Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Prince Precision Mono 650 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453555)

OHBH 02-03-2013 01:09 PM

Prince Precision Mono 650
 
Just picked up Prince Precision Mono 650 from a dude on craiglist for $20. I am curious about people experiences with this stick. I haven't gotten to playtest it yet as there is a bit of snow on the ground. So I need suggestions on ideal strings/tensions so I can get the most out of it. I don't know what strings are currently in it (looks like prince syn gut w/duraflex in yellow, can't be sure) but they do seem to have some life left. Thoughts?




Hannah19 02-03-2013 10:46 PM

That sounds like the original strings. I've played with several set ups in it in the past. I found it a pleasant racket to play with at higher tensions, but that's just my preference.
Go at 58 with poly's and 65 with multi's.
Just give it a try with the current set up, let a good stringer check the DT on it and go from there.

vwfye 02-04-2013 08:47 AM

I loved them for doubles!!!! Fast transition stick at the net... ever! I like them strung at a lower than recommended tension.

Player#1 02-04-2013 03:32 PM

Were there ever any other good graphite monoshafts made?

Hannah19 02-05-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Player#1 (Post 7191514)
Were there ever any other good graphite monoshafts made?

I believe the Prince was a good racket. Proof of this is the fact that they are very wanted by players and collectors alike.
When ever I can acquire one, I will because I can allways sell them anyday, everyday.

GS 02-05-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Player#1 (Post 7191514)
Were there ever any other good graphite monoshafts made?

Years ago, Prince also made the monoshaft Ripstick, with a 104 sq in head, and 29" in length.
The Mono had a 97 sq in head, and was 27" in length. Connors used the Mono. Maybe he still does.

jayserinos99 02-05-2013 01:18 PM

I've picked a few up over the years. I really liked them at a lower tension; it just fit my doubles game much better. Point and shoot volleys and really biting slices that stayed low. It also opened up the sweetspot as the Mono's sweetspot wasn't exactly the biggest; even though it was a 97" the sweetspot made it seem like it was a bit smaller than that. Definitely a firm feel but not overly harsh.

Player#1 02-05-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannah19 (Post 7193303)
I believe the Prince was a good racket. Proof of this is the fact that they are very wanted by players and collectors alike.
When ever I can acquire one, I will because I can allways sell them anyday, everyday.

I also believe the Prince mono is/was a very good racket... I'm just surprised that in over 30 years of graphite frames it seems to be the only good one produced. (The ripstick looks to me like it was a rec player's stick rather than a competitive racket)

OHBH 02-05-2013 08:25 PM

Finally got a full playtest of this racket today. It definitely performed better than I had expected. Very solid stick, I am considering making it my regular playing racket.

Serves: the serve one of the strongest aspects of my game, my second serve is often stronger than my opponents first and I get a lot of free points. A racket that doesn't perform well in this category is a no-go for me. To my surprise I was able to hit the serve just as heavy and fast as with my prostaff. My accuracy on the first serve was not quite as pin-point but that is to be expected with a new racket. It would take a while before I could be in tune with it like I am with the prostaff 85.

Groundstrokes: I was getting better depth and pace than usual. Fantastic control to boot. Had my opponent running around the court like a chicken with its head cut off. Not quite as good feel or plow like the prostaff but I'm sure a fresh stringjob at lower tension can give me the dwell time I am looking for.

Slice: From what I have read the Mono is a great slice racket. I would rate it as good but not great. I get a good deal more depth and pace with the slice with my prostaff, though with the Mono I was able to get a bit more sidespin causing the ball to tail away quite a bit more.

Volleys: Just as everyone has said, this thing is fantastic at the net. I was getting much better depth and pop on volleys so I wasn't working so hard to put the ball away. After a while I became confident enough where I was serving and volleying fairly often with much success.

Returns: solid returns all day long. It was stable even against the very heavy serve of the young club pro who was filling in for some mens dubs with us.

Overall I see no real weakness in this racket. The only thing I didn't like is that it didn't have the plush feel that I am used to getting with the prostaff but I was hitting such a good quality ball that I could learn to love it, especially with a nice gut or even a multi at a lower tension. I am going to be sticking with this one a little while to see how it grows on me. A must hit IMHO

frinton 02-05-2013 08:54 PM

I haven't played with my Monos in a long time and I am not sure anymore what they used to be like exactly, how my game has evolved etc. But I played Mono for around 10 years. I loved this sticks, bit they started breaking down on me (I believe silicone in the handle dried out). Never have I volleyed anymore like I used to with the Mono. I still have 3 of them and wonder were the missing one is... I will not exclude going back to the mono at some point in time.
Did anybody else experience trouble with their Monos? Thy all felt like something was rattling inside the handle. How did you fix it?
Should TW ever consider a re-edition, I would order 4 or more of them. Also the PJ was simple beautiful.
Thinking back it feels like a childhood love ;-)

OHBH 02-05-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frinton (Post 7194784)
I haven't played with my Monos in a long time and I am not sure anymore what they used to be like exactly, how my game has evolved etc. But I played Mono for around 10 years. I loved this sticks, bit they started breaking down on me (I believe silicone in the handle dried out). Never have I volleyed anymore like I used to with the Mono. I still have 3 of them and wonder were the missing one is... I will not exclude going back to the mono at some point in time.
Did anybody else experience trouble with their Monos? Thy all felt like something was rattling inside the handle. How did you fix it?
Should TW ever consider a re-edition, I would order 4 or more of them. Also the PJ was simple beautiful.
Thinking back it feels like a childhood love ;-)

If you take off the butt cap their is a cylindrical lead weight that weighs almost ONE FULL ONCE encased in some silicone type of material. The silicone in mine had broken down into a slimy mush (Something I assume to be very common for this racket as my research has shown me). I cleaned it out and removed the weight entirely. This worked out great as the heat shrink sleeve and leather grip I installed perfectly counterbalanced the lost weight.

serve and Justin 08-05-2013 10:28 PM

I searched Prince Mono and found this...Wish I kept the test model they had sent me. I loaned it out since they asked to get another opinion on it and never got it back.

