Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   new player signup - rating change (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453370)

topdog123 02-01-2013 12:15 PM

new player signup - rating change
 
This is my first season as captain of our 3.0 team and I'm trying to get a new player signed up on my team.

He filled out the questionnaire by the u.s.t.a. and he was rated as a 3.5 possibly because he played high school tennis. However, the last time he played in the u.s.t.a. a few years ago he played 3.0. I've played with him a few times and I think he's a strong 3.0 player but not a 3.5

I'm trying to find out what the fastest way is to get his rating changed to a 3.0. Is that something that's pretty easy to do online?

Thanks for your help.

IA-SteveB 02-01-2013 12:21 PM

You can appeal up or down, but good luck trying to go down. I tried to appeal a 3.5 rating down to 3.0 but was denied because I was a collegiate swimmer. Given your person played HS tennis, I am almost certain your new player will be denied.

If your person logs into their USTA account, there is a link in the upper right to Appeal Rating Level.

schmke 02-01-2013 12:27 PM

Did he already self-rate in TennisLink as a 3.5? You said he played as a 3.0 a few years ago, so if that is the case, if he hasn't self-rated in the system yet, I don't think he'd have a problem signing up and self-rating as a 3.0.

And how many years ago is the "few" that he played USTA? If 3 or less his 3.0 rating should still be in the system.

topdog123 02-01-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schmke (Post 7184970)
Did he already self-rate in TennisLink as a 3.5? You said he played as a 3.0 a few years ago, so if that is the case, if he hasn't self-rated in the system yet, I don't think he'd have a problem signing up and self-rating as a 3.0.

And how many years ago is the "few" that he played USTA? If 3 or less his 3.0 rating should still be in the system.

He answered the questions, and the computer gave him the rating. He is currently assigned a 3.5 rating, which is preventing him from signing up on my 3.0 team.

It's been close to 3 years since he played in a 3.0 league but I don't know the excact date when he last played.

Thanks!

IA-SteveB 02-01-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topdog123 (Post 7185011)
He answered the questions, and the computer gave him the rating. He is currently assigned a 3.5 rating, which is preventing him from signing up on my 3.0 team.

It's been close to 3 years since he played in a 3.0 league but I don't know the excact date when he last played.

Thanks!

I believe any time you say you played HS varsity, you are automatically given 3.5. :) Use the appeal online. It only took a few days for me to be denied. They have to take your appeal and discuss it as a committee and they email you an answer and explanation. You can also contact your league coordinator because they may have an inside track to the "committee."

Govnor 02-01-2013 01:51 PM

Maybe times have changed, but when I look at a HS player now, it's pretty hard to imagine they could ever be a 3.0 again. I know age and weight take their toll, but it's weird, to me.

topdog123 02-01-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB (Post 7185019)
I believe any time you say you played HS varsity, you are automatically given 3.5. :) Use the appeal online. It only took a few days for me to be denied. They have to take your appeal and discuss it as a committee and they email you an answer and explanation. You can also contact your league coordinator because they may have an inside track to the "committee."

What if he played high school varsity, but he also played in a u.s.t.a. a few years ago as a 3.0 player.

Being a 3.0 player in the u.s.t.a. was more recent - does that not take priority over him playing high school tennis?

Should I be asking my players to self-rate in the future? I assumed since he played u.s.t.a. 3.0 tennis just a few years back it would be simple for him to resign up as a 3.0 player.

Thanks for your help!

NLBwell 02-01-2013 03:56 PM

What was he doing being honest? How is he going to compete with all the sandbaggers?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse