Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Does Djokovic has the worst luck in terms of sponsorship money? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453581)

martini1 02-03-2013 07:51 PM

Does Djokovic has the worst luck in terms of sponsorship money?

Other than his Head deal.

ST - ran out of money to pay any bonuses to him when he won 4 out of 5 majors and 3 in a row. Slow inventory also means lower sales and lower royalty fees.

Adidas - dropped him (or vice versa), rumored to have zero sponsorship money from them. Only got a few free pairs to wear but Adidas is getting silent advertisement from the top player in the world.

Uniqlo - Don't know the true dollar amount he banks but Uniqlo is not as loaded like Adidas or Nike. I doubt he is receiving anything close to what Fed, Rafa, or Murray are getting from their sponsors. General Uniqlo stores don't even stock Djoker clothing. All I saw was a poster of him wearig the heat tech under shirt.

The coolest deal is properly AP's. Free AP watches alone is worth it even no extra money is involved. I like Rolex too but AP is a class higher in general. RM is cool but these watches doesn't have heritage.

aimr75 02-03-2013 08:08 PM

poor Djokovic, might need to break out the violins

The Meat 02-03-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martini1 (Post 7189799)

ST - ran out of money to pay any bonuses to him when he won 4 out of 5 majors and 3 in a row. Slow inventory also means lower sales and lower royalty fees.

AO, French Open, Wimbledon, and U.S Open.

How the hell are there 5 majors?

GoodVibrations 02-03-2013 09:06 PM

Martini meant AO11, W11, US11, and AO12. The reason why he doesn't have the top sponsorships is because they're locked up on Rafa and Federer. Adidas took a chance with Murray because of the potential for a bigger market (UK versus Serbia). I'm sure they're regretting that decision now.

big ted 02-03-2013 09:35 PM

word is djokovic gets ~$6M/yr from uniqlo, maybe more with bonuses. federer gets ~$10M/yr from nike . i dont think djokovics doing too badly

Leelord337 02-03-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Adidas - dropped him (or vice versa), rumored to have zero sponsorship money from them. Only got a few free pairs to wear but Adidas is getting silent advertisement from the top player in the world.

Uniqlo - Don't know the true dollar amount he banks but Uniqlo is not as loaded like Adidas or Nike. I doubt he is receiving anything close to what Fed, Rafa, or Murray are getting from their sponsors. General Uniqlo stores don't even stock Djoker clothing. All I saw was a poster of him wearig the heat tech under shirt.

The coolest deal is properly AP's. Free AP watches alone is worth it even no extra money is involved. I like Rolex too but AP is a class higher in general. RM is cool but these watches doesn't have heritage.

Well actually the Uniqlo company is owned by one of the wealthiest billionaires in Japan..I'm pretty sure he can afford to pay djoker some bonuses.

martini1 02-04-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leelord337 (Post 7189979)
Well actually the Uniqlo company is owned by one of the wealthiest billionaires in Japan..I'm pretty sure he can afford to pay djoker some bonuses.

A company owned by a rich man does not make a company loaded up with cash when compared to Adidas or Nike. Uniqlo is small potato compared to Nike.

martini1 02-04-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big ted (Post 7189912)
word is djokovic gets ~$6M/yr from uniqlo, maybe more with bonuses. federer gets ~$10M/yr from nike . i dont think djokovics doing too badly

Fed also gets a cut on the RF logo merchandise sales. Wonder why the Fed shirts were $60 a few years ago and now it is like $90?

ramos77 02-04-2013 01:26 AM

he's not a popular number 1, other than in his home country, I dont think he's very marketable

dr325i 02-04-2013 04:35 AM

Quote:

you missed ALL of the points above.

1) ST did pay him what he achieved and was not able to keep up with him. They are still paying him when he plays for the DC team...
2) UNIQLO is a giant and I am sure has n issues covering any payment to him.
3) SOunds like Adidas is not putting ads with him out there which makes me believe, unlke before, that he gets $$ from them (not the top $ like Murray...)

dr325i 02-04-2013 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramos77 (Post 7190066)
he's not a popular number 1, other than in his home country, I dont think he's very marketable

I disagree.
He is not as marketable as RF or Rafa, however, put anything of his (UNIQLO, etc) in FS section or on E Bay and you will make $$$

Lefty78 02-04-2013 05:27 AM

How does poor Nole afford all the donkey cheese?

martini1 02-04-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr325i (Post 7190203)
you missed ALL of the points above.

1) ST did pay him what he achieved and was not able to keep up with him. They are still paying him when he plays for the DC team...
2) UNIQLO is a giant and I am sure has n issues covering any payment to him.
3) SOunds like Adidas is not putting ads with him out there which makes me believe, unlke before, that he gets $$ from them (not the top $ like Murray...)

1) They simply don't have money to pay any more bonuses, they are close to broke. There is a reason why the contract is breached and lawsuit follows.

2) NOPE. They don't pay him big enough to be compared to RF or RAFA.

3) It has been discussed many times here. Nole is not being paid by Adidas. He merely gets a free shoe deal.

Get your facts.

Borrelli 02-04-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramos77 (Post 7190066)

I think he's much more marketable than Murray.

RF20Lennon 02-04-2013 08:21 AM

Djokovic just went to the wrong people each time except when he was with Adidas. The top dogs are Nike and Adidas why he goes somewhere else despite being #1 baffles me

Cup8489 02-04-2013 08:22 AM

I think it sucks for ST that they had to drop him like that. I don't think they expected such a surge from him, and didn't think that the signing and performance bonuses would put them under. I actually really liked his stuff, but it was way too pricey and slow to get to the market for me to buy it.

Same with nike. I like alot of their releases, but 80+ for a polo or vneck is absolutely ridiculous. I can't even stomach buying shorts from them. 40 is crazy.

JRstriker12 02-04-2013 08:46 AM

No such thing as luck, only good and bad agents/management companies.

If Djoker isn't getting top dollar from his sponsors for his position in the tennis world then he can only blame his agent and himself for not doing the research and making the smart choice.

Boricua 02-04-2013 09:03 AM

I would have stayed with Adidas and be what Fed is to Nike. How long is his contract with Uniglo?

big ted 02-04-2013 10:00 AM

uniqlo is a bigger brand than people think, just not in the u.s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniqlo

ec51 02-04-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

The coolest deal is probably AP's. Free AP watches alone is worth it even no extra money is involved. I like Rolex too but AP is a class higher in general. RM is cool but these watches doesn't have heritage.

How is it that AP is a class higher than Rolex?