Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   I used to be a Babolat hater... now look what's in my bag (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453307)

DustinW 01-31-2013 08:00 PM

I used to be a Babolat hater... now look what's in my bag

Well, not really a hater. For some reason, I always avoided Babolat because that's what everybody else was playing with. I guess they finally sucked me in. :)

UCSF2012 01-31-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustinW (Post 7183613)
Well, not really a hater. For some reason, I always avoided Babolat because that's what everybody else was playing with. I guess they finally sucked me in. :)

Those stickers/barcodes on the inside of the frame tell me those are demo rackets. Not too impressed.

djdannyj25 02-01-2013 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCSF2012 (Post 7183778)
Those stickers/barcodes on the inside of the frame tell me those are demo rackets. Not too impressed.

OHHHHH SNAPPPPP!

DustinW 02-01-2013 02:55 AM

Quote:

What are you talking about??? I own all 3. Why would I post about having demos in my bag???

colan5934 02-01-2013 03:08 AM

I'm gonna guess that the Pure Storm Tour was bought on the forums. I know of a seller who puts those stickers on his frames to differentiate them, and he sells a lot of rackets on the boards

boomerTennis 02-01-2013 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustinW (Post 7183613)

What is your take on the new APD plus? How would you compare that to your PD plus and the previous APD GT plus model (if you have played with it before)? Thanks!

DustinW 02-01-2013 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomerTennis (Post 7183933)
What is your take on the new APD plus? How would you compare that to your PD plus and the previous APD GT plus model (if you have played with it before)? Thanks!

What you see in the photo are the only Babolat frames I've ever hit with. I guess its not clear in the photo, but that's actually a PDR+ (not a PD+). And I just picked up the APD+ plus so I haven't hit with that one yet. Hopefully I will get a chance to this weekend, and then I will do a comparison to the PDR+.

roundiesee 02-01-2013 05:11 AM

I think they are vastly different, even though they are all Babolats. Which do you actually prefer?

DustinW 02-01-2013 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roundiesee (Post 7184042)
I think they are vastly different, even though they are all Babolats. Which do you actually prefer?

I prefer the PDR+ over the PST. They have a very similar swingweight and a similar overall Babolat feel, but the PDR+ is more crisp (which I prefer) with free power and spin.

I haven't hit with the APD+ yet. It has a much lower weight than what I am used to, so I'm interested in seeing how I like it.

pshulam 02-01-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustinW (Post 7184072)
I prefer the PDR+ over the PST. They have a very similar swingweight and a similar overall Babolat feel, but the PDR+ is more crisp (which I prefer) with free power and spin.

Free? No loss in control, maneuverability, comfort?

DustinW 02-01-2013 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pshulam (Post 7184089)
Free? No loss in control, maneuverability, comfort?

Yes, IMO, free.

I much prefer a crisp (stiffer) frame over a flexy frame. And I don't find the PDR+ too stiff... I can feel it flex on serves and when I take a good cut on ground strokes, but it remains stiff on volleys and defensive stabs. While the PST isn't too flexy, it just doesn't have that crisp feel of the Pure Drive. Comfort is hard to define and is very subjective.

As far as maneuverability goes, the heavier PST and the slightly lighter (but longer) PDR+ feel almost identical to me in terms of swingweight and maneuverability.

I suppose the PST has slightly more control than the PDR+, but not enough to be significant for me. As I increase my swingspeed with the PDR+, it imparts more topspin on the ball... which in turn helps keep it in the court. With the PST, the ball comes off much flatter... but with less power, I can still swing harder and keep the ball in without the extra topspin that I can get with the PDR+. Hope that makes sense.

anubis 02-01-2013 06:08 AM

I just got a Babolat APD 2013 and I love it. I get so much "free power" with it. I've hit more winners with it than I've ever hit with any other racquet. And, its not terribly heavy so it doesn't tire me out.

RollTrackTake 02-01-2013 06:22 AM

instagram makes them look even sexier! I have an on/off again relationship with Babolat racquets.
Started with the APDC -->PDGT -->APDGT -->2012PD -->2013 APD+.
For whatever reason the love never lasts.

Larrysümmers 02-01-2013 06:28 AM

Love that pdr+ aim at a target and fire away. Nice pick up OP

dyldore 02-01-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

LOL, those stickers have the serial number for the racket on them. The bar code is for QR scanners on your iPhone or w/e. Bought an APD new from TW and it has the same sticker.

mrtrinh 02-01-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Not very impressed with your ignorance. All babolats have barcodes on the throat

ollinger 02-01-2013 08:49 AM

The OP needs to read a book called "The Wisdom of the Crowd," a scholarly discussion about how large numbers of people usually get it right, i.e. if alot of people are using Babolat, it's probably a very good racquet to use. Avoiding something because everybody else uses it often indicates self-esteem issues, i.e. fear of being ignored because of conformity.

omega4 02-01-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Not too impressed with your etiquette and manners.

Broly4 02-01-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7184471)
The OP needs to read a book called "The Wisdom of the Crowd," a scholarly discussion about how large numbers of people usually get it right, i.e. if alot of people are using Babolat, it's probably a very good racquet to use. Avoiding something because everybody else uses it often indicates self-esteem issues, i.e. fear of being ignored because of conformity.

spot on, great point.

DustinW 02-01-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7184471)

Haha ollinger... good one. I think my self-steem is fine. I attribute it to wanting to learn things for myself instead of just being a sheep.

How to Not Be a Sheep