Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Lob or Pass? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453319)

firepanda 02-01-2013 01:18 AM

Lob or Pass?

Just a quick poll to sate my curiosity. :D

When your opponent's at the net and you're at or behind the baseline do you usually pass to end the point, or lob to get him out of your face? I'm very aware that which shot depends on the circumstances, but which shot do you prefer to hit and hit most ofter?

ace_pace 02-01-2013 03:01 AM

Really depends on whether or not you are proficient in lobbing or passing or both. For me I prefer passing.

TomT 02-01-2013 03:12 AM

Lob, pass, or Roger Federer? Naturally I picked Roger Federer.

dominikk1985 02-01-2013 05:39 AM

anything above 4.0 the pass would be the better solution.

sunof tennis 02-01-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firepanda (Post 7183834)

When your opponent's at the net and you're at or behind the baseline do you usually pass to end the point, or lob to get him out of your face? I'm very aware that which shot depends on the circumstances, but which shot do you prefer to hit and hit most ofter?

Maybe you should also include an Ivan Lendl option for people you like to right at the net person in such a situation.

LeeD 02-01-2013 10:19 AM

At any decent level of tennis, when you're forced to hit your passing shot or lob reply from behind the baseline, the net person has at least a good chance of getting to the ball.
Now, a low dipping pass, it's OK if they get to the ball, as you would likely get another chance to pass him.
A higher faster pass attempt usually has close to 50% of cleanly passing him, and you can still get to some of his weak replies.
But at any decent level, when you lob from behind your own baseline, you give the netperson some kind of overhead, unless you bounce the ball perfectly 4' from his baseline and keep it low bouncing. Basically, any shot of an overhead is a forcing shot or clean winner.
Lobs work well at lower level, but that's all.
But EVERY level needs the threat of the lob, so the netperson doesn't crowd the net.

Tmano 02-01-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

I definitely go for a passing shot but it could happen and this depends on how confident with shot you are that a lob could work as well. But I mostly go for passing shot.

user92626 02-01-2013 03:54 PM

I call "out" to end the point in my favor.

slowfox 02-01-2013 04:52 PM

I notice most players at my local park tend to prefer the lob. It's like "Oh net person, up it goes", even if the approach was bad and a whole side is open for an easy pass.

While not always successful, I usually attempt to pass first.

Chemist 02-01-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

In general, if your opponent hits a deep approach shot to the open court and you have to chase the ball, you would have a better chance throwing a lob to stay alive, an offensive lob if you are fast. I, a 4.0-4.5 player, would lob 75% of the time, while my son, a 5.0-5.5 player, would hit a passing shot 75% of the time.

Relinquis 02-01-2013 09:51 PM

peg the guy... his straight at him Lendl style!