Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Winter gear for cold courts indoors (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453604)

stapletonj 02-04-2013 05:24 AM

Winter gear for cold courts indoors

Hey all

Got some ideas and requests for this winter's indoor play.
I play at a municipal facility that doesn't really get the courts very warm during the winter (bubble) Not complaining, cuz rates are pretty cheap.

I have been wearing those running sleeve thingies for the 1st 20-30 minutes before things are pumping (after warmup in warmups). They seem to work pretty well in keeping the chill off my arms, but allowing free range of motion on things like quick reaction shots, etc. You can even fold them down 1/2 way as you progressively warm up.
It seems to me that long sleeve shirts and/or turtlenecks (even polypro) are just a little binding and inhibit play somewhat. (prob just psychological, but whatever).
Now, about those legs......

Warmup pants thoroughout play really are too binding, and it's always a little cold when they are off and I am just in shorts.

long Bike compression shorts are a possibility, but that would only be for the upper thigh.

full length running tights make me feel like I'm heading over to the Blue Oyster Bar right after this set (and if you get warm, you are out of luck)

Has anyone tried those over then calf, but stop right at the ankle stretchy things that some runners are using? Should I just go all 1973 and pull on the over the calf basketball socks with contrasting stripes? (are the short short basketball shorts required with this, along with hippie hair, terrycloth headband, and yellow aviators?). Also, man, I checked out the prices and the little calf sleeves can get pretty pricey. I was even checking out old guy compression sleeves from Wal-MArt

Anybody got any insider tips, etc.?

stapletonj 02-04-2013 05:10 PM

wow

107 views and no replies?

crickets*

dkmura 02-04-2013 05:47 PM

I live in Colorado and believe it or not, we've played a lot of outdoors tennis this winter. For cold weather clothing tips, my fleece vest really helps once I get warm enough to pull off the warmup top. The latest knee length shorts (like the Fila training shorts I bought from TW) add enough warmth that my quads and hammies stay warm unless it's under 40 degrees F. Other than that, I try not to get too frustrated when I miss shots in the cold. After all, tennis on free public courts is better than no tennis at all!

3fees 02-05-2013 08:49 AM

I use Fila warm ups top and bottom, they dont bind too much

Smasher08 02-06-2013 08:32 AM

What you will wear will ultimately depend on how cold it is. Personally I've played outdoors many times with the temperature between 0'C and +4, I end up wearing compression shorts and a long sleeve base layer top, with a microfleece top, underneath a RF jacket. As for bottoms I find I don't need any fleece and am fine with just standard warm up pants. Once I've been moving around for 10-15 mins, I feel perfectly fine.

So for indoors where there's no wind, you'll probably be fine with compression baselayers underneath your regular tennis shirt and shorts. But if the temperature gets lower than 7 or so, you'll probably want another layer.

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-06-2013 08:38 AM

If it's indoor then it ain't cold.

Smasher08 02-06-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7195462)
If it's indoor then it ain't cold.

I've experienced indoor temperatures around 2-5'C. I've also been in bubbles that are +25 when it's -10 outside.

Some bubble operators are good and some are cheap.

dman72 02-06-2013 10:06 AM

A compression shirt and shorts underneath does a lot to help keep warm.

When I play early morning indoors at my club, it is usually pretty cold..I just leave on the warmup pants and I have a long sleeve dry-fit type shirt with a compression shirt underneath.

bosssauce 02-06-2013 01:19 PM

Running spandex