Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Hypothetical Life or Death Situation (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453323)

mikeespinmusic 02-01-2013 03:47 AM

Hypothetical Life or Death Situation
 
If you're stranded on an island with no help or food coming your way anytime soon and you had only natural gut strings and leather replacement grips in your bag. Would you consider eating them?
If yes, how? This is a very important question.

Sentinel 02-01-2013 04:11 AM

I am a vegetarian so I'd just die.

If you eat them you'll die of starvation a few days later anyway... if you can digest that stuff anyway. I suppose if you boil the string would make a nice pasta, and the grips could be eaten like bacon

and oh this beats my hypothetical being abducted by aliens question by a light year.

North 02-01-2013 04:20 AM

I would use the string as fishing line (or to make snares if there was any game on the island) and bits of leather as bait to catch something better to eat.

rommil 02-01-2013 04:42 AM

Sell the strings and grips online and use money to buy food:)

mikeespinmusic 02-01-2013 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 7183964)
I am a vegetarian so I'd just die.

If you eat them you'll die of starvation a few days later anyway... if you can digest that stuff anyway. I suppose if you boil the string would make a nice pasta, and the grips could be eaten like bacon

and oh this beats my hypothetical being abducted by aliens question by a light year.

Oooh now here's a question. Does the same principle apply for a vegetarian/vegan in terms of not using leather grips or gut string in a match?

Jay_The_Nomad 02-01-2013 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North (Post 7183976)
I would use the string as fishing line (or to make snares if there was any game on the island) and bits of leather as bait to catch something better to eat.

Dude, he said natural gut. Water is a big no no.

That's why polyester strings are the best. You never know when you might get stranded on a deserted island.

McLovin 02-01-2013 05:19 AM

What if there was no such thing as a hypothetical situation?

North 02-01-2013 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay_The_Nomad (Post 7184049)
Dude, he said natural gut. Water is a big no no.

That's why polyester strings are the best. You never know when you might get stranded on a deserted island.

Oh, that's right. Sorry. Do you think the gut would decompose immediately or would it last a little while, till you hooked a nice tuna, say?

krz 02-01-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 7184056)
What if there was no such thing as a hypothetical situation?

and the OP is actually stuck on the island with only natural gut, leather grips, 4GLTE and an iPhone5

BHiC 02-01-2013 06:19 AM

I don't know about the strings but I do know that I would never eat the leather grip. Leather is normally tanned with chemicals that are poisonous if ingested.

PureAlph4 02-01-2013 06:30 AM

Surely you're using them as materials in binding your raft together...

LeeD 02-01-2013 10:50 AM

Salt water island or fresh water island?

OHBH 02-01-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7184730)
Salt water island or fresh water island?

What freshwater island do you know of that you couldn't just swim back from?

LeeD 02-01-2013 11:23 AM

Distance is not always the problem. Cold water might be.
There is an island in the middle of that lake in Siberia, the one gulag escapees always have to skirt around. A former g/f told me she trained it like 3,000 miles to see, from Warsaw. It's famous because lots of escapees are Polish, stuck in some gulag in Siberia.
I'm not a good swimmer, so anything more than Alcatraz might be beyond my ability.
If you were stuck in England, you might not make it to the mainland.

JohnnyCracker 02-01-2013 04:32 PM

LeeD, have you ever swim to Alcatraz?
There's a guy who swim to the island every morning before sunrise. Even in the winter. Crazy.

Sentinel 02-02-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeespinmusic (Post 7184044)
Oooh now here's a question. Does the same principle apply for a vegetarian/vegan in terms of not using leather grips or gut string in a match?

I tend to use poly or co-poly strings, can't afford natgut. I think my prostaff has a leather grip under the softer one I have put over it. I don't buy anything with leather incl shoes/belts/wallets, but i am not gonna rip of the leather grip off my scarce prostaffs.

Did any one you see that movie "Life of Pi" ?

Polaris 02-02-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 7186109)
Did any one you see that movie "Life of Pi" ?

I did. It was awesome!

LeeD 02-02-2013 01:14 PM

All the swims are AWAY from Alcatraz. Think about it. If you swim TO Alcatraz, and it's a hair over 1.5 miles, when you arrive, wouldn't you be cold and in need of hot drink, towell, and a rest?
That doesn't exist THERE.
If you jump off a boat and swim to AquaticPark, hot drink, towells, and hot showers are awaiting.
I already said I'm a weak swimmer. Longest swims are outside Sloat on a 17' day, to shore, which took maybe 1/2 hour total.

JohnnyCracker 02-03-2013 01:06 AM

this guy swim "to" Alcatraz
I used to watch him all the time
there's a little boat that follows right behind him
I'd be on Embarcadero early in the morning before sunrise jogging and there he is jumping in the freezing water in the dark

The Meat 02-03-2013 01:56 AM

Use the natural gut to create a fishing pole or even use it as a binding material for a hut and eventually a boat off the island.

Use the leather grip as a strap in case you cut yourself on a sharp rock, have to amputate your infected arm, and biting on it to dull the pain.

Use the tennis bag's shoe bag as a waterproof bag to hold salt water to distill it into freshwater.


You should have included a tennis racquet in the survival package, coconut tennis :)


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse