Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Requesting Recommendation (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453641)

gtshark1 02-04-2013 08:51 AM

Requesting Recommendation

Profile-
*34 Male (high 4.0/low 4.5 last time I played competitively)
*Big 1st serve/Kick for 2nd
*Can hit a big forehand but prefer to counter punch. Not Backboard but use what opponent gives me.
Not a big string breaker but I do use above average spin on most shots
*Like to come to net

What I'm looking for in a string setup-
*Control over power but a good amount of power is ok
*I know player generates spin but the string assisting is welcome
*Feel is important as I like pocketing but crisp feel is most important

Past use-
I have used a ton of setups: Full Beast XP, many poly main/synth gut cross hybrids, I like Vokyl Cyclone hybrid with micro sheep but it went dead too fast.

Racquet- Mostly use Prince Ozone Tour but I'm a prince team pro so I have used a ton of the newer EXO3's. Have recently been hitting with the Warrior Team and enjoyed it with Premier attack.

Questions-
I have never used a multi consistently, I usually use full bed poly or poly w/syn. Is a poly main/multi cross for me? I like the textured Cyclone, any others that would fit my profile better?

Notes-
I string for myself so any combinations or recommendations are possible. I have just been all over the place with string lately and would like to find something to settle in on. I know for sure I'm not wanting full synthetic. Just too springy for for me. I want bite with crisp feel. So fire away!

mikeler 02-04-2013 09:06 AM

I like poly/multi hybrids when my arm will cooperate.

gtshark1 02-04-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7190698)
I like poly/multi hybrids when my arm will cooperate.

Mikeler thanks for bringing that up. I forgot to mention that I have never experienced any kind of arm issues.

Would a textured poly in the mains go well with a multi like Premier Attack? Do you have any other suggestions on the mulit as I'm not familiar with hardly any at all.

Doubles 02-04-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtshark1 (Post 7190743)
Mikeler thanks for bringing that up. I forgot to mention that I have never experienced any kind of arm issues.

Would a textured poly in the mains go well with a multi like Premier Attack? Do you have any other suggestions on the mulit as I'm not familiar with hardly any at all.

Textured poly will rip through a multi faster than almost anything else.

gtshark1 02-04-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles (Post 7190848)
Textured poly will rip through a multi faster than almost anything else.

That was a concern I had so thanks for confirming that. I'm not a big string breaker and I save money by stringing myself but again, that's something I wanted to know.

mikeler 02-04-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtshark1 (Post 7190743)

Premiere Attack would be a good first start. Put in whatever poly you want with it. It will last long enough that you should be cutting out the poly anyways.

TennisCJC 02-05-2013 09:07 AM

Since you like cyclone/syn gut; demo:

1. tecnifibre ruff code 17G poly/tecnifibre NRB2 16G multi
2. SigPro Tornado 17G poly/tecnifibre NRG2 16G multi

Another thought is using volkl syn gut 16g as the cross instead of the more expensive multi. I have used this a lot lately and it is a slick syn gut that will not stick - low friction coefficient.

I am currently using Tecnifibre NRG2 17G mains/Tecnifibre Ruff Code 17G cross and really like it. Have been using softer string in mains lately but played poly mains in past.

The Ruff code is also kind of slick feeling too which is good in my opinion.

Cfidave 02-06-2013 12:38 PM

Although a little pricey, one of the nicest playing hybrids I have ever played with is Solnico Revolution mains and Technifiber Biophase in the crosses. Incredible ball pocketing, very good spin, comfort is very good, and depending on tension, power level is very controllable. I actually prefer this to nat gut hybrids.

fortun8son 02-06-2013 05:25 PM

I've had good results from both BHBR17/OGSM17 and Blackout/Gamma Syngut 16 (not wearguard!).
The Gamma performs very well as a cross with various polys. It's comfy, durable, lively, and cheap.
Not to mention the cool colors.

PrincessAdam 02-06-2013 05:52 PM

Try some shaped polys like Kirschbaum black shark, Volkl Cyclone TOUR (I found it had a lot more power than reg cyclone) and maybe Weiss cannon 5edge. As for a multi in the cross, if you aren't a string breaker and cut out poly/syn gut because it goes dead, I'd say it wouldn't break the bank using poly/multi. You'll break it a little faster, but you probably won't have to cut it out before it breaks because it goes dead. I really recommend Volkl Cylclone Tour 17/ Premier attack at mid to lower tensions. Idk your racuet but maybe 53 mains and 55 crosses. That setup would feel great to me.

Centerforward71 02-06-2013 05:55 PM

Full bed genesis twisted razor. Or hybrid with a good syn cross. I prefer full bed. This string doesn't get enough good support.

You mentioned your desires but can you tell us your level and style of play. Some guys want power because their strokes lack it others because they can generate the spin to control it. Sometimes we're looking for a string fix when it's the stroke that needs it a lot more. I am one that has done that and I feel I got a decent game but realized that I needed some mechanics changes to achieve certain things .not trying to be condescending just offering point of view and experience.