Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Base Clamps (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453571)

hyperion99 02-03-2013 06:30 PM

Base Clamps

How do you know if the base part of your clamps(Swivel) are bad?

Thanks8)

Lakers4Life 02-03-2013 06:59 PM

They slip when tensioning.

hyperion99 02-03-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7189632)
They slip when tensioning.

Yes, I seem to have what you are describing.
It's not the clamp itself that's slipping but when I pull the tension the base clamp seems to move(a little bit)even after I lock it down.
Here's the link of a picture of my base clamp.
http://www.eagnas.com/maxgen1/c90scb.html
And here's the picture of the clamp.
http://www.eagnas.com/maxgen1/pn1012.html

Could this be a matter of adjustment or does it need replacement?

Lakers4Life 02-03-2013 07:49 PM

Is the string clamp moving or the base clamp?

hyperion99 02-03-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7189707)
Is the string clamp moving or the base clamp?

The base is the part that moves slightly.
http://www.eagnas.com/maxgen1/c90scb.html

The string clamps are fine.
There's not a problem in that department.

Lakers4Life 02-03-2013 08:44 PM

Usually there is some play in the string clamp and base and it will move slightly.

If you think it's your base clamps, then you need to adjust them accordingly.

Chotobaka 02-04-2013 08:07 AM

I've always been told that spring assisted base clamps are over-worn or require adjustment whenever the fully locked position is more than the halfway point of the base. You might be able to make adjustments to compensate for normal wear. Also, over-tightening the bases reportedly leads to premature wear. YMMV.

hyperion99 02-04-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 7190432)
I've always been told that spring assisted base clamps are over-worn or require adjustment whenever the fully locked position is more than the halfway point of the base. You might be able to make adjustments to compensate for normal wear. Also, over-tightening the bases reportedly leads to premature wear. YMMV.

Yes on my base clamps it take me about 3/4 of a pull to get it locked.
Seems strange it was working fine a week ago then this started happening.

So what I need to do is make an adjustment on the bottom of my base clamps right.

Another question how do you know if your base and swivel clamps are over-worn?

struggle 02-04-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperion99 (Post 7191162)
Yes on my base clamps it take me about 3/4 of a pull to get it locked.
Seems strange it was working fine a week ago then this started happening.

So what I need to do is make an adjustment on the bottom of my base clamps right.

Another question how do you know if your base and swivel clamps are over-worn?

based on your flurry of questions (no offense, btw), I'd say they are not worn out and need some minor adjustment.

This is done bu turning the small hex screw in the side of the base clamp (the screw should have a black plastic plug covering it and it's at the big round end of the base clamp).

You'll have to tirn the base clamp so it's a 90 degrees to the table edge with the string clamp end pointing to the center of the table.

I can't recall the hex wrench size, it's fairly small and will be metric. you will barely need to turn it, most likely. Clockwise to tighten.

hyperion99 02-04-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7191184)
based on your flurry of questions (no offense, btw), I'd say they are not worn out and need some minor adjustment.

This is done bu turning the small hex screw in the side of the base clamp (the screw should have a black plastic plug covering it and it's at the big round end of the base clamp).

You'll have to tirn the base clamp so it's a 90 degrees to the table edge with the string clamp end pointing to the center of the table.

I can't recall the hex wrench size, it's fairly small and will be metric. you will barely need to turn it, most likely. Clockwise to tighten.

Yeah I did the exact same thing you said 1 1/2 week ago.
Seems to me I need to re adjust it again.

Thanks for the advice though:)

Irvin 02-04-2013 01:52 PM

Sounds like when you adjusted it you either turned it the wrong way, you did not turn it enough, or it is loosening up.

struggle 02-04-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperion99 (Post 7191206)
Yeah I did the exact same thing you said 1 1/2 week ago.
Seems to me I need to re adjust it again.

Thanks for the advice though:)

i had the same clamps (as the pic you posted, i had the combo 910) and did have to adjust them somewhat frequently for awhile (for my liking) and eventually they "seated in" at a desired workable level.

edit: also (and i still do this even with my Gamma), i would occasionally place my fingers where the base clamp and table meets....... and while releasing the lockout, you can feel if the clamp moves abit (base clamp) and once that stopped, I felt all was good (adjustment-wise).

lastly!!!!! the more you keep that base clamp in line with the direction of pull, the less it will want to pivot under tension (after tension is released from lockout). simple physics.

hyperion99 02-04-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7191224)
Sounds like when you adjusted it you either turned it the wrong way, you did not turn it enough, or it is loosening up.

Is there any way to prevent the base from loosening up?

Lakers4Life 02-04-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperion99 (Post 7191348)

Everyone says use thread locker, but eventually the parts will wear, and you will need to adjust them again and again.

hyperion99 02-04-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7191285)
i had the same clamps (as the pic you posted, i had the combo 910) and did have to adjust them somewhat frequently for awhile (for my liking) and eventually they "seated in" at a desired workable level.

edit: also (and i still do this even with my Gamma), i would occasionally place my fingers where the base clamp and table meets....... and while releasing the lockout, you can feel if the clamp moves abit (base clamp) and once that stopped, I felt all was good (adjustment-wise).

lastly!!!!! the more you keep that base clamp in line with the direction of pull, the less it will want to pivot under tension (after tension is released from lockout). simple physics.

Ok,thanks for the advice.
I'll try to adjust it again and see if that works.

BTW do all swivel clamp bases do this after a while including the high end swivel clamps stringers(aka 1k+)?

Irvin 02-04-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperion99 (Post 7191348)

Not sure how those clamps work if I had some that were losening up constantly I would replace something.

hyperion99 02-04-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7191352)
Everyone says use thread locker, but eventually the parts will wear, and you will need to adjust them again and again.

I putted NY LOX/thread lockers on my stringer.

hyperion99 02-04-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7191447)
Not sure how those clamps work if I had some that were losening up constantly I would replace something.

I agree with you on that situation but will try to re adjust to see if there's an improvement.

hyperion99 02-04-2013 04:17 PM

Thanks everybody for your help!
Will keep you posted on the progress. 8)

hyperion99 02-10-2013 08:50 AM

Status Update

Status update:
On Monday I disassembled both base clamps then took a better look into it and found out that the brake assembly was a little off position.

So I put the bases back together and adjusted the brake assembly and micro adjusted the tightness of the base.

So far it has been a week and found no problems.