Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Gut mains with what soft durable cross? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453576)

dkt 02-03-2013 06:31 PM

Gut mains with what soft durable cross?

Have been playing with Biphase to alleviate problems with my 52yo elbow and shoulder. Don't like the short life or tension loss as it begins to fray. I thought I might try gut and some multi or synthetic combination might solve my problem. Was wondering what others have had success with?

Backhanded Compliment 02-03-2013 06:52 PM

Weiscannon Silverstring is a great all around string. If you want more spin perhaps Volkel Cyclone

Overheadsmash 02-03-2013 07:32 PM

I play X1 biphase 16 with Technifibre red code 18 as a cross and it lasts a long time and hits great. Very comfortable, and not much fraying on the X1 at all. This is in an 18x20 Dunlop Biomimmetic 300 Tour at 50 lbs mains and 48 lbs crosses FYI.

ricardo 02-04-2013 12:45 PM

Head rip control 17 is my favorite cross for Gut mains

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkt (Post 7189681)
Have been playing with Biphase to alleviate problems with my 52yo elbow and shoulder. Don't like the short life or tension loss as it begins to fray. I thought I might try gut and some multi or synthetic combination might solve my problem. Was wondering what others have had success with?

I have tried many multi/synthetic strings as crosses for my Pacific Classig Gut 17g Mains.

My favorite cross is Head Rip control.
It is very comfortable very low-friction cross.

I string at 52/48 Gut/Multi/synthetics.

I average about 4 crosses per NG mains.
I just re-string the crosses when they break and leave the NG alone.

fuzz nation 02-06-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardo (Post 7191209)
I have tried many multi/synthetic strings as crosses for my Pacific Classig Gut 17g Mains.

My favorite cross is Head Rip control.
It is very comfortable very low-friction cross.

I string at 52/48 Gut/Multi/synthetics.

I average about 4 crosses per NG mains.
I just re-string the crosses when they break and leave the NG alone.

Good call - that was my suggestion, too.

scotus 02-06-2013 03:20 PM

I am not sure if RIP Control is a low-friction cross, but it does make a nice spin-friendly cross for the gut mains.

mikeler 02-06-2013 04:48 PM

I know JTEighty likes Isospeed Control or Professional Classic crosses with gut.

Jocke 02-06-2013 11:26 PM

I just got my frame strung with Pacific Classic mains and Mantis Comfort Synthetic cross. This makes a very smooth stringbed. The blacks Mantis coating I thought could make the gut slide easily. I'm not ready to make an evaluation other than I really like how it feels.

Steve Huff 02-07-2013 06:50 AM

Wilson Red Alert is about the longest lasting synthetic (non-poly) I've tried recently. I think it plays well too.

ultradr 02-07-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkt (Post 7189681)

What's your hitting style and string pattern of your racquet?

polytheist 02-07-2013 11:40 AM

If you like mushy feel like i do, gut/nvy is nice and is really gentle on the gut.

sidzej 02-07-2013 11:38 PM

I am using Tonic in mains and WC Silverstring in crosses. Before I used Tonic with Gosen Sheep Micro syngut, but the WCSS tames a bit more down the power of the gut and improves the control of the frame. I am happy with this combo. It is durable and comfortable too.

fortun8son 02-08-2013 01:07 AM

Are you sure you have the right racquet for you?
You didn't say.

mctennis 02-10-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jocke (Post 7197235)
I just got my frame strung with Pacific Classic mains and Mantis Comfort Synthetic cross. This makes a very smooth stringbed. The blacks Mantis coating I thought could make the gut slide easily. I'm not ready to make an evaluation other than I really like how it feels.

Ditto about the Gut mains and Mantis Comfort synthetic crosses. They seem to last a long time. I have also used gut mains and TiMO crosses. I'm not sure if that is too stiff of a cross for you but mine last a long, long time and isn't harsh on my arm/wrist/shoulder.