thursday, but Nestor came out on Saturday with singles stud Milos Raonic instead.

Lineups can change up to an hour before the match.

Based on recent Davis Cup form, there’s no obvious choice. Nestor and Raonic lost in three sets to Julien Benneteau and Michael Llodra in February, effectively ending Canada’s hopes of advancing in that tie.

Then, in the September playoff in Montreal to get back into the World Group for 2013, Nestor and Pospisil fell surprisingly in three sets to South Africa’s Izak Van Der Merwe and Raven Klaasen.

Canada still advanced 4-1, which brought them to this weekend.

Against France, Laurendeau said the decision was largely down to how well Raonic played in his Friday singles romp over Benneteau, and how much Pospisil struggled in his match against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

Perhaps Friday this week will again carry significant weight, that is if Laurendeau goes with Pospisil, 22, in singles, as opposed to veteran Frank Dancevic, who showed well against Tsonga in February when Raonic pulled out of Sunday’s singles with swelling in his knee.

And as for that knee, might the way the France tie turned out scare Laurendeau off the idea of using Raonic all three days? Seems plausible.

Pospisil, meanwhile, is coming off a bout of mono in mid-December and hasn’t played a tour match in 2013.

He says he’s feeling great. He lost some weight, but that was the off-season play anyway.

Plenty to chew on.

One thing’s for sure: Laurendeau knows Saturday could be the key to a historic berth in the World Group quarterfinals. Canada would host the winner of Italy and Croatia.

“We’ll spend as much time as we can preparing the doubles,” Laurendeau said recently. “They [Lopez and Granollers] play a bit awkwardly — one guy up and one guy back — so, they’re very tricky to play but, in the end, we believe in our strength.

“Daniel is still a top-five doubles player. He’ll have to play his best tennis. He hasn’t in the last two ties.”

Neither has Pospisil, Canada’s Davis Cup workhorse hero in Israel in September 2011, a victory that lifted them back into the World Group for the first time since 2004.

Pospisil also partnered Nestor at the 2012 Olympics. They lost in the second round, 11-9 in the third set, to No. 3 seeds Nenad Zimonjic and Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia.

Their familiarity should be worth as much as Raonic’s cannon serve.

“Daniel and I didn’t play well against South Africa but that was probably only our one bad match together,” said Pospisil, No. 131 in singles. “We had a tough loss in the Olympics but were just a few points away.

“In South Africa, maybe up 2-0 [in the tie] we were too overconfident and that’s something to learn from. It was just one of those days.

“I’m very eager to go back on the court and I think being so fresh can be a big advantage, even though I haven’t had matches lately.”

Pospisil would love a chance to play hero on home soil this time. He says he’s ready, after admittedly being overwhelmed by the occasion last time out at home.

“I don’t really have any doubts that I’m going to handle it better and better,” he said. “Generally, I feed off the home crowds very well.”

Will he get the chance? Nestor says so. Read into that whatever you will.

stringertom 02-01-2013 05:39 AM

Wow...no Ferrer??? His absence makes this very winnable for the Maple Leafers!

pound cat 02-01-2013 01:03 PM

Raonc 0-1

Lousy footwork and too many errors...again from Raonic.

InvisibleSoul 02-01-2013 01:22 PM

Pretty poor first set from Raonic, but he's up a break in the second.

pound cat 02-01-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 7185092)

How are you all watching this match?

kishnabe 02-01-2013 02:47 PM

http://www.****************/tennis-li...ing-video.html

thejackal 02-01-2013 02:55 PM

I'm at the match. photos here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453388

ramos wearing mizuno shoes, which is interesting

Smasher08 02-01-2013 03:00 PM

Love Milos's shirt. Great fight from Ramos too.

thejackal 02-01-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smasher08 (Post 7185247)
Love Milos's shirt. Great fight from Ramos too.

ditto. cool looking shirt

InvisibleSoul 02-01-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 7185092)

I'm in Vancouver, and Sportsnet is broadcasting live on TV.

Down_the_line 02-01-2013 03:31 PM

Solid win for Raonic but not nearly as comfortable as it should have been. This is Raonic, though. Matches against guys like Hajek and Ramos are still going to be interesting and not exactly cake walks.

On the flip side, though, I believe Raonic tends to raise his game as the competition gets tougher. I'm looking for a much better effort against Granollers.

Up next: Dancevic vs Granollers. Granollers is the clear favourite but Dancevic is a damn good Davis Cup player. This is a big match for Canada.

Down_the_line 02-01-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 7185287)
I'm in Vancouver, and Sportsnet is broadcasting live on TV.

I'm in Edmonton and ditto for me.

jaggy 02-01-2013 03:36 PM

I have a stream for the 2nd so Im ok, http://www.vipbox.tv/tennis/130673/1...am-online.html

jaggy 02-01-2013 03:40 PM

OK both in red shirts annoys me right away.

thejackal 02-01-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Down_the_line (Post 7185300)
Solid win for Raonic but not nearly as comfortable as it should have been. This is Raonic, though. Matches against guys like Hajek and Ramos are still going to be interesting and not exactly cake walks.

On the flip side, though, I believe Raonic tends to raise his game as the competition gets tougher. I'm looking for a much better effort against Granollers.

Up next: Dancevic vs Granollers. Granollers is the clear favourite but Dancevic is a damn good Davis Cup player. This is a big match for Canada.

popcorn match for sure. I just asked ramos about the court surface and how fast it plays. his answer:'raonic makes any court look fast'

milos up in 5 minutes. post ur questions and I ll try to fit them in!