Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   comm college tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453405)

MarinaHighTennis 02-01-2013 06:48 PM

comm college tennis

Hey guys!

I was wondering, is there any benefit to play tennis for community college teams? The coach for the school i attend really doesnt want me to quit (for scheduling distance and academic reasons) and is willing to let me by several requirements, etc. My parents see no gain in playing tennis for comm college and want me to get As in my classes using that time to study. However i really want to play since the coach is being very understanding about my schedule issues. Btw i am a premed major and taking second sem of organic chem plus other classes and will be transferring to UC next year. What can i say to my parents to let me play? Also the time the coach wants to deal with me is just 3-4 hours a week just so i can help the team for one match

MarinaHighTennis 02-01-2013 09:52 PM

help? is there no benefits to future opportunities?

Lovely_Bone 02-01-2013 11:56 PM

It's fun i guess

MarinaHighTennis 02-02-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovely_Bone (Post 7186040)
It's fun i guess

im probs not gonna play with that explanation

andfor 02-02-2013 03:54 AM

Why won't your parents let you play?

Are you getting A's now?

Are they paying for all your tuition and fees at this time?

Is the coach going to give you a tennis scholarship?

Will the coach help you get extra tutoring (if needed) to help you get your A's?

You're 18 right? Are you getting to make some decisions on your own?

2ndServe 02-02-2013 05:24 AM

just play, it's your decision and you want to. It's really that simple.

It'll also help you when you want to go to a UC. 4hrs of exercise, making new friends, new connections, improving, being on team. I see no negatives. You won't make or break your life if you get a B+ in some chem class during CC.

jaggy 02-02-2013 07:18 AM

Don't play, join a business fraternity, rule the world. Screw sport or fun.

tyu1314 02-02-2013 07:48 AM

I think if its only 4hrs a week then it shouldn't be much of a problem. No matter your grades are good or bad ,4hrs a week really wouldn't make any difference.

But are you sure the coach really only need you for only 4hrs a week? 4hr can only allow you to not practice and just go one match a week.

MarinaHighTennis 02-02-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyu1314 (Post 7186369)
I think if its only 4hrs a week then it shouldn't be much of a problem. No matter your grades are good or bad ,4hrs a week really wouldn't make any difference.

But are you sure the coach really only need you for only 4hrs a week? 4hr can only allow you to not practice and just go one match a week.

Thats what i was thinking but its my parents car and we are asian lol. Also getting a B/A does make a difference on gpa to transfer to UC

He asked me to join 3 weeks ago but then i realized that its too much time with my class load and when added up, itll take a lot of gas. He then asked if could come 3 days a werkwhich i tried but parents complained about that too. Now he asked me just to play for tuesday matches. I still practice were i live at the highschool since i coach there

andfor 02-02-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarinaHighTennis (Post 7186490)
Thats what i was thinking but its my parents car and we are asian lol. Also getting a B/A does make a difference on gpa to transfer to UC

He asked me to join 3 weeks ago but then i realized that its too much time with my class load and when added up, itll take a lot of gas. He then asked if could come 3 days a werkwhich i tried but parents complained about that too. Now he asked me just to play for tuesday matches. I still practice were i live at the highschool since i coach there

Find a way. Just do it. If you don't 20 years later you'll wish you would have.

I have a friend who is a successful cardioligist. Played at UNC for 1 yr. To this day wishes he played all four years. Says looking back he could have done college tennis and school and still had the same career.

SystemicAnomaly 02-02-2013 11:39 AM

If you have a decent coach at the community college that you have in mind, it can be a great opportunity to improve your tennis. I have never played college tennis myself but have practiced with teams over the years. I have seen those players improve considerably from when they started to after their 1st and 2nd years.

WARPWOODIE 02-06-2013 02:22 PM

I gather you're from SoCal? If so, Jr. College Tennis is probably better than most places. JC tennis is hit or miss, much like high school tennis. Is the team and conference pretty strong? If the coach only wants you there for a min of 3 hours a week, it sounds like he is in dired need of players....maybe to justify the program from the budget axe... and to basically to keep his job. As to your questions....just play, especially if it is not hindering your GPA.

LeeD 02-06-2013 04:11 PM

Listen to SA.
I played with lots of top high school prospects, some going directly to singles positions in Div1 colleges.
But, the one's who didn't get scholarships ended up, 2 years later, just as good as the scholarship players thru determined practice and adult tournament play.
Of course, they had to PLAY and practice tennis 6 days a week, 3 hours a day to get there.

Chemist 02-06-2013 04:19 PM

I agree with many posters that you should play. Explain to your parents that your JC tennis experience would be really helpful for your transfer to UC - maybe more so than 0.2 difference in GPA. However, if playing JC tennis would cause any conflict with your high school coaching responsibilities, then you have to choose to play or to coach.

texacali 02-07-2013 07:40 AM

I think if you are pre-med and seriously going to apply to med schools, admissions folks want to see that you are well rounded and have the ability to handle other things than just studying. Schools are looking for balanced individuals, so the CC tennis is something to consider keeping and when you transfer to UC (Does that mean Berkeley, LA, Riverside, Irvine, etc?) continue some involvement, perhaps in some sort of major or career related student organization....if not something like that maybe do club tennis? I understand the "Asian Quandary", but you have to consider that if you don't get into med school, what other potential opportunities did you lose by not doing something but crack books. I say try the tennis....

goran_ace 02-07-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texacali (Post 7197607)
I think if you are pre-med and seriously going to apply to med schools, admissions folks want to see that you are well rounded and have the ability to handle other things than just studying.

Med school is a different story. GPA absolutely matters, more specifically your science/math GPA. Being well-rounded is only good if you already have the grades and MCAT score, but it won't make up for even a slight deficiency in either.

Make sure the coach understands that grades are your top priority and hold him to those concessions.