Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The sad downfall of swedish tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453562)

dominikk1985 02-03-2013 02:05 PM

The sad downfall of swedish tennis

I think that is a very sad story. traditionally sweden was one of the best tennis countries. they have like 30 grand slam wins and a couple of davis cups too.

however in the last years (even when sod was still playing) most the swedish guys were gone. I can understand that countries go through waves. germany lso had a big downfall after becker but at least they still had 6 or 7 top 100 guys while swedens second best player after sod (or now best player) is ranked like 400. even kasachstan has about 3 players higher ranked than the best swede:D.

I think such a downfall is absolutely unprecented in tennis. has ever a country gone from world class to nothing in such a short time? what happened?

of course the country was unlucky to lose two of the biggest hitters to ever pick up a tennis racket relatively early in their careers to injuries but still you would expect more depth in the field even with those losses.

OHBH 02-03-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominikk1985 (Post 7189231)
I think that is a very sad story. traditionally sweden was one of the best tennis countries. they have like 30 grand slam wins and a couple of davis cups too.

however in the last years (even when sod was still playing) most the swedish guys were gone. I can understand that countries go through waves. germany lso had a big downfall after becker but at least they still had 6 or 7 top 100 guys while swedens second best player after sod (or now best player) is ranked like 400. even kasachstan has about 3 players higher ranked than the best swede:D.

I think such a downfall is absolutely unprecented in tennis. has ever a country gone from world class to nothing in such a short time? what happened?

of course the country was unlucky to lose two of the biggest hitters to ever pick up a tennis racket relatively early in their careers to injuries but still you would expect more depth in the field even with those losses.

Not unprecedented, just look at U.S. tennis

beast of mallorca 02-03-2013 02:13 PM

I know. Does Sweden even have an up and coming juniors to show for ?
At least, Australia has Tomic etc in their roster.

dominikk1985 02-03-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBH (Post 7189234)

the USA still have 6 top100 guys. there are around 30 americans before the first swede.

yes american tennis declined too but sweden declined to absolute obsucrity while the USA are still around even if not top class anymore.

beast of mallorca 02-03-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Hey, we may not have a GS contender right now, but at least we have a few in the top 100, unlike Sweden.

Sid_Vicious 02-03-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

We still have plenty of guys in the top 100. As dominik said, Sweden's second best player is ranked in the 400s and the best Swede, Soderling, has been missing for over an year now.

beast of mallorca 02-03-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominikk1985 (Post 7189243)
the USA still have 6 top100 guys. there are around 30 americans before the first swede.

yes american tennis declined too but sweden declined to absolute obsucrity while the USA are still around even if not top class anymore.

beat me to it.

Sid_Vicious 02-03-2013 02:16 PM

Did Sweden recently get good at another sport? That could also explain why the attention is drifting away from tennis in Sweden.

rainingaces 02-03-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid_Vicious (Post 7189245)
We still have plenty of guys in the top 100. As dominik said, Sweden's second best player is ranked in the 400s and the best Swede, Soderling, has been missing for over an year now.

Sweden does not have a system as well as the American collage one. Swedish population is 9 million compared to 300 million. You can't compare the two.

BTW its not just Sweden its all scandinavian countries, men and women.

dominikk1985 02-03-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beast of mallorca (Post 7189239)
I know. Does Sweden even have an up and coming juniors to show for ?
At least, Australia has Tomic etc in their roster.

australia is bad too but at least they have 2 top100 guys (hewitt ight join them again soon of he stays healthy) and a ton of juniors (saville, the guy that won this years AO and some others).

sweden has daniel berta (born 92) who won 09 junior FO but he is already 21 yo now and has done absolutely nothing (high rank 600, now 1000+).

WhiskeyEE 02-03-2013 02:26 PM

You may as well title this thread "The sad downfall of Sweden." They've gone downhill in every way imaginable.

dominikk1985 02-03-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid_Vicious (Post 7189251)
Did Sweden recently get good at another sport? That could also explain why the attention is drifting away from tennis in Sweden.

they have always been good in hockey and handball. they used to have a couple very good track and field guys, but this went downhill too.

maybe this is because sweden is a very rich country. only an idiot tries to become a pro athlete because the chances are so small:D. just kidding but maybe they go for schooling and university instead of sports because they have a good future anyway.

however I'm not sure how recent that trend is, weren't the swedes already rich in edbergs and wilanders time?

Mainad 02-03-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid_Vicious (Post 7189245)

Nearly two. His last match was the final of the Swedish Open in Bastad in July 2011 (which he won).

WhiskeyEE 02-03-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominikk1985 (Post 7189297)
they have always been good in hockey and handball. they used to have a couple very good track and field guys, but this went downhill too.

maybe this is because sweden is a very rich country. only an idiot tries to become a pro athlete because the chances are so small:D. just kidding but maybe they go for schooling and university instead of sports because they have a good future anyway.

however I'm not sure how recent that trend is, weren't the swedes already rich in edbergs and wilanders time?

Sweden is not a rich country. They try to be Norway but they don't have the oil money Norway does so they just go deeper into debt to achieve the same lifestyle as them.

Bartelby 02-03-2013 04:40 PM

All the Swedes seem to have gone into fashion design.

You can trick yourself out in Acne, Nudie, etc., etc., etc., and even Bjorn Borg underwear.

slowfox 02-03-2013 06:08 PM

I like them Swedish Fish candies.

BeHappy 02-03-2013 06:39 PM

I really don't agree. Soderling would be top 10 if he came back. He's a 2 time RG finalist.

Magnus Norman was doing well before him, then you had Thomas Enqvist, Larsson, Gustaffson, Then back to the glory era of Wilander and Edberg and ultimately Borg. An unbroken string of success.

Belgium, not to mention the USA are FAR more troubling!

WhiskeyEE 02-03-2013 06:43 PM

joaquim johansson would've done well had he not gotten so injured as well

BeHappy 02-03-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeyEE (Post 7189702)
joaquim johansson would've done well had he not gotten so injured as well

Yeah and I forgot about Tomas Johannnson as well. Honestly there are so many it's very hard to remember them all.

I really hope Soderling comes back. He was my favourite player to watch when he played well because the pure power made such a good match up against the retrieving style of Murray/Nadal/Djoker.

I'm, beginning to wonder if he's trying to emulate Borg with his early retirement.

mariecon 02-03-2013 07:29 PM

I really don't think Soderling's coming back. He's been out a year and a half. And he's 28 years old. He's recently had a baby. I'd be very surprised. His career high ranking was 4. I quite liked him and am sorry to see his career end this way.