Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Was Sampras really 170 lbs? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453500)

Sid_Vicious 02-02-2013 05:52 PM

Was Sampras really 170 lbs?

Pete Sampras' official weight was 170 lbs in his playing days, but I don't see how he weighed 17 lbs less than Federer. They are both 6 ft 1 and Sampras actually had a more athletic-looking body than Federer.

I think Pete probably weighed 170 lbs in 1990, but they never updated his weight after that.

forzamilan90 02-02-2013 08:00 PM

Fed's weight always surprises me. He looks skinny yet weights 185. No clue how that's possible. Sampras looks like he would more.

slowfox 02-02-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forzamilan90 (Post 7187805)
Fed's weight always surprises me. He looks skinny yet weights 185. No clue how that's possible. Sampras looks like he would more.

Maybe Fed's got dense bones.

dominikk1985 02-03-2013 01:48 AM

fed also has broad shoulders despite being not really looking muscular.

he also was never really that ripped. he is not fat of course and well trained, but he doesn't look super cut, even in his prime.

World Beater 02-03-2013 06:57 AM

Federer's weight is in his legs.

Pete was very skinny as well, and then filled out later on.

Federer is also a tad bit taller than sampras.

President 02-03-2013 08:46 AM

Federer is taller (as someone already pointed out) and has a very dense and heavy bone structure, his shoulders are very broad as is his chest despite not carrying that much muscle. Even his hands are abnormally huge. Sampras' weight probably wasn't updated though.

TMF 02-03-2013 08:55 AM

I can see Pete is 170 when he was young since he was skinny. But no way he was the same weight after he bulk up and got stronger. Perhaps they never updated his profile.

Sid_Vicious 02-03-2013 04:18 PM

Federer has no significant height advantage over Sampras; he looks a bit taller in some pictures because he has a full head of hair while Sampras is balding in a hurry. Even then, in some pictures they are dead-even in height.

I think Sampras had a big frame like Federer also. He had broad shoulders, a massive right forearm (and normal looking left forearm unlike Federer's), and muscular legs. All in all,he had more muscular definition than Federer did so I'm sure he weighed more than 170.

Devilito 02-03-2013 06:41 PM

ATP profiles are never updated. Petros was 170 when he was a skinny kid breaking out on tour. In his prime he definitely bulked up a bit. Plus Fed is taller than Petros

Fearsome Forehand 02-03-2013 07:31 PM

Pete was always pretty skinny. Did you ever see him with his shirt off? Looked like the typical skinny tennis playing dude. 170 is about right for him in his playing days. I imagine he weighs more now as he is about 6'1". You have to take player's listed height and weight with a grain of salt. Not like someone actually measures them. They just fill in the blanks.

Sid_Vicious 02-03-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilito (Post 7189701)
ATP profiles are never updated. Petros was 170 when he was a skinny kid breaking out on tour. In his prime he definitely bulked up a bit. Plus Fed is taller than Petros

Since when is a quarter of an inch height difference a reasonable explanation for 17 lbs weight difference? :-?

Sid_Vicious 02-03-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 7189777)
Pete was always pretty skinny. Did you ever see him with his shirt off? Looked like the typical skinny tennis playing dude. 170 is about right for him in his playing days. I imagine he weighs more now as he is about 6'1". You have to take player's listed height and weight with a grain of salt. Not like someone actually measures them. They just fill in the blanks.

Not really. He had an athletic build

This is a skinny tennis playing dude.

dje31 02-04-2013 07:23 AM

That looks like 17 pounds of chest hair.

superdave3 02-04-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid_Vicious (Post 7189963)
Not really. He had an athletic build

This is a skinny tennis playing dude.

He looks pretty muscular to me. I heard both he and Andre were very strong, and both used customized racquets weighing in at around 14 oz. PMac said he once picked up Sampras' racquet and it felt like a club, and he couldn't figure out how anyone could play with it. There is no way Federer weighs as much as Nadal, when I see them next to each other.

NadalDramaQueen 02-04-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdave3 (Post 7190744)
He looks pretty muscular to me. I heard both he and Andre were very strong, and both used customized racquets weighing in at around 14 oz. PMac said he once picked up Sampras' racquet and it felt like a club, and he couldn't figure out how anyone could play with it. There is no way Federer weighs as much as Nadal, when I see them next to each other.

Federer has bones made of adamantium, that is the only explanation.

By the way, Pete and Roger are both pretty hairy, but Sampras takes the cake in that department. Hairy GOAT.

Moose Malloy 02-04-2013 11:34 AM

weights that CBS had in this USO match from 2001

Sampras - 176
Rafter - 191

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfDM4flKIMs

timnz 02-04-2013 02:15 PM

Sampras and Federer ARE indeed the same height

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilito (Post 7189701)

All the photos I have seen with them together show them to be the same height.

BTURNER 02-06-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timnz (Post 7191363)
All the photos I have seen with them together show them to be the same height.

Roger bends his knees to give the ol man some gravitas.

Devilito 02-07-2013 12:21 PM

fed is *slightly* taller than Petros. Only goes to show how much more amazing Petros' serve was

Sid_Vicious 02-07-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilito (Post 7198324)

fed is *slightly* taller than Petros. Only goes to show how much more amazing Petros' serve was

Let it go, dude. 1 picture does not stand well against 100s of pictures of Pete/Roger where they are virtually the same height.

The difference in height negligible.

About Sampras's serve...ROFL. You sound like one those Nadal fanboys that say "Just goes to show how amazing Nadal is. 7 RGs even with a chronic foot problem, tendonitis, and his parents splitting up."

If Sampras was David Ferrer's size, then you might have had a case, but an athletic and well-muscled 6 ft 1 guy like Sampras....cut the crap. No physical obstacle was holding Sampras back. There are plenty of guys in the 6 ft-6 ft 2 range who can serve atom bombs.