Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Opponent flirting with my partner!? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453589)

Relinquis 02-03-2013 10:38 PM

Opponent flirting with my partner!?

Played a match yesterday and my partner couldn't focus during points as the guy, a dark/handsome Mediterranean type, from the opposing team was flirting with her all day.

She giggled away the first set imo, but we managed to win a set to get even* before we called it a day.

Have any of you guys had to deal with this dynamic before? Do you intervene or is tennis subordinate to romance? Have you ever played against someone you liked?

This was just a friendly match, so only egos/pride at stake. I rarely play mixed doubles so this is new to me.

* Mostly due to an argument between our opponents. Dunno if it was flirting related.

stapletonj 02-04-2013 03:55 AM

Oh, this has epic comedy potential.

Girls, if the female on the other side is flirting with your partner, is it sports bra reveal time?

Guys, is the opposite when you pull your sleeves up over your shoulders and start with the "VAMOS!"? (Shorts picking is considered counterproductive to this dynamic)

IA-SteveB 02-04-2013 04:33 AM

Intervene in a friendly match? Why? Your partner didn't appear to mind it that much from your description. If it was harassing, yeah, intervene and flex your muscles.

omega4 02-04-2013 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquis (Post 7189974)
Played a match yesterday and my partner couldn't focus during points as the guy, a dark/handsome Mediterranean type, from the opposing team was flirting with her all day.

She giggled away the first set imo, but we managed to win a set to get even* before we called it a day.

Have any of you guys had to deal with this dynamic before? Do you intervene or is tennis subordinate to romance? Have you ever played against someone you liked?

This was just a friendly match, so only egos/pride at stake. I rarely play mixed doubles so this is new to me.

* Mostly due to an argument between our opponents. Dunno if it was flirting related.

I imagine as I get back into playing social and league tennis that I'll probably encounter this situation, but more so as the man who's getting to know the other mixed doubles team's woman better.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'll flirt with her but I do enjoy getting to know new people in social situations (e.g. playing mixed doubles).

I think it would be one thing if a Player A flirted with Player B solely to gain a tactical advantage to win a set or match. But it's another thing entirely if 2 people are meeting for the first time and are friendly and genuinely trying to get to know each other better.

I'm a friendly person and enjoy meeting new people. It's just who I am and I make no apologies about it.

Mongolmike 02-04-2013 05:14 AM

What is your relationship to your partner? Wife? Girlfriend? Mother?

If it is neither wife nor girlfriend... then what's it to you? She should be allowed to flirt if she likes. You said it started out as a friendly match. By the way, was the argument by any chance between you and the dark swarthy manly type opponent?

If she is your wife or girlfriend, and not knowing what type of relationship/rules you've established... nailing the guy with an overhead IS legal.

tennis tom 02-04-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

...is tennis subordinate to romance?

Yes.......

NLBwell 02-04-2013 06:17 AM

I've noticed that if the woman on the opposing team starts flirting with me, my mixed doubles partner's tennis game just falls apart.

Legend of Borg 02-04-2013 06:21 AM

Mixed doubles is so troll I don't even know why people make threads about it.

It's like tennis lite.

spot 02-04-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Have any of you guys had to deal with this dynamic before? Do you intervene?

Once again I don't even understand what you are asking. Intervene!? What does that even mean? Who would feel the need to intervene because 2 people were flirting!?

sureshs 02-04-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legend of Borg (Post 7190338)

Because you read and post in them?

Legend of Borg 02-04-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7190383)
Because you read and post in them?

Go troll some Federer thread or something.

omega4 02-04-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legend of Borg (Post 7190338)

It's like tennis lite.

Maybe it's because most tennis players aren't playing on the tour and earning a living playing tennis.

I compete where it matters (e.g. at work where my professional and financial livelihood is at stake).

Playing tennis or golf? Not so much.

NadalDramaQueen 02-04-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

This never happens to me, as everyone on the courts (male and female) tends to flirt with me. :cool:

I can imagine that this is very distracting to my partner, mostly because they become jealous themselves. :lol:

To be honest, if it was a friendly match, let it go unless your partner is your significant other or your partner lets you know that it is really bothering them.

aurelius 02-04-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Just flip the script and use her to your advantage with return flirting. The opposing guy will fall apart - have you tried to serve or run down a ball with a stiffy?

omega4 02-04-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalDramaQueen (Post 7190418)
This never happens to me, as everyone on the courts (male and female) tends to flirt with me. :cool:

I can imagine that this is very distracting to my partner, mostly because they become jealous themselves. :lol:

To be honest, if it was a friendly match, let it go unless your partner is your significant other or your partner lets you know that it is really bothering them.

We should be doubles partners. I guarantee that I won't be jealous or distracted, as the other team will be busy flirting with us both LOL....

pabletion 02-04-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Can you please post pics of your playing partner? I'm an expert.... I'll let you know if it was flirting or not and what she can do about it.......

blakesq 02-04-2013 08:08 AM

how in the world would you "intervene"? and is there any way to intervene in such a situation without looking like a complete ******?

Quote:

chollyred 02-04-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omega4 (Post 7190212)
I imagine as I get back into playing social and league tennis that I'll probably encounter this situation, but more so as the man who's stalking the other mixed doubles team's woman.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'll stalk her but I do enjoy getting to know new people in social situations (e.g. playing mixed doubles).

I think it would be one thing if a Player A flirted with Player B solely to gain a tactical advantage to win a set or match. But it's another thing entirely if 2 people are meeting for the first time and are friendly and genuinely trying to get to know each other better.

I'm a friendly person and enjoy stalking new people. It's just who I am and I make no apologies about it.

Fixed it for ya.... :twisted:

tennis_ocd 02-04-2013 09:12 AM

Did they both take a 7 minute bathroom break before the 3rd set, 10-point, tie break?

beernutz 02-04-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_ocd (Post 7190712)
Did they both take a 7 minute bathroom break before the 3rd set, 10-point, tie break?

Which begs the question of what would you call the equivalent of the "Mile High Club" for tennis?