For some reason I loved serving with that goofy thing.

Rock Strongo 08-08-2013 07:04 AM

I have a Mono on my way now as well and I'm pleased to hear about it being great at net. Will pay about €30-35 for mine and can't wait to finalize the shipping info and have it in my hands around next week!

Jerry Seinfeld 01-20-2014 03:32 PM

Took a hiatus from my Mono for a few years and decided to go back to it for 2014. It is frightening to think I first played this stick 20 years ago. At that time I played with multis at high tension...around 65ish.

Man, how I've missed this stick. It is a solid performer from all areas of the court for me. I especially love the feedback I am getting from my newest string set up...I don't recall it ever feeling better or more connected to my game. Sunday was my first league match of the year and i walked off the court with a 6-1, 6-2 victory...not what I expected, that's for sure.

I have mine weighted to 11.8oz strung and the flex nowadays is down to 63. SW is in the 320s and everything is solid, stable and a pleasurable. The string setup I am using is a shaped poly main at 44lbs with a natural gut cross at 48lbs. I have tried many string setups and for me, this is a magic setup and my primary reason for posting tonight.

This racquet hums right along with today's newer strings and in fact, in spite of being 20 year old technology it is as relevant today as it was when it was first introduced...maybe moreso. Sure wish Prince would bring this technology back...it has stood the test of time and remains as much fun to hit with as ever.

frinton 01-20-2014 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Seinfeld (Post 8039008)
Took a hiatus from my Mono for a few years and decided to go back to it for 2014. It is frightening to think I first played this stick 20 years ago. At that time I played with multis at high tension...around 65ish.

Man, how I've missed this stick. It is a solid performer from all areas of the court for me. I especially love the feedback I am getting from my newest string set up...I don't recall it ever feeling better or more connected to my game. Sunday was my first league match of the year and i walked off the court with a 6-1, 6-2 victory...not what I expected, that's for sure.

I have mine weighted to 11.8oz strung and the flex nowadays is down to 63. SW is in the 320s and everything is solid, stable and a pleasurable. The string setup I am using is a shaped poly main at 44lbs with a natural gut cross at 48lbs. I have tried many string setups and for me, this is a magic setup and my primary reason for posting tonight.

This racquet hums right along with today's newer strings and in fact, in spite of being 20 year old technology it is as relevant today as it was when it was first introduced...maybe moreso. Sure wish Prince would bring this technology back...it has stood the test of time and remains as much fun to hit with as ever.

One day, I will go back to my Mono's too!
...I need to fix the problem inside the handle though first...I think replacing the silicone inside... who has experience with that? most or all of my Mono "rattle" inside the handle and I believe it is a weight that is moving due to silicone or another substance that was injected into the handle... Any help is more than welcome.

Jerry Seinfeld 01-21-2014 02:37 AM

It's an easy fix. Remove butt cap. You will find gooey silicone with a lead weight encased. Get rid of all the silicone and clean off the weight. If you want to adjust weight you can add or reduce the amount you place in the handle cavity. Once weight is added go ahead and get out your hot melt glue gun and fill the cavity with hot melt glue encasing the weights. Once the glue sets, replace butt cap and add new grip. You will be good to go. Should not have to worry about hot melt glue breaking down. Enjoy your Mono!

Long Face 04-16-2014 04:42 PM

Just bought one of these today in a used sports equipment store at $45. 4 3/8 grip. Almost new.

I will try it tomorrow evening in doubles and see how it performs.


Long Face 04-16-2014 04:44 PM

It seems to be a demo racquet.

Question: Are there different head sizes of this racquet? Mine seems to be quite big, but I am not able to find any indication of head size on the racquet. I don't know whether it is a 98, or 100, or even 110 head size.


big ted 04-16-2014 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Long Face (Post 8301510)
It seems to be a demo racquet.

Question: Are there different head sizes of this racquet? Mine seems to be quite big, but I am not able to find any indication of head size on the racquet. I don't know whether it is a 98, or 100, or even 110 head size.


i think all are 97

goran_ace 04-16-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Long Face (Post 8301510)
It seems to be a demo racquet.

All that means is that the original buyer got it for free/cheap from the rep and isn't allowed to sell that specific frame retail. Whether it was actually used as a demo vs something a teaching pro used personally you can probably tell by the amount of abuse it's been through. Looks like its in pretty decent condition though, at least in the pics.

I playtested that racket a long time ago and remember that I wasn't impressed at all. Unique design but otherwise it didn't play that great but also wasn't awful, and that's pretty much all I can say about it.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse