Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Federer Fans: What would you like Federer to finish with, ideally but realistically? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453559)

Prisoner of Birth 02-03-2013 01:29 PM

Federer Fans: What would you like Federer to finish with, ideally but realistically?

Doesn't matter if it's extremely unlikely as long as it's realistic. I'm perfectly happy with what he's already achieved and won't mind even if he wins nothing else but this is what I hope he gets to :

20 Grand Slams (8 Wimbledon, 6 USO, 2 FO, 4 AO)
8 WTF (even 7 is fine, I just want atleast 1 more)
25 Masters 1000 titles (preferably including Monte Carlo and Rome)
Olympic Gold - Singles (Pretty much the only thing he doesn't have, so why not)

That's pretty much it. Hopefully he can go past Lendl and finishes second only Jimmy Connors as the player with the most Singles titles.

DragonBlaze 02-03-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisoner of Birth (Post 7189142)
Doesn't matter if it's extremely unlikely as long as it's realistic. I'm perfectly happy with what he's already achieved and won't mind even if he wins nothing else but this is what I hope he gets to :

That's pretty much it. Hopefully he can go past Lendl and finishes second only Jimmy Connors as the player with the most Singles titles.

Lol POB, I don't understand what you mean by unlikely but still realistic?

Grgisme 02-03-2013 01:34 PM

this is not realistic

Prisoner of Birth 02-03-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonBlaze (Post 7189148)
Lol POB, I don't understand what you mean by unlikely but still realistic?

Nadal going past Federer's 17 is unlikely but realistic. Djokovic going past Federer's 17 is unlikely and unrealistic.

Prisoner of Birth 02-03-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grgisme (Post 7189153)
this is not realistic

Okay, it's realistic for me so those are my picks. You make yours.

Towser83 02-03-2013 01:36 PM

the slam tallies you mentioned are ideal really, 8 wimbys, 2 RG, 6 USO. Doesnt really need another AO

I think another RG is beyond him though, unless a situation ocurs like Nadal at number 5 plays Djokovic in the quarters and loses in 5, then Djokovic beats Murray in 4 or 5, Fed walks through Ferrer and then beats Djokovic in the final. Ths year is Fed's last chance imo. The US Open and Wimbledon could be winnable for another couple of years.

pound cat 02-03-2013 01:37 PM

Olympic singles gold...that's what he really wants more than anything

Prisoner of Birth 02-03-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pound cat (Post 7189159)
Olympic singles gold...that's what he really wants more than anything

I'm sure he'd want an 8th Wimbledon more.

cc0509 02-03-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

I am sorry, I love Federer but he is not winning 20 slams. I would be ecstatic with even one more.

kishnabe 02-03-2013 01:42 PM

He can win 1 more AO, SW19, US. 2013 FO possibly best chance at another French.

20-21 Majors.

tennis_pro 02-03-2013 01:44 PM

Already happy with what he achieved (duh...). Seriously, ever since late early 2011 when I realized he was never gonna win 1-2 majors a year again I wanted him to win one and then he won Wimbledon 2012. I've got 0 expectations from him now, whatever he wins from now on it's a bonus.

If I had to choose 1 tournament for him to win, I'd go for the 2013 FO, though (or any other future FO as long as he's active)

NadalDramaQueen 02-03-2013 01:44 PM

I would be happy with two more slams. Taking each one by GOATing all over the (potentially) best player at that slam. Let Nadal and Djokovic wipe off their faces at RG and the AO, respectively. :)

cc0509 02-03-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishnabe (Post 7189170)

20-21 Majors.

He will not likely win another AO or FO. He may win a W or a USO, but I would say only one more total. 20-21 is fantasy land.

Prisoner of Birth 02-03-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towser83 (Post 7189157)
the slam tallies you mentioned are ideal really, 8 wimbys, 2 RG, 6 USO. Doesnt really need another AO

I think another RG is beyond him though, unless a situation ocurs like Nadal at number 5 plays Djokovic in the quarters and loses in 5, then Djokovic beats Murray in 4 or 5, Fed walks through Ferrer and then beats Djokovic in the final. Ths year is Fed's last chance imo. The US Open and Wimbledon could be winnable for another couple of years.

I don't know if I'm being delusional but I'm starting to think Federer has a better shot at the French Open than at the USO. Here's my line of reasoning. At the USO, one would have to say Federer is more likely to lose than to win against Djokovic (younger and a great hardcourter), Murray (younger and a great hardcourter) and Nadal (younger and a terrible match-up) at this point. The AO is the same except that Federer has even worse odds there. That leaves Wimbledon and the FO. At Wimbledon, Federer is more likely to beat Djokovic than to lose to him, IMO. Against Murray I'd say it's 50-50. Maybe 40-60 against Nadal. So if he can avoid one of Nadal or Murray I'd say he can win Wimbledon again. Now onto the French Open. He's vulnerable there but with enough practice, I can only see him losing to Nadal or Djokovic there. Nadal is no longer the lock he once was (even though he's still the favorite) and Djokovic is definitely as vulnerable to upsets as Federer is on Clay. And Federer can certainly beat Djokovic on Clay. So if Nadal is upset, Federer has a good shot. That's what I think, anyway.

Prisoner of Birth 02-03-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc0509 (Post 7189166)
I am sorry, I love Federer but he is not winning 20 slams. I would be ecstatic with even one more.

Yeah, this is the order of likelihood, IMO

Towser83 02-03-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishnabe (Post 7189170)

20-21 Majors.

In some ways I think he has more chance at RG than at the AO now. At RG as yet Murray has not been a threat, where as at the AO he has to deal with Nadal, Djokovic and Murray. Also at the AO Djokovic is perhaps as big a problem as Nadal is at RG (Djokovic has straight setted Federer twice out of 3 meetings at the AO, Nadal has done it once out 5 meetings at RG) Federer if he avoids Nadal at RG somehow (Nadal loses to Novak or is injured) has a fighting chance against Djokovic especially if Djokovic gets nervous about the career slam, and maybe doesnt have to worry about Murray. At the AO Fed has 3 people to worry about.

But still stink it's wimby and the US that give him his only good chances to win more slams.

augustobt 02-03-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc0509 (Post 7189179)
He will not likely win another AO or FO. He may win a W or a USO, but I would say only one more total. 20-21 is fantasy land.

Why no other French Open? Did you forgotten the 2011 Clinic that he gave to Djokovic in the semi-final?

Towser83 02-03-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisoner of Birth (Post 7189187)
I don't know if I'm being delusional but I think Federer has a better shot at the French Open than at the USO. Here's my line of reasoning. At the USO, one would have to say Federer is more likely to lose than to win against Djokovic (younger and a great hardcourter), Murray (younger and a great hardcourter) and Nadal (younger and a terrible match-up) at this point. The AO is the same except that Federer has even worse odds there. That leaves Wimbledon and the FO. At Wimbledon, Federer is more likely to beat Djokovic than to lose to him, IMO. Against Murray I'd say it's 50-50. Maybe 40-60 against Nadal. So if he can avoid one of Nadal or Murray I'd say he can win Wimbledon again. Now onto the French Open. He's vulnerable there but with enough practice, I can only see him losing to Nadal or Djokovic there. Nadal is no longer the lock he once was (even though he's still the favorite) and Djokovic is definitely as vulnerable to upsets as Federer is on Clay. And Federer can certainly beat Djokovic on Clay. So if Nadal is upset, Federer has a good shot. That's what I think, anyway.

I was doing similar reasoning, but I still think if Federer plays well enough, he can certainly beat Djokovic at the US Open since Novak has always struggled to beat him there, he was effectively 2 points away from being 0-5 vs Federer at the US Open. I also think Federer if he keeps his levelthe same has the edge on Murray and might even have a chance vs Nadal. But I do think he has a better chance at RG than the AO.

cc0509 02-03-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisoner of Birth (Post 7189192)
Yeah, this is the order of likelihood, IMO

I am happy now and have lowered my expectations. He is 31 and has been inconsistent at the slams for a few years. If he manages to win one more that would be groovy! :)

ultradr 02-03-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Hmm, I don't think he is perfectly happy with what he achieved, IMHO.

I think there is a reason why he still plays.

He probably wants to show he can stand, once again, on top of this generation of
players: Nadal, Djokovic and recently surging Murray.

He doesn't wanna get pushed out by these players and retire.
He will want to stand on top and retire. All GOAT candidates tend to do that.