Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Why do I frame the ball often? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453290)

Bubbagumptennis 01-31-2013 05:01 PM

Why do I frame the ball often?
 
My racquet of choice - six one 95 16x18 (2012)

Played against a 2 star recruit today. Score 6-2 6-1

Found that any time I was forced on the run to my forehand I'd ALWAYS FRAME IT.

Any kick serve return I'd ALWAYS FRAME IT.

Any high forehand at all I'd ALWAYS FRAME IT.

Is it because this racquet is too much for me to handle? Too small of a head?

I admit it's probably all on me - technique, swing speed, etc etc.

I'm 15, 5'10, 138 lbs

5.0 level serve but 3.5 on groundies. So I guess my NTRP is around 4.0

luvforty 01-31-2013 05:07 PM

5.0 serve with 3.5 ground.

avoid the ground.

serve volley, chip charge.

rodrigoamaral 01-31-2013 05:08 PM

The #1 reason for mishitting all shots is footwork. Start doing speed and agility footwork drills and you'll see a huge difference:)

Bubbagumptennis 01-31-2013 05:08 PM

I'm at the point where I need to hit groundstrokes and improve because I can't make it to college solely on serve and volley!

Bubbagumptennis 01-31-2013 05:10 PM

and anyone whos seen my volleys.....ew
I didn't even think about footwork! Oh my.... that's so obvious -_- shame on me lol

rodrigoamaral 01-31-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbagumptennis (Post 7183242)
and anyone whos seen my volleys.....ew
I didn't even think about footwork! Oh my.... that's so obvious -_- shame on me lol

YES! Tennis is not about hitting a ball, it's about your balance, footwork, timing, rhythm and mental.. improve all those and your NTRP rating will shoot up the ladder QUICK

Bubbagumptennis 01-31-2013 05:16 PM

I have a habit of automatically standing 5 feet back and slicing every chance I get! I always over run the ball too

rodrigoamaral 01-31-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbagumptennis (Post 7183252)
I have a habit of automatically standing 5 feet back and slicing every chance I get! I always over run the ball too

the further back you go behind the baseline, the bigger the court becomes for your oponent and you give up the angles as well. court also becomes smaller for you.. stand inside the court to maximize your potential!!

sureshs 01-31-2013 05:22 PM

Keep your eye on the ball

LeeD 01-31-2013 05:26 PM

Keep your eye on the ball AND play against your peers or worse.
I seldom mishit against a 3.5, and can actually make some shots.
Against a 5.0, I look lost, old, blind, and looking the wrong way.

luvforty 01-31-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7183273)
Keep your eye on the ball AND play against your peers or worse.
I seldom mishit against a 3.5, and can actually make some shots.
Against a 5.0, I look lost, old, blind, and looking the wrong way.

I have played someone like this - absolutely monster serve, but with a baseline game that doesn't worth a dime.

and seems to me, that big swing mentality caused his wild swings at the baseline, which produced tons of errors.

so OP, perhaps you are just over swinging.

jakeytennis 01-31-2013 07:12 PM

don't take your eyes of the ball.
for me, watching the ball spin before i hit the ball helps me a ton.
i hardly ever frame the ball.
also, don't take your racket back too early. when the racket isn't in your peripheral vision, you cant coordinate the ball and your racket together that well.

also, improve your footwork to get more balls in your strike zone

v-verb 01-31-2013 07:21 PM

Are you seeing the ball clearly? I say this because I was using some old glasses -framed almost every shot.

The next match I had some new contacts, saw the ball cleanly to the strings and didn't frame one.

So as other posters have said, keep your eye on the ball and make sure you can see it

sureshs 01-31-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-verb (Post 7183462)
Are you seeing the ball clearly? I say this because I was using some old glasses -framed almost every shot.

The next match I had some new contacts, saw the ball cleanly to the strings and didn't frame one.

So as other posters have said, keep your eye on the ball and make sure you can see it

He is 15 :-)

10s talk 01-31-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7183266)
Keep your eye on the ball

BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are lifting your head up a fraction of a second early, and changing the trajectory of the swing

v-verb 01-31-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7183499)
He is 15 :-)

You can have flaky vision at 15 as well - I've had glasses since 8 yrs of age. And I did see that he was 15 in the opening post.

OHBH 01-31-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbagumptennis (Post 7183228)
My racquet of choice - six one 95 16x18 (2012)

Played against a 2 star recruit today. Score 6-2 6-1

Found that any time I was forced on the run to my forehand I'd ALWAYS FRAME IT.

Any kick serve return I'd ALWAYS FRAME IT.

Any high forehand at all I'd ALWAYS FRAME IT.

Is it because this racquet is too much for me to handle? Too small of a head?

I admit it's probably all on me - technique, swing speed, etc etc.

I'm 15, 5'10, 138 lbs

5.0 level serve but 3.5 on groundies. So I guess my NTRP is around 4.0

Now I used to be a major framer not too long ago, even against players I beat fairly easily I would still hit a few sideways.

Problem was that I was trying to hit out in front too much. Meaning a lot of times at impact my racket was close to being in line with my forearm. Once I learned to lead with the racket handle and keep a loose arm and wrist my forehand dramatically improved. I was finally hitting that effortless, clean, heavy ball I had always wanted.

rkelley 01-31-2013 10:22 PM

Another vote for focusing on the ball all the way into the contact point. Visualize the contact point and have the picture in your mind of how your racquet is going to rip through that spot.

I frame it when I swing too early. Even when someone is hitting big if you're split stepping and watching the ball off the racquet you can get to most balls with enough time to set-up. I tend to pull the trigger a bit too soon when I see the ball coming fast, even though I'm set-up (lack of talent showing through).

This happens even more when my opponent is hitting big and varying the spin (so some balls kick up and others skid more). The pace steals time and the different bounces make for last minute adjustments.

TheCheese 01-31-2013 10:57 PM

Maybe he was hitting with more spin or pace than you're used to, causing you to mistime the ball.

Headshotterer 01-31-2013 11:03 PM

contact thew ball earlier then normal. i believe that hitting late causes you too loose control and site off the ball.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse