Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   String Snapped while stringing - Blood + Whiplash! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453425)

Sweet-Spot 02-01-2013 09:25 PM

String Snapped while stringing - Blood + Whiplash!

I was stringing a racket the other day with my shirt off (I live in a very hot climate). I was pulling it around 30kg as I like my tension tight. This strings I had were Pro Hurricane tour but I get them from China so I am a little suspicious (although they do feel reasonably good).

Anyways as I'm pulling on the mains, the string just snaps, flies back and as I was standing in the line of fire whips me on the abdominals, drawing blood. I also have a nice red line down my torso where the string hit me.

Pretty dangerous, had I bent down to get something it could well have blinded me. This happened to anyone else?

Lakers4Life 02-01-2013 09:32 PM

Ouch! Nope I can't say that happen to me. (knock on wood)

zapvor 02-01-2013 10:04 PM

lets wear a shirt next time

mad dog1 02-01-2013 10:14 PM

and protective eyewear if you choose to use knock off strings again in the future. as the saying goes, "you get what you pay for."

Irvin 02-01-2013 10:52 PM

I have had string break before but can say that I've ever seen a string snap, whip through the grommet and out if the racket and hit something. Especially poly. Just a freak accident I don't think it would happen again but you never know.

Lakers4Life 02-01-2013 11:16 PM

I'm assuming the OP was using a drop weight.

Irvin 02-01-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7186059)
I'm assuming the OP was using a drop weight.

And gravity falling for a 1 foot distance will fall fast enough to spin the 2 inch gripper fast enough to draw blood? He would have to be standing far enough behind the bar for it to fall freely. Do you really think hurricane tour is going to whip like that? I have to give it to you, you have a vivid imagination L4L. LOL

He may have been scratched but I find whiplash hard to believe.

Lakers4Life 02-02-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7186080)
And gravity falling for a 1 foot distance will fall fast enough to spin the 2 inch gripper fast enough to draw blood? He would have to be standing far enough behind the bar for it to fall freely. Do you really think hurricane tour is going to whip like that? I have to give it to you, you have a vivid imagination L4L. LOL

He may have been scratched but I find whiplash hard to believe.

Well Irvin you have an even more vivid imagination when it comes to stringing. :lol:

I'm saying it plauseable, especially at 66 lbs of tension and a drop weight pulling the string. Why don't you give it a try, and see if draws blood.:lol:

Irvin 02-02-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7186090)
Well Irvin you have an even more vivid imagination when it comes to stringing. :lol:

I'm saying it plauseable, especially at 66 lbs of tension and a drop weight pulling the string. Why don't you give it a try, and see if draws blood.:lol:

Thanks, I take that as a compliment even though you did not mean it to be.

Well there are a couple of reasons, 1) I don't have a DW, and 2) I would never stand inline with the direction of pull outside the bar to tension a string with a DW.

Squidward 02-02-2013 04:46 AM

I've had 1 string pop while pulling (on the last cross no less...). I think it was just defective string. It just seperated and frayed where the break was.

Still, I always wear safety glasses when I string, mainly 'cause I need bi-focals and have to wear glasses anyway.

If a string did pop with enough force to whiplash, I'd imagine it'd be pretty painful. Something to think about...

WileyCoyote 02-02-2013 11:34 AM

Really???

When I pull with my machine, I am standing to one side and the pulling tensioner moves in front of me to my right, as I am right handed. The pulling happens from left to right, not in any way toward my body.

So if a string were to break, and somehow make it thru the grommets with a lot of speed, it might get one of my hands if they were near the racquet, but I cannot imagine how the string might make contact with my torso.

And, of course, the string would have to be a main, as I cannot imagine a cross making it all the way out of the stringbed.

If the string involved was not in the racquet and being pulled by the gripper, that is a really short piece and again, I do not see how it could hit your torso unless you were hunched over the tensioner.

I need a bit more to go on here.

Harry

zapvor 02-02-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7186090)

i think irvin imagined he could string up a racket in 4min too...then he found out the truth;)

struggle 02-02-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 7187018)
i think irvin imagined he could string up a racket in 4min too...then he found out the truth;)

forgot about that one. how did it end?

zapvor 02-02-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7187043)
forgot about that one. how did it end?

haha you can look up the thread. pretty funny. lets just say he wasnt even close......

SwankPeRFection 02-02-2013 01:48 PM

If the OP doesn't return, I think we can probably chalk this one up to a Final Destination scenario that finally found an end. :p

zapvor 02-02-2013 02:20 PM

lol thats bad.......

Irvin 02-02-2013 03:01 PM

WileyCoyote, glad to see everyone on this forum is not so gullible.

MAX PLY 02-02-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection (Post 7187212)
If the OP doesn't return, I think we can probably chalk this one up to a Final Destination scenario that finally found an end. :p

He tried to recreate it but used Kevlar. Cut him in half.:(

Irvin 02-02-2013 03:50 PM

I think tug of wars should be outlawed. I have a friend who says he was the first guy in line when the rope broke. The rope whipped back and cut his head off. He still has problems when it rains.

themitchmann 02-08-2013 03:09 PM

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3swvhe/