Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Help me upgrade from BLX surge 100 to pro staff 90 or 95 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453317)

Numb_mln 02-01-2013 01:42 AM

Help me upgrade from BLX surge 100 to pro staff 90 or 95

Hi guys, I started tennis 2 months ago and i enjoy it a lot, i play tennis now 6-8 hours a week with my coach, now i have BLX surge 100 in case any of you want to know exact detail i know u are pro but just in case (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-WBLXS.html) i will be really happy if you can help me find out do i need to move toward better racquets like pro staff 90 and 95,
I'm 24 yo, 78 kg (172 Pound) and I'm 182 cm tall almost 6 feet. please let me know if you need any more information,:)

rlau 02-01-2013 01:54 AM

Why do you want to upgrade? You've only been playing for two months. I'd focus on what your coach says, rather than tinker with equipment.

Numb_mln 02-01-2013 01:58 AM

my couch says sooner or later u need a racquet with smaller head size for more control, and the main reason i want to upgrade is weight of the BLX surge racquet that i think is bit lightweight.

Prodigy1234 02-01-2013 04:46 AM

Well if you had to choose between the PS 95 and PS 90, I would recommend the PS 95. This is because going from 10.4 oz to 12.6 oz is a huge jump, as is 100 to 90. You would be going from a lighter tweener to a heavy player's racket.
For the PS 95:
10.4 -> 11.5
100 -> 95

Numb_mln 02-01-2013 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigy1234 (Post 7183938)
Well if you had to choose between the PS 95 and PS 90, I would recommend the PS 95. This is because going from 10.4 oz to 12.6 oz is a huge jump, as is 100 to 90. You would be going from a lighter tweener to a heavy player's racket.
For the PS 95:
10.4 -> 11.5
100 -> 95

thanks for the comment i had the same idea about these two racquets

royfrombigd 02-01-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlau (Post 7183823)
Why do you want to upgrade? You've only been playing for two months. I'd focus on what your coach says, rather than tinker with equipment.

This post is correct. If you're just starting tennis, stick with what you have for now. The racquets you reference, IMO, are going to be too advanced for someone just starting out.

anubis 02-01-2013 07:05 AM

If your coach says that you need a different racquet in order to gain more control, then perhaps you have a bad coach. Most of the more talented coaches on this site all agree that control comes from the player, not the racquet. You learn how to control the ball through swing speed, timing, footwork, top spin, among other things.

royfrombigd 02-01-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis (Post 7184139)
If your coach says that you need a different racquet in order to gain more control, then perhaps you have a bad coach. Most of the more talented coaches on this site all agree that control comes from the player, not the racquet. You learn how to control the ball through swing speed, timing, footwork, top spin, among other things.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Agree....

Tim 02-01-2013 07:56 AM

One thing you could do with your current racket is change string and/or string it at a higher tension it will lend a bit more control without changing too many variables.

Numb_mln 02-01-2013 01:18 PM

guys thanks a lot i try to keep what i have and focus more on my playing :P i have alrdy using luxilon original, if anything wrong with this string let me know thanks again

sunof tennis 02-01-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numb_mln (Post 7184952)
guys thanks a lot i try to keep what i have and focus more on my playing :P i have alrdy using luxilon original, if anything wrong with this string let me know thanks again

Wow, a beginning player already playing with poly. Not sure of the necessity of that, but if it works for you and doesn't cause pain.....

racertempo 02-01-2013 03:18 PM

I like you playing with a Poly, but agree with everyone else saying that a smaller racquet for more control is just a crazy sentiment. Your sweet spot is much much larger with the Surge, and the Surge is actually a very tweener frame, stay with it for sure.

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-01-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis (Post 7184139)

If your coach is telling you to get new equipment to hit certain shots, then he's not a coach, but marketer. What are you going to do? Alternate racquets between each service and return game? (some people do that, then I laugh for holding my serve and breaking his/her)

And what are you going to do in a rally? You're going to stop mid-rally just to switch to your "drop shot" racquet, or "retrieving racquet"?

A good coach would teach you to hit EVERY shot with whatever racquet you're using. None of this built-in excuse BS: "oh this racquet doesn't have enough control/power".

Lakers4Life 02-01-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numb_mln (Post 7183816)
Hi guys, I started tennis 2 months ago and i enjoy it a lot, i play tennis now 6-8 hours a week with my coach, now i have BLX surge 100 in case any of you want to know exact detail i know u are pro but just in case (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-WBLXS.html) i will be really happy if you can help me find out do i need to move toward better racquets like pro staff 90 and 95,
I'm 24 yo, 78 kg (172 Pound) and I'm 182 cm tall almost 6 feet. please let me know if you need any more information,:)

You might be better of going to BLX Blade 98 or 93. The Surge is a great begginer racket, but jumping to a BLX PS 6.1 90 or 95 is a totally different beast.

I see a lot of guys who play with 6.1 90 or 95 thinking they can hit like Federer, but are far from it.

Ilove10nis 02-01-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7185506)
You might be better of going to BLX Blade 98 or 93. The Surge is a great begginer racket, but jumping to a BLX PS 6.1 90 or 95 is a totally different beast.

I see a lot of guys who play with 6.1 90 or 95 thinking they can hit like Federer, but are far from it.

Yes, I think blx blade 98 seem suit you better. If you want more control go b
For blade 98 18x20. Blade 16x19 will give you more spin and power... But if you really want to change to blx prostaff, go for ps 95. You always can add weight if you need too...

TTech321 02-01-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7185506)

... well some people can be a poor man's federer on the local courts...:cry:

But seriously, if you only started playing 2 months, and you already have a decent stick, just stay with it until you develop your strokes further. Both the PS 95 and 90 require decent strokes for you to even keep the ball in play without being a dinker. You can jump straight to the 90 if you have the footwork, hand-eye, and decent strokes, but the one thing you should not do is use Poly strings if you are a beginner. Poly strings with mess up your arm if you aren't using correct technique. Polys weren't made for beginners anyways, they are intended for advanced players who hit hard, break strings, and need control. Polys are the worst for the weekend warriors, since they lose tension so fast, you are just wasting your money.

Venetian 02-01-2013 11:46 PM

No racquet is really an "upgrade". Unless you're playing with a junior racquet I suppose. :)

If you're looking to experience more of the classic "player's racquet" feel, I suggest adding a bit of lead tape underneath your grip. That will give it a more headlight balance and add a bit of mass, and won't cost you $100+.

As for needing a smaller headsize for more control, I believe that guy that just won the Australian Open uses larger than a 95" headsize, and he seemed to have a decent amount of control over his shots.

Hi I'm Ray 02-01-2013 11:53 PM

Pretty weird for your coach to say. There are college, futures, pros, etc., using tweeners like the PD and APD. You might add a little weight/lead to your racket as you get better but there's no reason you need to switch from your current frame unless you personally feel it is not a good fit.

I wouldn't recommend poly either, until you are regularly breaking syn gut.

Numb_mln 02-02-2013 12:10 AM

if you think changing my string will help me to play better and obviously i am looking to improve my tennis, so i try to change my string to a better one, if you have any suggestion on a good string for me let me know, and adding weight to the grip, can i do it my self (buy some lead tape and add it to the grip or does it need a professional who knows the balance ?)

Venetian 02-02-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numb_mln (Post 7186054)
if you think changing my string will help me to play better and obviously i am looking to improve my tennis, so i try to change my string to a better one, if you have any suggestion on a good string for me let me know, and adding weight to the grip, can i do it my self (buy some lead tape and add it to the grip or does it need a professional who knows the balance ?)

Yeah you just buy it yourself from whatever sporting goods store is near you, or order it online from TW. You can just cut it into strips (however long you want) and experiment with how it feels. Then add more, or take some off as you see fit. It's a much cheaper alternative to buying racquets, and I think it's a lot of fun and helps you to figure out your ideal balance.